Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Daddy, it's like we're famous!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title is a quote from our 9 year old daughter after numerous people stopped and started taking photos.

We picked up for our car (vin 48XX) in Denver yesterday. Shout out to the whole Tesla crew who was so polite and welcoming. Our DS, Denton (who is superb), has kept us in the loop, since going into production and even remember when we test drove and placed our deposit with him 3 years ago.

The car is simply incredible. We're going from an ICE to a X, so it's really a stunning feeling, more than those upgrading from their S. I've been following the forums for since the Founder's editions went out. We put our reservation in about 3 years ago, so we have been waiting patiently since then. We've talk about switching to an S on a number of occasions but decided to continue to be patient. For those deciding between the S and X, I would say you can't go wrong with either car, but we personally are so happy we stuck with our decision. As early sig owners gave feedback on build quality and problems we got extremely worried but decided to give Tesla and Elon the benefit of the doubt. We placed our order in early Jan.

I feel Tesla has really ironed out the issues.
  • We were worried about alignment of the FWD's; not an issue, they look great and alignment is spot on.
  • We worried about the FWD and parking in our garage; not an issue as long as we back into our garage. FWD sense my motorcycle parked tightly besides the car and adjust appropriately. Actually it's amazing to watch. I'll have to post a video at one point.
  • We didn't notice any glass distortion issues.
  • The seals on the car all look great.
  • The front doors function fantastically, with the exception of a continual clicking noise when on incline such as our driveway. I'll have to investigate if it's normal or will require a fix down the line.
What really floors us about the car:
  • Even in just a 90D, acceleration is incredible. When I think of how heavy the vehicle is, I'm floored with how quick it is. My wife has told me numerous times to stop it.
  • Handling is so nice when at speed. The stability of a battery pack for this SUV/CUV really hands down better than anything we test drove in the SUV/CUV department.
  • A touchscreen display really does revolutionize the experience. When we decided 3 years ago on the X, we also considered the Acura MDX. Our problem with it was, that it was way too busy with too many buttons and dials. Having such a clean looking and highly functional display is liberating.
  • Auto pilot is just jaw dropping. Getting over letting the car drive itself is daunting, but after about 15 mins, I sat in awe. Being a tech guy, the engineering that went into it was truly impressive to me. It's also going to save me from speeding tickets as I'm much more willing to trail other cars while in AP. :)
  • Plugging it in. Super liberating to stop visiting the gas station. We also installed solar panels so we feel great to help contribute to a solution.
  • 1 pedal driving - wasn't sure I'd like this but I'm loving driving with the regen. Take a little getting use it, but it becomes entertaining on how well I can time the stopping distance.
  • Finally the FWDs - they are amazing. It's an engineering feat that I just admire. We pay more attention to what we park under, but so far the doors have not let me down. The kids love the attention they get. People have been really nice and interested in the vehicle. The doors draw an emotional reaction from people of "Wow". This car wouldn't be the same with standard doors. Part of a car should be how it makes you feel, and the doors just scream sexy. It's a car that in 5 years, will still draw interest and remind me how special the car is to me. If you're more introverted or short on time, as long as you don't open the FWDs, it blends in enough that the most folks won't notice.
As a whole, the car has packed itself nicely. I'm amazed at how well all the revolutionary features come together to make this car feel like an amazing SUV/CUV. If you're having second thoughts on the car, don't. I'm pretty sure you'll love the car as much as we do.

- 90D, midnight silver, 6 seat, tan leather, sub-zero, AP, non premium, non audio upgrade

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_135956.jpg
    IMG_20160512_135956.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 181
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Sorry. Gotta ask about the spoiler. Does it lower when the car is shut down? It sounds like the transition to the 90D's getting the fixed spoiler has begun and can't tell from your photo if yours is the first we have a picture of or not.

Glad to hear the 90D is quick enough for you and your wife. Sounds like your daughter is enjoying the Tesla fame! :cool:;)

Reactions: alleycat
Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Sorry. Gotta ask about the spoiler. Does it lower when the car is shut down? It sounds like the transition to the 90D's getting the fixed spoiler has begun and can't tell from your photo if yours is the first we have a picture of or not.

Glad to hear the 90D is quick enough for you and your wife. Sounds like your daughter is enjoying the Tesla fame! :cool:;)

My spoiler does lower. Haven't checked if it's truly "active". BTW, I'd like to edit a few grammatical mistakes on my post. Anyway I can edit it? Thanks.

My spoiler does lower. Haven't checked if it's truly "active". BTW, I'd like to edit a few grammatical mistakes on my post. Anyway I can edit it? Thanks.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that means it's fully active as @ssq has reported in another thread, he saw one that was completely fixed in place without any way to lower.

You should have an "edit" button at the bottom of your post. Maybe there's a minimum post number before it's active though?

I second what you said about AP. I'm usually a moderately aggressive driver, not because I can't stand being outpaced, but because I don't much care for the mundane details of staying in the lane, paying attention, keeping a proper distance from the car in front of me, etc.

Yesterday I drove 100 miles to pick up my son at college and bring him and his GF home, so 200 miles RT. I took my time and chilled, I arrived maybe 20 minutes later than I would have in my ICE (a Range Rover, so not too shabby), but completely relaxed. Extra bonus: the Tesla was a sufficient draw to have him volunteer to drive back. We hit horrible traffic on 95, no big deal, just continued our conversation and let AP worry about it.

Thanks for the great report. Just warning you... I have nearly the identical configuration 90D Midnight Silver w/ Tan interior in Louisville CO. If your door doesn't open, be sure it's the right car. I'm vin 54xx and hoping it arrives next month. I'm even more excited about it after reading your post.
LOL! See you at the Costco! We need to have a Model X rally out here. We weren't even the first in the neighborhood with an X. One day about 2 months ago, I saw a sig Red in while dropping the kids off at school. I saw it again 2 days ago. Going to have to figure out who it is. We're in Table Mesa South - Bear Creek Elementary.

I wrote the post because I wanted to reassure other folks worried after confirming their orders. We were in that camp and it's turned out better than all expectations. Keep calm and EV on!

Reactions: WABarb and mlouie23