Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily Beast Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arnold Panz

Model Sig 304, VIN 542
Apr 13, 2009
Miami, Florida
John Avlon gives an extremely positive review of the Roadster (and Tesla) is an article on the Daily Beast about his attendance at the Future in Review conference in San Diego.

Safe Nukes, Aussie Broadband, and Other Visions From the Future

Test Drive a Tesla: The premium electric-car maker Tesla is thriving while our traditional automakers are dying. By aggressively investing in the high-end next-generation technology that the Big Three either ignored or actively subverted, Tesla is hiring (while others are firing) and has waiting lists (while Detroit can barely give its less-imaginative designs away). After test-driving a Tesla Roadster, it’s easy to see why. It’s not just a sports car; it’s a spaceship. The drive is almost silent, with a low-level Star Trek hum, but punch the accelerator and the torque pushes you back into your contoured seat, going zero to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. It’s got power, performance, and control—and with 240 miles to a full charge, it can more than meet the needs of an average American driver. This is a win-win innovation—the kind of invention that makes you think it can really change the world.

About the conference:

The Economist has called the annual Future in Review conference—known as FiRe—“the best technology conference in the world.” In its seventh year, 150 members of the tech elite and future enthusiasts—a near oxymoron in the current economy—met at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. As the old saying goes, “I’m interested in the future because I’m going to spend the rest of my life there.” So I joined them.

This year’s theme, with appropriately empowered defiance, was “Shaping the Rebound: Technology Driving Economics.” These are not folks who believe in the inevitability of trends that can overwhelm them—they believe in creating the trends themselves. The unofficial slogan of the gathering is “we help you change the world.” As physicist and author David Brin put it, “It’s capitalism in its best light.”

The founder of FiRe is Mark Anderson, a Perry Mason-looking dude from Washington State, who is also the CEO of the Strategic News Service, the first Internet subscription newsletter, which counts Bill Gates and Michael Dell as devotees. Anderson’s predictions have had a way of coming true over the years. But FiRe is not a guru gathering; it’s a collection of heavy hitters in sometimes narrow niches from around the globe. Mark just plays ringmaster to the circus.