Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily Life with Version 7.0 Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ardart99

Blinded By The Light
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2015
United States
With all the post and video's of people pushing the limits of Autopilot ..... tonight as I took a quite ride up a busy blvd. to get some ice cream it struck me how comfortable and self aware I had become using the feature. Yes the first drive at 2am in the morning started with a double click of the stalk and my hands hovering around the steering wheel like a magician preparing for a magic trick. My foot completed the reaction as if by more magic it floated above the floor inches away from the pedal. The first little blip and I grabbed the wheel ... hit the brakes and checked to see if my pants were still clean! As the days went by the reaction was pretty much the same .... but just a little more at ease ... maybe ... :) But somewhere in this adventure it is becoming second nature ... I use it sometimes and sometimes not .... and when I do use it ..... it has become .... well relaxing .... I really think I'm driving better ... not less alert in autopilot mode but more alert. Paying a new type of preferential attention to things happening around me .. glancing at the screen and the blue lines ... checking out what other cars are doing ... making sure the Tesla is acquiring the upcoming cars or cars changing lanes ... expecting the little shift as I cross a intersection where the line disappear and making sure my baby is paying attention ... ready to jump in if necessary .. but willing to let it do it's thing .... Now not only do I enjoy it's quiet, powerful elegance .... it's swift response to what I need it to do, it's head turning looks .... it's making me a better driver ..... what are the rest of you feeling as time goes by ... ???

Yes, well put. I feel as though my car has her learner's permit and while I try to trust and let her do her thing, I am ever more vigilant at watching for potential hazards and situations she may not understand yet. Very similar to teaching my daughters how to drive. At least she doesn't talk back and I know where she is at all times!

I agree with this. The first thing I noticed is that I was able to use the attention I'd usually devote to not staying within the lane to better observe my surroundings. I think if this is the habit most people settle into when using AS then we've got a definite safety benefit with this feature...