Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily charging or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been charging my 2021 plaid to 90% then drive it for 3 days to work when Battey gets down to maybe 30-40%, third day I charge it back upto 90% and repeat. My wife has model 3LR, charge hers to 90%, she drives for 2 days gets it down to 40-50%, charge back upto 90% and repeat.
It is better to do what I am doing or charge both cars daily to 80% or 90%?
I have read Tesla recommends to plug in daily.

Everyone has their own thoughts on this. Because home charging isn't super quick I try to not let it get below 40% at the house, which doesn't require being plugged in every day.

In the winter I do find that I plug in more frequently so that I can start the climate control while it's plugged in and not impact range, and because range is reduced by cold weather.

Also depending on who you ask, 80% should be your daily setting. Which I think would require plugging in every day if you drive much at all.

Upvote 0
Everyone “has their own thoughts”, but there’s only one right answer. It’s better to charge every day. If you have convenient home charging, keep the car plugged in and the battery charged to your set point of something less than or equal to 90%. Simple as that.

More frequent shallow charges are better for lithium batteries than less frequent charges with larger discharge cycles. That’s why Tesla specifically tells you to keep the car plugged in in the owners manual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't agree. Tesla tells you to plug in every day because they don't want you to ever be wishing you car was fully charged. Tesla is trying to make the process the most straightforward and not likely to cause an inconvenience.
90% for instance. I don't think you will find a battery expert that thinks this is the right place for batteries to sit. It is almost definitely better at 80%. And the right answer is probably even lower than that. But it is far worse to go low so Tesla errs on the high side. Tesla also errs that high because people take that as their full range and then whine about it on social media.
There are few things in life where there is "only one right answer".
It maybe that the actual best storage percentage is temperature dependent but for the most part, a low temp and a low state of charge (but not below 40%) is best for storage. Tesla's statements do not change this fact.

I 100% agree that shallow charges are better for lithium batteries than deep discharges. But that doesn't mean charging to 90% every day is the right answer.

Upvote 0
I 100% agree that shallow charges are better for lithium batteries than deep discharges. But that doesn't mean charging to 90% every day is the right answer.
Nobody said it was. I mean, do it if you need to, or even if you want to. But that doesn't change the answer to the "should I charge every day" question, which is what was posed. The answer to that is yes, if you can do so conveniently. There's no good reason to run the battery down lower than necessary and lots of good reasons not to.

Upvote 0
You said "charged to your set point of something less than or equal to 90%".
Obviously you allowed for less than 90% but you included 90% as an option which is not best.

I don't charge every day because I don't drive every day. But the OP was driving a good amount so I have no disagreement on your advice.

The right answer is probably charging every day so that you never get below 50% (some leeway from the 40% that is probably the real issue). So that may mean charging to 70% every day that you plan on driving.

Of course, none of this is a really big deal anyway. Most battery failures seem to be random and is the real issue rather than the small amount of degradation that everyone gets. My degradation is pretty average and I have been less than 40% or over 90% for a very small amount of time and my supercharging is pretty minimal. My set point is between 60 and 70% depending on my driving expectation. And my battery may fail the day after its 8 year birthday.

In some instances, it seems like being plugged in increases vampire drain. There are some many iterations of hardware and software that it does vary. So that is one other issue.

Upvote 0
I don't agree. Tesla tells you to plug in every day because they don't want you to ever be wishing you car was fully charged. Tesla is trying to make the process the most straightforward and not likely to cause an inconvenience.
90% for instance. I don't think you will find a battery expert that thinks this is the right place for batteries to sit. It is almost definitely better at 80%. And the right answer is probably even lower than that. But it is far worse to go low so Tesla errs on the high side. Tesla also errs that high because people take that as their full range and then whine about it on social media.
There are few things in life where there is "only one right answer".
It maybe that the actual best storage percentage is temperature dependent but for the most part, a low temp and a low state of charge (but not below 40%) is best for storage. Tesla's statements do not change this fact.

Screenshot_20220125-115923_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0
But that doesn't mean charging to 90% every day is the right answer.
Nobody said it was.
Come ON! You've been on this forum enough years to see how frequently people say that. And most of the time, they are saying that it's an official recommendation from a Tesla employee. FFS, it's right here in this thread in comment #3!
Tesla service recommended charging to 90%.
@ucmndd There it is. I agree that it's not correct, but don't pretend no one says that.

Upvote 0
Come ON! You've been on this forum enough years to see how frequently people say that. And most of the time, they are saying that it's an official recommendation from a Tesla employee. FFS, it's right here in this thread in comment #3!

@ucmndd There it is. I agree that it's not correct, but don't pretend no one says that.
Ok, allow me to correct myself. *I* didn’t say it was.

FWIW (not much), you can put me firmly in the “90% is just fine” camp. Nothing magic happens at 89%, just like nothing magic happens at 91%.

Again, back to the subject of this thread: I’d be willing to bet a coke that cycling every day from 90 to 80% is a better long term battery health strategy than cycling 80 to 30% every 5 days.

Charge every day if you can. There’s no reason not to. The people emulating ICE fueling methods for no good reason aren’t doing themselves any favors.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Why do they drain the battery to below 90% by running the pumps if 90 is fine?
This most certainly doesn't happen on my car.

Plenty of nuance related to the 85kwh chargegate stuff and various reasons for that - much more than there's time/space to get into here - but that appeared to address a perceived/possible safety issue specific to the battery management boards in those physical packs, not a longevity-related best practice.

Upvote 0

Hey! Just repeating what I heard., do whatever floats your boat.

Upvote 0
Hey! Just repeating what I heard., do whatever floats your boat.
Oh, no, I wasn't blaming you for anything--sorry to give that impression. I fully understand you were told that. Tesla employees throughout their stores and service centers have been trained to tell everyone to use 90% all the time. It's just easiest to give them one answer to give to everyone. It's certainly not best for the long term health of the battery, but they don't want them to have to get into case-by-case discussions with everyone balancing how much range each person needs, with degradation levels, etc. etc. So they just tell them to say 90% and not get into it.

Upvote 0
Oh, no, I wasn't blaming you for anything--sorry to give that impression. I fully understand you were told that. Tesla employees throughout their stores and service centers have been trained to tell everyone to use 90% all the time. It's just easiest to give them one answer to give to everyone. It's certainly not best for the long term health of the battery, but they don't want them to have to get into case-by-case discussions with everyone balancing how much range each person needs, with degradation levels, etc. etc. So they just tell them to say 90% and not get into it.
Bro, I'm good. If there's a better way to get long term reliability I'm all for it. Seems like plugging every night is better than running it down. These days I don't believe much of what the service reps say.

Upvote 0