Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily reset/shutdown of my Powerwall+ and/or Inverter after coolant top-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reference, the attached picture string 2 is 8x340w panel facing east, 3 and 4 are 11x340w facing West. Picture is taken near solar noon, you can see the voltage difference (8x31v=247ish, 11x31v=341ish), but the amp is nearly the same since both east and west roof are receiving nearly the same amount of sunlight at solar noon.

I suspect that one of your string/mppt is dropping out overnight for some reason, and comes back when you reboot the inverter around the afternoon. When one of the 2 parallel string mppt drop out, basically it max out the other mppt so you end up losing the excess from the max out.

I actually have similar issue but not exactly the same issue, and Tesla is sending someone out next week.

If you can upload those screenshots requested, we can help determine if you have the same issue I have.

Attachments

• 20210909_124259.jpg
    20210909_124259.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Helpful
Reactions: kairojya
Noticed very poor production yesterday and today.

Logged into the inverter via installer mode and saw the below. Not good. Reboot everything but still no luck. Nothing has changed… besides maybe the firmware version.

Attachments

• DBF80B96-1397-438D-BE9A-7F8429A9F4FE.jpeg
    DBF80B96-1397-438D-BE9A-7F8429A9F4FE.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 6A90A236-3318-4EC8-9B83-888B933A91CE.jpeg
    6A90A236-3318-4EC8-9B83-888B933A91CE.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 2D4C7E8F-611D-4E67-A2DE-10386BD341E8.jpeg
    2D4C7E8F-611D-4E67-A2DE-10386BD341E8.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 86
Noticed very poor production yesterday and today.

Logged into the inverter via installer mode and saw the below. Not good. Reboot everything but still no luck. Nothing has changed… besides maybe the firmware version.
You can run the wizard to check the ct setup. Just cancel after you get the CT screen and take a screen shot if you don't want to change anything.

There's an option to "flip" the ct

If anyone is experiencing the daily inverter reboot in the mornings (ours happens around 7:30am every morning for 10-15 minutes) that occurs during solar production times, that should be fixed in the new firmware update. It should be moved closer to 6:30am.

Also if you're having issues with Powerwalls just dropping off (mine shows no powerwalls for around an hour randomly) and then coming back, it's a CAN bus issue that Tesla is aware of and working to fix.

New firmware (21.35) should start rolling out late this week or early next week.

If anyone is experiencing the daily inverter reboot in the mornings (ours happens around 7:30am every morning for 10-15 minutes) that occurs during solar production times, that should be fixed in the new firmware update. It should be moved closer to 6:30am.

Also if you're having issues with Powerwalls just dropping off (mine shows no powerwalls for around an hour randomly) and then coming back, it's a CAN bus issue that Tesla is aware of and working to fix.

New firmware (21.35) should start rolling out late this week or early next week.
Does it still shift by 10-15 mins daily though? 21.31.1 still did that

You can run the wizard to check the ct setup. Just cancel after you get the CT screen and take a screen shot if you don't want to change anything.

There's an option to "flip" the ct
Yes looks like that fixed it. Somehow the remote monitor (neurio) flipped both CT1 and CT2 back to none. I changed them both to solar (took a guess) and now all seems to be back to normal. Perhaps some sort of firmware update caused the settings to be loss. Had 2 full days of 0 production - which I initially missed because I still had some solar flowing from old existing sunpower system. Washed all of the panels yesterday as well, hoping for a monster day!

Yes looks like that fixed it. Somehow the remote monitor (neurio) flipped both CT1 and CT2 back to none. I changed them both to solar (took a guess) and now all seems to be back to normal. Perhaps some sort of firmware update caused the settings to be loss. Had 2 full days of 0 production - which I initially missed because I still had some solar flowing from old existing sunpower system. Washed all of the panels yesterday as well, hoping for a monster day!
If ct1 and ct2 are 2 different inverters rather than the split phases of the same inverter. They should be "solar x2" rather than just solar

Really need to see where the neurino are, usually 2 cts Unless you have 2 inverters are more likely for remote house load if you have none backup load between the gateway and electric meter

For reference, the attached picture string 2 is 8x340w panel facing east, 3 and 4 are 11x340w facing West. Picture is taken near solar noon, you can see the voltage difference (8x31v=247ish, 11x31v=341ish), but the amp is nearly the same since both east and west roof are receiving nearly the same amount of sunlight at solar noon.

I suspect that one of your string/mppt is dropping out overnight for some reason, and comes back when you reboot the inverter around the afternoon. When one of the 2 parallel string mppt drop out, basically it max out the other mppt so you end up losing the excess from the max out.

I actually have similar issue but not exactly the same issue, and Tesla is sending someone out next week.

If you can upload those screenshots requested, we can help determine if you have the same issue I have.
Everyone else is trying to fix inverter daily reboot issue, but I have to do manually daily reboot in order to get better power output. Odd?

I spent some time to investigate my system. See attached pictures.

I have 24 panels of 340w but do not know how they are wired. There are two strings, One is high voltage and current, and the other are low in both. In pic1, one string shows 341v open circuit voltage (ocv?), and the other 227v. It's difficult to assign number of panels to the two strings based on those voltages. I am not sure if ocv is 31v for the 340w panels. Pic 2 shows voltage/amp when output is low in the morning. Pic 3 shows those numbers when output is high at noon. In both pictures, output amp seems to be the sum of amp from both strings.

Inverter (7.6kw) panel shows two inputs from solar panels. My system has solar power without PW, and software version is 20.51.2, unlike others with 21.xx.x.

Again, my question is why daily reboot would be required to increase power output for my system.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 83
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 69
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 83
  • Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 73
Everyone else is trying to fix inverter daily reboot issue, but I have to do manually daily reboot in order to get better power output. Odd?

I spent some time to investigate my system. See attached pictures.

I have 24 panels of 340w but do not know how they are wired. There are two strings, One is high voltage and current, and the other are low in both. In pic1, one string shows 341v open circuit voltage (ocv?), and the other 227v. It's difficult to assign number of panels to the two strings based on those voltages. I am not sure if ocv is 31v for the 340w panels. Pic 2 shows voltage/amp when output is low in the morning. Pic 3 shows those numbers when output is high at noon. In both pictures, output amp seems to be the sum of amp from both strings.

Inverter (7.6kw) panel shows two inputs from solar panels. My system has solar power without PW, and software version is 20.51.2, unlike others with 21.xx.x.

Again, my question is why daily reboot would be required to increase power output for my system.

Educated guess. You said 24 panels with 6 on top level

Based on your ocv and compared to my own

Your string 2 is the 6x panels on top
Your string 1 is the 9x2 panels on lower.

Problem is your string 1. Looks like they parallel it on the roof but didn't parallel it in the inverter.

The Tesla inverter Max out at 13a per mppt you are at 12.7 which is pushing the max. You are losing output because are clipping mppt1

Why is the amp so high? Because the string got parallel on the roof. If you parallel you increase the flow (amp), in a series you increase the voltage. Since your voltage say you have 9 panels in series. But you have 18 panels, ergo you have 2x string of 9 panels parallel in 1 wire. This is ok... But they should have parallel it in the inverter too.

I'm not sure why a reboot would get you more output though....

Disclaimer - not responsible for below, do at your own risk.

Quick fix if you don't want to call and convince Tesla to send a tech out.

Need
a punch/push tool for the terminal block
2x jumper cable (did they leave the one that came right the inverter? About 2-3 inch's u-shape. If not you need a 8-10awg wire

do for both black and red (simplest least steps)
1) shut off inverter preferably do it after dark when no more solar generation so the panels are in a low energy state (safer, but make sure you have enough light to work)
2) insert punch tool to the slot above the wire, that will release the clamp, move string 1 from top row to string 4 at the bottom row
3) jumper 3 and 4 at the top row

That should fix your problem. I will try to add some pictures

2 picture show what to do
1 picture show what the jumper looks like

Attachments

• 20210911_185915.jpg
    20210911_185915.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20210911-191044_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-191044_Chrome.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Educated guess. You said 24 panels with 6 on top level

Based on your ocv and compared to my own

Your string 2 is the 6x panels on top
Your string 1 is the 9x2 panels on lower.

Problem is your string 1. Looks like they parallel it on the roof but didn't parallel it in the inverter.

The Tesla inverter Max out at 13a per mppt you are at 12.7 which is pushing the max. You are losing output because are clipping mppt1

Why is the amp so high? Because the string got parallel on the roof. If you parallel you increase the flow (amp), in a series you increase the voltage. Since your voltage say you have 9 panels in series. But you have 18 panels, ergo you have 2x string of 9 panels parallel in 1 wire. This is ok... But they should have parallel it in the inverter too.

I'm not sure why a reboot would get you more output though....

Disclaimer - not responsible for below, do at your own risk.

Quick fix if you don't want to call and convince Tesla to send a tech out.

Need
a punch/push tool for the terminal block
2x jumper cable (did they leave the one that came right the inverter? About 2-3 inch's u-shape. If not you need a 8-10awg wire

do for both black and red (simplest least steps)
1) shut off inverter preferably do it after dark when no more solar generation so the panels are in a low energy state (safer, but make sure you have enough light to work)
2) insert punch tool to the slot above the wire, that will release the clamp, move string 1 to string 3
3) jumper 3 and 4

That should fix your problem. I will try to add some pictures

1 picture show what to do
2 picture show what the jumper looks like
Make sense. Thank you! I was wondering why the two strings wired into the same mppt by the installer. Also, do you think that power output from parallel 2x9 panels is limited by mppt? 2x9x340w x 85% = 5.2kw, but each mppt can handle 3.8kw only

Last edited:
Make sense. Thank you! I was wondering why the two strings wired into the same mppt by the installer.
I updated the steps above to correct an error and make the picture clearer where the wire goes

Here is what it should look like, except we are jumping 3 and 4 and in this pic they jump 1 and 2

(My steps above avoid the need to move string 2 so less things to move around)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-193014_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210911-193014_Chrome.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 58
I updated the steps above to correct an error and make the picture clearer where the wire goes

Here is what it should look like, except we are jumping 3 and 4 and in this pic they jump 1 and 2

(My steps above avoid the need to move string 2 so less things to move around)
Reading your posts helps me a lot.
If wires connected according to your suggestion, web portal should show string 1 empty, string 2 single, string 3 and 4 are parallel with the same vol/amp.
If jumper 1 and 2, and wires connected to 2 (bottom row) and 3 (top row), web portal will show string 1 and 2 parallel with the same numbers, string 3 single and string 4 empty.
Am I correct?

Last edited:
Reading your posts helps me a lot.
If wires connected according to your suggestion, web portal should show string 1 empty, string 2 single, string 3 and 4 are parallel with the same vol/amp.
If jumper 1 and 2, and wires connected to 2 (bottom row) and 3 (top row), web portal will show string 1 and 2 parallel with the same numbers, string 3 single and string 4 empty.
Am I correct?
Basically, but the parallel string would have about slightly more than half of your current amp I'm guessing 7-9amp each at peak. Also the parallel string would have very similar numbers but not exactly the same. Usually I think the jumpered one (plugged into 4 and jumpered with 3, 3 being the jumpered one) would have slightly lower reading based on what I have seen of other posting with those parallel configuration

Basically, but the parallel string would have about slightly more than half of your current amp I'm guessing 7-9amp each at peak. Also the parallel string would have very similar numbers but not exactly the same. Usually I think the jumpered one (plugged into 4 and jumpered with 3, 3 being the jumpered one) would have slightly lower reading based on what I have seen of other posting with those parallel configuration
After testing many times in different wiring configurations, I found out how to connect my system for better output. But Tesla system is quite complex and it's not easy to figure out.

I first wired according to Bitslizer's suggestion during night time without sunlight at all. It worked the next morning and output increased to high level (5kw, it used to be 4.3kw without rebooting) without rebooting the system. Then I wanted to see data from web portal, so power cycled the system. Bad move! After rebooting, the system produced very low power, oscillating between 0.4 and 2 kw. Rebooting system and waiting for longer time did not make any difference. System stayed low power.

I did more tests and will post immediate after this one. Conclusion is that my system cannot parallel the high power string.

Before stating what have been done, I want be sure safety first while working during day time with plenty of sunlight. I switched off the disconnect to grid so that system power is off. I carefully measured voltages and currents from solar panel wires. To my surprise, all wire voltages are zero! I still take precautions when working on the system. Measure voltage each time when power off the system, and avoid touching bare wire with fingers.

As stated in the previous posts, my system has 24 panels, and two wire pairs down, 1x6 panels (W1) and 2x9 panels (W2). We assumed W2 was paralleled based on voltage/amp data. Original wiring configuration was W2 in string 1 and W1 in string 2. I was trying Bitslizer's suggestion: move W2 to string 4 (bottom row) and jumper 3 and 4. This wiring configuration failed to produce good power output. So paralleling W2 does not work.

Then I moved back to original wiring configuration and power output immediate came back to 5.3kw. Web portal shows 300V/13.0A in string 1 and 200V/6.7A in string 2.

Then I tested paralleling W1 for the system. W2 is connected to string 1, W1 to string 4, and 3/4 jumpered. This configuration worked immediately, and producing slightly higher power 5.5kw. Web portal showed 300V/13.0A in string 1, string 2 disconnected, 177V/4.5A in string 3 and 177/4.4A in string 4. I left this configuration overnight and it produced highest power output the next day without rebooting during the day.

I still have concern that W2 was clipped due to 13.0A limitation. So I tried paralleling both W1 and W2. In this case, W1 connected to string 4 and W2 to 2 in bottom row. Both 1/2 and 3/4 (top row) are jumpered. This was done during last night and power production started going up this morning. kw was increasing gradually until reaching to 5.4kw. Then it dropped to 0.4kw without any human intervention. Output started oscillating between 0.4 and 2kw again. To fix this problem, I powered off the system, removed 1/2 jumper, and moved W2 from string 4 (bottom row) to 1 (top row). Everything is working well after removing parallel W2. With this wire configuration, my system can keep good power production without rebooting. I'll use it for future until better configuration is found. However, I do think W2 with 300V/13.0A is limiting my system performance.

Why does paralleling strings fail to work when solar panel power output is high? I must have missed something with Tesla inverters. Any suggestions for investigation?

Last edited:
Reactions: kairojya
Before stating what have been done, I want be sure safety first while working during day time with plenty of sunlight. I switched off the disconnect to grid so that system power is off. I carefully measured voltages and currents from solar panel wires. To my surprise, all wire voltages are zero! I still take precautions when working on the system. Measure voltage each time when power off the system, and avoid touching bare wire with fingers.

As stated in the previous posts, my system has 24 panels, and two wire pairs down, 1x6 panels (W1) and 2x9 panels (W2). We assumed W2 was paralleled based on voltage/amp data. Original wiring configuration was W2 in string 1 and W1 in string 2. I was trying Bitslizer's suggestion: move W2 to string 4 (bottom row) and jumper 3 and 4. This wiring configuration failed to produce good power output. So paralleling W2 does not work.

Then I moved back to original wiring configuration and power output immediate came back to 5.3kw. Web portal shows 300V/13.0A in string 1 and 200V/6.7A in string 2.

Then I tested paralleling W1 for the system. W2 is connected to string 1, W1 to string 4, and 3/4 jumpered. This configuration worked immediately, and producing slightly higher power 5.5kw. Web portal showed 300V/13.0A in string 1, string 2 disconnected, 177V/4.5A in string 3 and 177/4.4A in string 4. I left this configuration overnight and it produced highest power output the next day without rebooting during the day.

I still have concern that W2 was clipped due to 13.0A limitation. So I tried paralleling both W1 and W2. In this case, W1 connected to string 4 and W2 to 2 in bottom row. Both 1/2 and 3/4 (top row) are jumpered. This was done during last night and power production started going up this morning. kw was increasing gradually until reaching to 5.4kw. Then it dropped to 0.4kw without any human intervention. Output started oscillating between 0.4 and 2kw again. To fix this problem, I powered off the system, removed 1/2 jumper, and moved W2 from string 4 (bottom row) to 1 (top row). Everything is working well after removing parallel W2. With this wire configuration, my system can keep good power production without rebooting. I'll use it for future until better configuration is found. However, I do think W2 with 300V/13.0A is limiting my system performance.

Why does paralleling strings fail to work when solar panel power output is high? I must have missed something with Tesla inverters. Any suggestions for investigation?
Add two pictures.
Pic21: current working configuration - W1 in string 1, W2 in string 4 with 3/4 jumpered. Working great yesterday without reset. Best performance so far, but possibly limited by W1 due to 13A reached.
Pic22: Both W1 and W2 parallel - W1 in string 2 with 1/2 jumpered, W2 in string 4 with 3/4 jumpered. Working well until arrival of high power output at noon. power output interrupted by the system itself. Then I switched to configuration as Pic21 for the remaining time of the day. Based on the profile prior to noon interruption, this configuration would reach higher power output if system had not crashed.

Attachments

• pic21.jpg
    pic21.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 64
  • pic22.jpg
    pic22.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 65
Do you hear any liquid/gurgling noise from the inverter? Does it get very hot? Is the fan running? Is it outside in the sun?

Some Tesla inverter seem to be underfilled coolant and overheat when generating too much. Have you try updating firmware in installer mode?

Seem once you get above 5.6kw your inverter crap out....

Maybe the reboot give it enough of a breather to cool down and catch up?

Don't think it will make a difference try plugging w2i nto upper 2 and jumper upper 1 to lower 2 instead.

Something funky is happening when you jumper w1 and it read 177v/4.5+4.4 = 8.9a that is what I would expect the string to output. When it's 200v/6.7a the voltage is too high and the amp too low so it appears to be clipping/curtailing production even for this string.

Same thing with w2, 300v suggest it's clipping, when it clip the voltage rise (total clip you get up to the Voc voltage)

Maybe when the inverter clip, it clip the entire inverter instead of just an individual mppt? Just wild ass guessing though.

Rough extrapolation based on your data suggest that you should be peaking around 6.7~6.8kw

31.4v x 9 panels series = 282.6v x 9 amp = 2543w
X2 = 5086
31.4 x 6 = 188 x 9 = 1695w
5086+1685 = 6.78kw

Last edited:
Do you hear any liquid/gurgling noise from the inverter? Does it get very hot? Is the fan running? Is it outside in the sun?

Some Tesla inverter seem to be underfilled coolant and overheat when generating too much. Have you try updating firmware in installer mode?

Seem once you get above 5.6kw your inverter crap out....

Maybe the reboot give it enough of a breather to cool down and catch up?

Don't think it will make a difference try plugging w2i nto upper 2 and jumper upper 1 to lower 2 instead.

Something funky is happening when you jumper w1 and it read 177v/4.5+4.4 = 8.9a that is what I would expect the string to output. When it's 200v/6.7a the voltage is too high and the amp too low so it appears to be clipping/curtailing production even for this string.

Same thing with w2, 300v suggest it's clipping, when it clip the voltage rise (total clip you get up to the Voc voltage)

Maybe when the inverter clip, it clip the entire inverter instead of just an individual mppt? Just wild ass guessing though.

Rough extrapolation based on your data suggest that you should be peaking around 6.7~6.8kw

31.4v x 9 panels series = 282.6v x 9 amp = 2543w
X2 = 5086
31.4 x 6 = 188 x 9 = 1695w
5086+1685 = 6.78kw
Thank you for your analysis.
I did check firmware update in Installer mode and it says no update available. My software version is 20.51.2 while all others have 21.xx.x .
I did hear liquid noise in my inverter occasionally. However, I don't think the inverter is over-heating. It is outdoor on a shading wall without sun light. Fan was not running anytime (defective? I also heard the inverter was singing consistently when power output was high.
I agree that even w1 got clipping, since power output is consistently slightly higher in parallel mode.
I hope to get peak power close to ~6.5kw if clipping issue is resolved. Not sure if Tesla can/will help.

Last edited:
Thank you for your analysis.
I did check firmware update in Installer mode and it says no update available. My software version is 20.51.2 while all others have 21.xx.x .
I did hear liquid noise in my inverter occasionally. However, I don't think the inverter is over-heating. It is outdoor on a shading wall without sun light. Fan was not running anytime (defective? I also heard the inverter was singing consistently when power output was high.
I agree that even w1 got clipping, since power output is consistently slightly higher in parallel mode.
I hope to get peak power close to ~6.5kw if clipping issue is resolved. Not sure if Tesla can/will help.
Let me check my inverter tomorrow, IIRC mine the fan is running even though it's in the cool basement around 68f

What do you mean singing....?

The 21.x.x are not the standalone inverter. Those are the pw+ inverter with gateway function

My 3.8kw standalone had been working fine so I had not reboot it to get in installer mode lately to see what firmware it is running but IIRC it was 20.5x.z