Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dad with teenage son torn over getting Performance versus Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teenager and a Tesla (in any mode) is almost certainly a crash waiting to happen. Possibly fatal. No teenage driver with a freshly minted license should be given a Tesla. Simply too dangerous.

And even if no accidents happen you run the risk of dents, scrapes, parking damage and so on. And the aluminium body is really expensive to fix.

I would say cheap used leaf. It's safe and not too powerful. And it's smaller and more manueverable. Perfect for the first 4-5 years of driving.

Hell, my wife refuses to drive my Model S. Too big - too powerful - too easy to curb a rim or worse. The LOVES to be the passenger though. She prefers that I drive anyways, since she would rather not drive generally.

I haven’t read this entire thread.

And I’m only a layman when it comes to car crash safety.

But my guess is that if anyone thinks the Smart is a safe car, then they’re delusional.

Just a note about the Smart For Two, the original petrol version rates 3 stars in the Euro crash tests and it holds up pretty well based on this UK Fifth Gear video.

BUT

What does Vicky Butler-Henderson say at ~8:05?

.../ But here’s the rub: The cars may have stood up to the severity of the crash surprisingly well, but the humans inside wouldn’t. No matter what you drive, rapidly decelerating from higher speeds is something your internal organs simply can not cope with. The chilling truth is the peope inside both cars would have been very unlikely to have survived. [My underline.] /...

PLEASE DO NOTE the following in the beginning of the video immediately above:

Smart Poor.png

More here:

Smart EV (or ED) - Post #179 | TMC

…and here:

Saved by smart fortwo structure - Post #2 | TMC

If I were you and living in the US and could afford it, I would at least see to it that my children drove something the size of a Volvo C30/S40, VW Golf, Ford Focus EV, Toyota Prius or Chevy Volt. Note though, that I can’t vouch for the safety of any of those vehicles. You’ll have to do your own due diligence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Nissan Leaf for my kids because of the safety ratings:

2012LEAF Crash-Test Ratings

So I get a call from my daughter, 18, crying so much I can barely understand her (my heart sinks) as she tells me she's been in an accident:

Leaf.jpg

The accident is close to home, so I race over. She was rear ended by a truck while waiting at a light and pushed into the car in front of her. She was hit by a 17 year old male driver, and pushed into a 18 year old female driver. All three vehicles had "N" 's on them (required for new drivers - L for one year, while "Learning" then "N" for one year while being a "New" driver). Thankfully, she wasn't pushed into oncoming traffic, or the road in front with traffic.

The Leaf is now in the shop being repaired. The estimate is $17 to $20k. I thought it would be written off (it's damaged to the front too but not as bad - only bumper damage) but Leafs up here cost a lot more than in the States (and with the tank in our dollar it's not worth importing them anymore - mine is used from Washington State when our dollar was at par). I wanted it fixed since the actual cash value is not worth taking - and I have taken such good care of the battery.

The important thing is my daughter, and everyone else in the accident, are okay. I posted earlier in this thread the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of death for teenagers. Scary. That's why I got her a Leaf. She really can't go anywhere with it and that suits me just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Nissan Leaf for my kids because of the safety ratings:

2012LEAF Crash-Test Ratings

So I get a call from my daughter, 18, crying so much I can barely understand her (my heart sinks) as she tells me she's been in an accident:

View attachment 88180

The accident is close to home, so I race over. She was rear ended by a truck while waiting at a light and pushed into the car in front of her. She was hit by a 17 year old male driver, and pushed into a 18 year old female driver. All three vehicles had "N" 's on them (required for new drivers - L for one year, while "Learning" then "N" for one year while being a "New" driver). Thankfully, she wasn't pushed into oncoming traffic, or the road in front with traffic.

The Leaf is now in the shop being repaired. The estimate is $17 to $20k. I thought it would be written off (it's damaged to the front too but not as bad - only bumper damage) but Leafs up here cost a lot more than in the States (and with the tank in our dollar it's not worth importing them anymore - mine is used from Washington State when our dollar was at par). I wanted it fixed since the actual cash value is not worth taking - and I have taken such good care of the battery.

The important thing is my daughter, and everyone else in the accident, are okay. I posted earlier in this thread the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of death for teenagers. Scary. That's why I got her a Leaf. She really can't go anywhere with it and that suits me just fine!

Oh, dang. Glad she's alright brother.

My son is your girl's age, and my daughter is a decade apart. Probably gonna get that call one day, and I can just imagine how you felt at that moment.

Glass, metal & rubber can all be repaired/replaced...glad to hear ALL the kids involved came away unhurt.

Safety is important, my Smart ED has 8 air bags, safety cell, stability and traction control, anti lock brakes, and more. My son won't be taking it on any major highway, as that is not permitted in the initial phase of his license. It's infinitely more safe than the 1972 Plymouth Satellite that I had access to at his age...and look how I turned out. ;-)