Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daaang blink why you so expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried charging on blink as an experiment to see how it worked and what it costs.

$4 for about 15 miles, why would anyone ever use that a 2nd time other than for an emergency?

DCFC's aren't cheap to buy and install. They gotta charge substantially more than the cost of the electricity to have any hope of turning a profit.

Blink - Driving Electric

Looks like the "guest" rate is $0.69/kWh in CA, $0.59/kWh in OR and WA, and a flat price of $15/session in all other states.

I also signed up for Blink and gave it a try in SoCal. It was promoted as Level 2. In about 2 hours of charging, it gave me 32 miles of range and charged my AMX about $4.68!!! Commuters were leaving their cars charge there all day. At this rate, how is it cost effective? How could you use Blink when traveling? In many states, this is more expensive than gas. Aside from the cost, 16 miles per hour of charge? Other than an emergency, what good is Blink? I guess I am just spoiled by Tesla Super Chargers and wanted to 'vent a little'.

You all bring up a good point. I should be getting my X in 4 weeks or so. Besides the Superchargers, are there any really decent public charging options for our Teslas? I know I can do a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park overnight, but what about something a little faster? Does the ChadeMo adapter work well with systems like EA? Thanks!

You all bring up a good point. I should be getting my X in 4 weeks or so. Besides the Superchargers, are there any really decent public charging options for our Teslas? I know I can do a NEMA 14-50 at an RV park overnight, but what about something a little faster? Does the ChadeMo adapter work well with systems like EA? Thanks!

Blink is the only one I have tried. My Tesla charger at home is set at 240v/40A and it works great. I never ever have an issue at home. I've never had an issue finding a convenient Super Charger in another city or on a freeway. They seem to be adequately spaced. But most hotel / motel chargers seem to be 8-16 amp as do most public chargers. Most hotels only have 2 chargers and you have to be a hotel guest. If two Tesla owners are staying there and keep the chargers occupied overnight, you are out of luck. Depending on availability in Texas and where you travel, my advice would be to simply plan on using the Super Chargers. (Install your home charger prior to delivery.)

One of the many things Tesla is doing right, is placing Super Chargers at or very near large malls, restaurants, etc. Example: Super Chargers in Barstow, CA are located in the Chili's parking lot at the Outlet Malls. Instead of a quick 15 minute charge, we have lunch and shop a little so we can top off to 300 miles. In Carlsbad, the Super Chargers are a block away from a few excellent restaurants and a great grocery store. Lunch, shopping, and we are fully charged without wasting time. I'd plan on public chargers only to get you to a Super Charger or home.

On a side note: Congratulations. The Model X will exceed all your expectations. ;+)

• Love
Reactions: wreighven
I also signed up for Blink and gave it a try in SoCal. It was promoted as Level 2. In about 2 hours of charging, it gave me 32 miles of range and charged my AMX about $4.68!!! Commuters were leaving their cars charge there all day. At this rate, how is it cost effective? How could you use Blink when traveling? In many states, this is more expensive than gas. Aside from the cost, 16 miles per hour of charge? Other than an emergency, what good is Blink? I guess I am just spoiled by Tesla Super Chargers and wanted to 'vent a little'.

That's exactly the point of why I created this thread. Concern that when competition comes online with less efficient cars that EV will be labeled as more "Expensive" than gasoline by the general public.

Could Taycan, Mustang-e, Rivian etc. hurt Tesla in a way you wouldn't think

$4 for about 15 miles, why would anyone ever use that a 2nd time other than for an emergency?
DCFC's aren't cheap to buy and install. They gotta charge substantially more than the cost of the electricity to have any hope of turning a profit.
You might as well whine about why that omelette at the restaurant costs $8.50 instead of the couple of bucks it would cost you to fry eggs in your own kitchen. It's traveling/vacation pricing, and it's a fact of life.

A few years ago, I was going to Seattle for a concert. Seattle didn't have any Superchargers yet, so I went and used a Blink CHAdeMO in the Auburn, WA area a few times while I was there, and it cost...whatever the hell it cost. I didn't pay much attention or care. It's vacation prices, and you use a little bit of it when you're away from home. Superchargers are certainly better, but aren't everywhere.

Reactions: jsmay311
Opted to use Blnk on a recent trip because it was what our hotel had (and didn't want to spend vacation time at a supercharger). I let the hotel know they had other options and based on the number of Tesla's in the parking lot they should explore those other options. It would count against them next time we were in town.

Like others have said, it's slow and expensive.