Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dad with teenage son torn over getting Performance versus Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeking a compromise on size: I would probably consider if Smart ED, like Renault Twingo, was too small for teenagers. The likelihood of a crash is much higher in that stage of car ownership and with small cars crumple zones are naturally less, the Smart of course being an extreme example. I like Smart as a car, but just to go with my "sufficient size" point, I think a size class or two upwards, the safety for occupants and safety for bystanders ratio could be more optimal.

I do get the point of a single passenger, that is a valid point. And safety ratings mean size isn't everything. One more point, though: experience with microcars in Europe (also limited to two) has shown teenagers tend to pack an extra passenger (sometimes even more than that) illegally in the tiny trunk and the front passenger seat. That may be even more dangerous, if the driver doesn't have sufficient space to operate the vehicle, and of course is dangerous in the event of a crash for occupants because there aren't enough seatbelts for all. Kids can be resourceful at times.

So, it is of course a multi-faceted issue and any decisions must be made based on what makes sense for the individual situation. :)

Seeking a compromise on size: I would probably consider if Smart ED, like Renault Twingo, was too small for teenagers. The likelihood of a crash is much higher in that stage of car ownership and with small cars crumple zones are naturally less, the Smart of course being an extreme example. I like Smart as a car, but just to go with my "sufficient size" point, I think a size class or two upwards, the safety for occupants and safety for bystanders ratio could be more optimal.

I do get the point of a single passenger, that is a valid point. And safety ratings mean size isn't everything. One more point, though: experience with microcars in Europe (also limited to two) has shown teenagers tend to pack an extra passenger (sometimes even more than that) illegally in the tiny trunk and the front passenger seat. That may be even more dangerous, if the driver doesn't have sufficient space to operate the vehicle, and of course is dangerous in the event of a crash for occupants because there aren't enough seatbelts for all. Kids can be resourceful at times.

So, it is of course a multi-faceted issue and any decisions must be made based on what makes sense for the individual situation. :)

What isn't known that well, is the Smart is built around a crash cage. The entire passenger's compartment, they call it a tridion safety cell.

The Smart ED is easy to drive safely because the driver is keenly aware of everything around, the visibility is beyond compare. The quiet electric drive means easier to hear people or other vehicles around it. I consider it the perfect city runabout.
My son didn't like to be seen in it with me,but would love to drive it. ;-)
Plus, fixing it is far less expensive than practical anything else, as the exterior panels are plastic and easily replaceable.
Love it.

What isn't known that well, is the Smart is built around a crash cage. The entire passenger's compartment, they call it a tridion safety cell.

Smart has great safety for its size, no doubt. I really like Smart. I was merely wondering if the best "compromise" size for safety for teenagers wouldn't be something a little above that size-wise. Of course any bigger car with worse safety record wouldn't be an improvement. :)

Smart has truly been an innovator in many areas, they used to have (do they still?) these vending machines you could buy cars from, like a can of soda. Something that we might expect from the likes of Tesla perhaps. Were it not for their petrolhead mother company, maybe they could have been even more innovative and trailblazing in the BEV sector.

It is true visibility is important too, so a car with great visibility sounds good for younger drivers especially.

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord with fading black paint, and no safety features beyond the non-retracting seat belt and recalled airbag, but I couldn't ask for more. As a junior in Civil Engineering classes, I'm just trying to get to the point where I'm financially stable enough to seriously start financing a house and a Model 3.

Give your son a Leaf and let him use the S on occasion, with the condition he detail it afterward. He gets the safety of a modern electric car, and you get a sparkling Model S.

Also, the valet mode is definitely recommended. I know from three scientific experiments that the '02 Accord, "easily," gets up to 105 mph. In hindsight, that was really stupid and I'm never doing it again.

The teenage brain (and, in fact, until about age 26) is fundamentally incapable of accurately evaluating risk. That's why X games, etc. are filled
With youngsters doing things that anyone approaching their 30's would walk away from as insane and likely to result in traumatic brain injuries. It's also why, no matter how 'responsible' a kid is, you should no-way, no-how allow them behind the wheel of a car with the performance of a Tesla, even an S60! I'm waiting for my MX so I don't know the details of valet mode, but if it's 4 digits and doesn't have a lock out after a certain number of failed tries, I wouldn't even do that. I was a very responsible teenager, but I SMH when I look back at some of the risks I took and I would have considered Valet mode a challenge to beat, not because I wanted the full performance but because it was there!

One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how responsible he is, his first car is going to find every curb, pothole, light post and bumpers of other peoples cars. I suggest just getting him something you won't mind taking a little battle damage.

I drive a 2002 Honda Accord with fading black paint, and no safety features beyond the non-retracting seat belt and recalled airbag, but I couldn't ask for more. As a junior in Civil Engineering classes, I'm just trying to get to the point where I'm financially stable enough to seriously start financing a house and a Model 3.

Give your son a Leaf and let him use the S on occasion, with the condition he detail it afterward. He gets the safety of a modern electric car, and you get a sparkling Model S.

Also, the valet mode is definitely recommended. I know from three scientific experiments that the '02 Accord, "easily," gets up to 105 mph. In hindsight, that was really stupid and I'm never doing it again.

I was actually going to recommend a Honda Accord… with a manual transmission.

A 4-cylinder Accord is big enough to be safe, peppy but not overly powerful, and handles well. A manual transmission also forces the driver to pay attention, because it's difficult if not impossible to drive and eat/text/talk at the same time.

She rightfully points out that even our standard S85 (Tessie) is crazy fast and that her brother would be tempted to use the PX power in dangerous ways.
Your post serves as a warning to those of us who name our cars. I think there are 23,791 Teslas out there named Tess.
When the time comes for a second one, you can't name that one Tess, too.

(Tesla is a man's last name, anyway!)

As a shareholder, I want you to get every profit-packed option available. As a dad, I think you already know in your gut what path to take! Very interesting topic and look at all the discussion it's generated - thanks for letting us try to help.

I do feel a very real solution to the dilemma is an improved 'valet mode'.....a more user friendly/adjustable 'safe mode'. As TM does not offer this yet I agree that letting a teenager drive any version of an '85 may put too much power in the hands of an inexperienced driver. So, the dilemma: Do you put your son/daughter in an S in 'valet mode' as it is the safest car for the occupants on the road today OR get them a 'less safe for the occupants' vehicle with far less power? I can't answer that for everyone, but for my only daughter, I will pick the former and hope for a 'safe mode' from TM over time.

Setting aside my personal belief that every kid should start with the worst car he'll ever own so that he learns to appreciate the value of earning better cars and taking care of them rather than taking things like a P90D Model X for granted at such a young age, I don't think you're being "impractical" or "disrespectful" towards your son with valet mode. I'd suggest, as others in this thread already have, that you're doing the opposite: you're exercising good parenting skills.

Though I would again agree with others in this thread to never let your 16-year-old behind the wheel of the X -- performance model or not -- and get him his own, age- and driving experience-appropriate car. I know many parents like to try and justify getting their children nice cars by crying "But [INSERT EXPENSIVE CAR] is so safe!" but really there are PLENTY of low-cost, teenager-appropriate cars that will keep them safe should they or someone else on the road do anything stupid.

I know the OP has said he'll allow the son to drive it with the Valet Mode only. However, consider this. If he didn't go for the P option, he'd save enough to buy a Smart ED for his son, giving his son a "trainer" vehicle. :tongue:

Teenager and a Tesla (in any mode) is almost certainly a crash waiting to happen. Possibly fatal. No teenage driver with a freshly minted license should be given a Tesla. Simply too dangerous.

And even if no accidents happen you run the risk of dents, scrapes, parking damage and so on. And the aluminium body is really expensive to fix.

I would say cheap used leaf. It's safe and not too powerful. And it's smaller and more manueverable. Perfect for the first 4-5 years of driving.

Our daughter was in a number of accidents when she was a teenager. One of those was a rollover where the entire roof was smashed to become the height of the hood followed by a call from the local hospital. She was luckily fine with just a few bruises. This was in an Nissan Altima btw. We had a Thunderbird for a short while. She left a 20ft tire mark on the sidewalk with it after being upset with a boyfriend one day. Needless to say, she was grounded from driving more then she was able to drive. We had her turn in her license after a/the accidents.

I would never let a teenager drive any expensive car. If you really feel you need to buy him a car, find a cheaper safe one he can do less damage in, both to himself as well as others. We found out that the best thing to do was to make her pay for her own car. This was the one she was more careful with. We of course made sure we could approve her car purchase choice.

Buy what you feel is right for you. It doesn't give your kids any rights to share it.

Just my $0.02 worth after dealing with a very irresponsible teenager who is now a very responsible adult :smile: