Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dad wants to test drive the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my dad, who lives out of state and is 76 and somewhat tech challenged, is visiting me this weekend. He's interested in the Model Y for his next car, and we have a Tesla store here, so I offered to accompany him on a test drive while he's here.

I have a 2018 S75D, and have had it for almost two years now. I know it pretty well. But I've never been in another Tesla besides mine, except for two years ago when I also drove an X.

What are the differences between operating/controlling the S and the Y? What might I need to know about the Y that will be different from my S? Its my understanding that this will be a no contact test drive, so it will just be me, my dad, and the Y. No sales consultant.

What are the differences between operating/controlling the S and the Y? What might I need to know about the Y that will be different from my S? Its my understanding that this will be a no contact test drive, so it will just be me, my dad, and the Y. No sales consultant.

Don't look for a lot of information behind the steering wheel! :)

But seriously. Just a matter of where to find the information and how you manipulate it. Steering wheel switches are going to control things differently. Turn signal stalk does things differently. Maybe just a basic test drive at this juncture with small additives like TACC.

For a test drive I don't think it will be a big difference. Same gas pedal, brakes, put it in gear and go. The differences will be when you want to adjust the mirrors, or initiate auto-pilot, open the glovebox, or open the doors, as those will be quite a bit different than the Model S. However, I think your dad and you will quickly figure those out.

...What are the differences between operating/controlling the S and the Y?...

If you are used to looking at the instrument clusters in front of you, now it's on your right at the central screen.

The turning signal stalk does not have a traditional "click", it's clickless.

The Autopilot stalk is now combined with the gear stalk by pulling down once for TACC or twice for Autosteer.

As @kingkong5 said:

There's no lever to pull from inside to open the doors. Click on the door opener button then push your door out.

You need the central screen to operate side mirrors, windshield wipers, glovebox...

Reactions: kingkong5