Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This... is nonsense. The market maker doesn't want to get caught with a huge unhedged position in options. Ideally the market maker would have retail sellers for all the puts they sell and be left with a zero balance at the end of the day. If they don't, they raise the price to account for the risk of being left "holding the bag". If they're already holding a lot of open positions, they raise the price further to account for the risk of being left "holidng the bag".

That's not how it works.
MM sells 5 puts, and because of it, MM shorts 200 actions of TSLA (or whatever appropriate number is based on vega)
MM is balanced that same minute, if he wants to, but more likely it's the end of the day.

When buyer of the puts sells them back to MM, MM buys back stock, appropriate to vega in effect. All along, they balance overall position, not per transaction... They need to balance for change of value of vega, as well as theta
vega, theta, explained here: Greeks (finance) - Wikipedia

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
That's not how it works.
MM sells 5 puts, and because of it, MM shorts 200 actions of TSLA (or whatever appropriate number is based on vega)
MM is balanced that same minute,
No he isn't.

If this is ACTUALLY how market makers work these days -- and hey, maybe you know better than I do -- they're courting bankruptcy on a regular basis. I find this very, *very* unlikely.

Short 5 puts is an exposure to full losses from price drop on 500 shares with no exposure to gains. Short 200 shares is an exposure to full losses from price rise on 200 shares. This isn't remotely balanced -- it loses big if the stock makes a huge move in *either direction*. It's an enormous bet on stability.

The market maker would have to have anti-volatility hedges in place to be remotely safe. Anti-volatility hedging is done by, wait for it, buying and selling options. So the market makers would end up putting pressure on the prices of options further away from the money.

Frankly, you're full of *sugar*. Any market maker who is balancing for volatility or time decay *is putting pressure on the option prices*. They have a very clear sense of "expensive" and "cheap" related to the vega and theta.

Tesla options are trading at practically record-low IV. Despite rather substantial recent historical volatility. That does *not* indicate a situation where there are heavy retail put buys and market makers doing all the retail put sales. The attempt of the market maker to balance their position out would show up *somewhere*.

I've been trading options for a while now. I watch this. When large-volume bids come in for a particular strike, the market makers' ask prices start retreating, higher and higher. When large-volume asks come in, the bid prices start retreating, lower and lower. (This isn't so obvious in strikes with high OI and low volume, but look at a strike with low OI and high volume and you'll see it *very* clearly.)

Which is *as you'd expect*. They're getting paid for the risk of getting caught with an unbalanced position. The larger the bids the more risk of having an unbalanced position. They actually want the number of retail sales and retail purchases to match out over time, because their business model is to make money on the spread. They may make intraday hedges with short-selling and whatnot, but they can't end up in a large net options position over time.

When they expect low volume -- making it harder for them to balance their positions -- they'll widen the spread, as they did (quite massively) on TSLA1 options.

If there were some sort of huge unbalanced retail demand to buy put options, we'd see the prices of put options rising (faster than the intrinsic value), and we aren't seeing that right now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zdriver
Cheap puts actually fits very well with my theory. Price elasticity would make retail TSLA detractors buy puts in bulk, seeing an opportunity.
Seriously, do you read what you write before you publish it? How can there be people attempting to buy puts in bulk *and* cheap puts? Supply and demand, man. Someone has to be trying to SELL puts in bulk to make the puts cheap, and it's not an MM, because the MMs want to be balanced.

A more plausible hypothesis would be that article hitting Google Finance caused lots of put sales:

Commit To Purchase Tesla Motors At $60, Earn 6.3% Using Options

But I don't think that's true because puts have stayed cheap for a while.

Frankly, you're full of *sugar*.

I'd expect this on stocktwits, but not here.

For other readers, I need to point out that I disagree with your conclusions, though you have many correct statements in your post.

I'm not going to go through detailed response, it's not worth my time, and I doubt it's worth your time either. I'll just point out one wrong assumption, there is NO way retail buy and retail sell of options is even remotely balanced - MMs are net sellers. Following logical consequences from that fact, and need for MM to balance positions, will land you in different model than one you described. Definition of 'vega' is another point that explains your concerns 500 vs 200

tslajan11.JPG

The day began with a big reduction in shares available to short at Fidelity, but in retrospect it looks as if the drawdown might have been Fidelity reducing available shares, rather than shorts drawing down shares to sell. We need to study these numbers we're getting from Fidelity to better understand how numbers are arrived at. The day's deepest dip was barely $3 less than starting price, but because the opening bell's trading was so light, and because the closing bell's trading was so light, the volume displays take on an exaggerated large look, as does the trading numbers, due to the restricted range in which the stock traded today.

The good news is that even though we saw selling pressure on TSLA in the morning, the stock recovered by afternoon and even visited green territory for a short period in the final hour of trading before closing a smidgen lower than yesterday. With the broader markets up today, TSLA is going to have to resume the climb fairly soon or this leg of the uptrend will fall prey to short-term profit-taking. The year 2017 looks great, though, and when the right news comes out, a new uptrend will hatch. In the meantime, let's see if this one has any more kick left in it.

Conditions:
* Dow up 99 (0.50%)
* NASDAQ up 12 (0.21%)
* TSLA 229.73, down 0.14 (0.06%)
* TSLA volume 3.7M shares
* Oil 52.37, up 1.55 (3.05%)
* Full day's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate:26,800) covering and 2.0%
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts: 58%

Last edited:
I'd expect this on stocktwits, but not here.

For other readers, I need to point out that I disagree with your conclusions, though you have many correct statements in your post.

I'm not going to go through detailed response, it's not worth my time, and I doubt it's worth your time either. I'll just point out one wrong assumption, there is NO way retail buy and retail sell of options is even remotely balanced - MMs are net sellers.
They're paid for that mainly by the value of theta decay. As a result, a *spike* in the demand for puts *still* causes a spike in the bids and ask prices which market makers ask for puts -- otherwise they end up unbalanced, the theta decay not compensating for the tail risk exposure. ("More unbalanced than they wanted to be", if you prefer.)

Following logical consequences from that fact, and need for MM to balance positions, will land you in different model than one you described. Definition of 'vega' is another point that explains your concerns 500 vs 200

Uh, no, it doesn't, not even slightly. Your handwaving doesn't make it true. Seriously, I'm capable of constructing a hedge against almost anything, and proper hedging is a lot more complicated than that. If TSLA drops to $50 and the market maker is a net seller of $250 put strikes, the market maker takes a loss of $200/share on those strikes (less whatever they originally got). If the market maker has "hedged" by short-selling only 200 shares, the market maker still takes a loss of 3/5 of that amount, which, if he sold *enough* options, is going to be large enough to get him in trouble with his boss for not being neutral.

I think I may have found the source of your confusion. You're just thinking of *small* options trades. I'm talking about *big* options trades, because that was the topic of your original theory. After a certain volume, unlike an ordinary investor, the market marker has no guarantee of *ever* being able to get out of the trade and ends up fully exposed to the extreme cases.

Your initial theory was that the increase in short interest (without an increase in interest rates charged), which is measured in hundreds of thousands of shares per day, was largely due to market makers. Your theory was that they were short-selling to hedge against puts they've sold. It is true that market-makers are allowed to short-sell and given longer to find actual shares to borrow than normal investors, so the price to borrow shares wouldn't have gone up immediately (not until they're obliged to rehypothecate in, if I remember, weeks later).

However, this is not a tenable theory. Hundreds of thousands of shares per day corresponds to thousands of options contracts per day. If the market maker is only doing partial hedges (like short-selling 200 shares against 500 put options sold) it would correspond to even more options contracts.
(1) We are not typically seeing that kind of daily options volume, or that kind of daily increase in Open Interest
(2) If we were seeing that kind of retail options put purchases, and they were not balanced by retail options sales, the market makers can and would be raising the prices charged for the puts -- with higher demand, no added retail supply to push down prices, they'll supply more *at a higher price*. And they're simply not doing that right now.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that we'll hear about several TSLA options market makers losing their shirts a few weeks from now, which would lend credence to your theory. I do remember stories of market makers busting due to ill-thought-out poorly hedged trades. Perhaps I am being unfair to the market makers by assuming that they are not putting themselves in an idiotically dangerous position with no compensation.

Bluntly, the increase in short interest (without an increase in interest rates charged) is due to *real* shorts (not market makers). The reason the interest rate isn't rising is that more shares are available to the brokers without paying interest. This is probably due to more bulls borrowing on margin than before. That's the most parsimonious explanation.

Your initial theory was that the increase in short interest (without an increase in interest rates charged), which is measured in hundreds of thousands of shares per day, was largely due to market makers. Your theory was that they were short-selling to hedge against puts they've sold. It is true that market-makers are allowed to short-sell and given longer to find actual shares to borrow than normal investors, so the price to borrow shares wouldn't have gone up immediately (not until they're obliged to rehypothecate in, if I remember, weeks later).

Below is what I was trying to answer, and I'm truly done here, no value for anyone continuing discussion; you've read bunch of my stuff incorrectly, or shell I say: 'I didn't explain myself correctly'; at no point was I talking about option sweepers, but retail investors that by definition cannot produce sweepers

Papafox:
One question right now is why are shares to short so difficult to find and if they're so scarce, why did the interest rate just drop? We haven't seen enough covering to deplete the supply and one explanation to the availability question might be that some longs are starting to retrieve their shares from shorts, which of course puts pressure on the shorts. Further, the shorts showing more covering than shorting this morning indicates that losses by shorts last week are taking a toll.

My answer:
MMs may be selling so many puts nowadays that they need to reserve copious amounts of stock available for shorting, even if they don't use it all.

Below is what I was trying to answer, and I'm truly done here, no value for anyone continuing discussion; you've read bunch of my stuff incorrectly, or shell I say: 'I didn't explain myself correctly'; at no point was I talking about option sweepers, but retail investors that by definition cannot produce sweepers

I'm sorry, and I apologize for not understanding you. You were trying to say something totally different, and apparently I still don't know what you were talking about. I was continuing a different conversation with Papafox and I thought you were answering that question, but I guess I was wrong...

Papafox:
One question right now is why are shares to short so difficult to find and if they're so scarce, why did the interest rate just drop? We haven't seen enough covering to deplete the supply and one explanation to the availability question might be that some longs are starting to retrieve their shares from shorts, which of course puts pressure on the shorts. Further, the shorts showing more covering than shorting this morning indicates that losses by shorts last week are taking a toll.
My answer:
MMs may be selling so many puts nowadays that they need to reserve copious amounts of stock available for shorting, even if they don't use it all.

The MMs' reservation of shares, reducing supply of shares to borrow, would still drive the borrowing interest rate up.

We're still left with the puzzle of why the short interest seems to be increasing while the interest rate to borrow shares remains rock-bottom. (Whereas in previous periods of very high short interest, the interest rate to borrow shares went sky-high.) This was my original question, though Papafox seems to have asked a slightly different question. (I think his mistake was assuming that shares to borrow are in fact difficult to find.) MMs are simply not an explanation for that. People buying TSLA on margin are the explanation.

Reactions: ZenMan
We're still left with the puzzle of why the short interest seems to be increasing while the interest rate to borrow shares remains rock-bottom. (Whereas in previous periods of very high short interest, the interest rate to borrow shares went sky-high.)

Maybe an Occam's Razor approach, but what's the possibility that large holders of TSLA, like Fidelity, are just trying to encourage more shorts to hold out for as long as possible? If they suspect a squeeze is possible this year, it would probably be in their best interest to encourage the total short interest be as high as possible right up to that point, as any gains from a squeeze would massively offset foregone interest income...

tslajan12.JPG

Hmm..., third day in a row of morning dip followed by recovery.Yesterday, we saw very little trading during the first minute. Today we saw 52,000 shares trade on opening. We saw a similarly large trade at 1:49 today with nearly 52,000 shares. Both were clearly buying efforts because the stock went up afterwards. Someone big is still accumulating, looks like. All of this was done on a down market.

Conditions:
* Dow down 63 (0.32%)
* NASDAQ down 16 (0.29%)
* TSLA 229.59, down 0.14 (0.06%)
* TSLA volume 3.8M shares
* Oil 53.09, up 0.08 (0.15%)
* Morning's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate:41,000 shares drawdown, 2.0%
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts: still unavailable

tslajan13.JPG

This week's "crystal balls" award goes to ggr, who predicted in the TSLA market action thread last night that "TSLA will be yuge Friday," and so it was. Honorable mention goes to TrendTrader007 who has been the most consistently bullish member on the forums for the past 6 months regarding TSLA's likelihood of having a yuge 2017. Nice call by both of you.

Today's rally placed TSLA back into the uptrend channel and also exceeds what was expected to be stiff resistance in the 236ish price range. Do we go to 250 from here or do worries about the presidential inaugural pull the broader markets down and TSLA with it? Truthfully, nobody knows for sure, but your long-term bets should be safe and I would hate to have been on the side-lines during the past few weeks.

This week's progress: $237.75 vs. $229.01 close last Friday = $8.,74 climb for week
Recent progress: $237.75 vs. $181.47 close on Dec. 3 = $56.28 climb in five and a half weeks

Conditions:
* Dow down 5 (0.03%)
* NASDAQ up 27 (0.49%)
* TSLA 237.75, up 8.16 (3.55%)
* TSLA volume 6.1M shares
* Oil 52.52, down 0.49 (0.92%)
* Day's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate: (374,000) covering, 2.00% interest rate
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts:Not available

View attachment 210358
This week's "crystal balls" award goes to ggr, who predicted in the TSLA market action thread last night that "TSLA will be yuge Friday," and so it was. Honorable mention goes to TrendTrader007 who has been the most consistently bullish member on the forums for the past 6 months regarding TSLA's likelihood of having a yuge 2017. Nice call by both of you.

Today's rally placed TSLA back into the uptrend channel and also exceeds what was expected to be stiff resistance in the 236ish price range. Do we go to 250 from here or do worries about the presidential inaugural pull the broader markets down and TSLA with it? Truthfully, nobody knows for sure, but your long-term bets should be safe and I would hate to have been on the side-lines during the past few weeks.

This week's progress: $237.75 vs. $229.01 close last Friday = $8.,74 climb for week
Recent progress: $237.75 vs. $181.47 close on Dec. 3 = $56.28 climb in five and a half weeks

Conditions:
* Dow down 5 (0.03%)
* NASDAQ up 27 (0.49%)
* TSLA 237.75, up 8.16 (3.55%)
* TSLA volume 6.1M shares
* Oil 52.52, down 0.49 (0.92%)
* Day's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate: (374,000) covering, 2.00% interest rate
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts:Not available
Thanks Papafox! I appreciate it
I stay extremely bullish on TSLA with long term quarterly charts indicating a multi year uptrend just beginning
The only safe bet in my opinion is to stay super long for next several quarters
Of course there will be sharp pullbacks but with fundamentals and technicals aligned near perfectly I truly believe that TSLA will be one of the hottest stocks of the next decade
I am loaded up on Tsla with literally tons of common as well as numerous long term calls
Let the games begin

tslajan17.JPG

This week we continue to be in the question mark zone. Do the stairstep climbs continue or do macro troubles temporarily end the rally? I wish I had a strong sense, but I don't, and I continue to advocate a portfolio where you're ok if there's a dip and you're ok if the climb continues.

Today was like a Monday morning opening, except after a three-day weekend, and the combination of Friday's massive gains plus down broader markets today led to a cautious start of trading. Shares traded in the first minute of trading were something like 100 shares, but contrast these with the shares traded during the last minute of regular trading: 103,000 shares. Obviously, the "buy on close" selection was popular today.

Note that the first hour of "Monday morning" trading is typically a good place to do some selling, if inclined, and the morning peak of 239.58 would likely disappoint no sellers, but the rally didn't last long.

Conditions:
* Dow down 59 (0.30%)
* NASDAQ down 35 (0.63%)
* TSLA 235.58, down 2.17 (0.91%)
* TSLA volume 4.6M shares
* Oil 52.53, up 0.16 (0.31%)
* Morning's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate: (39,000) covering, 2.00% interest rate
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts: Not available

tslajan18.JPG

Forum members who continue to expect TSLA to trade in a 235-240 range have been enjoying buying on dips and selling on local highs over the past week or so. No mention has been made by TSLA regarding Q4 ER date yet.Today's opening minute of trading included 94,000 shares traded, while the closing minute ran at about 41,000 shares.

Conditions:
* Dow down 22 (0.11%)
* NASDAQ up 17 (0.31%)
* TSLA 238.36, up 2.78 (1.18%)
* TSLA volume 3.7M shares
* Oil 51.31, down 1.17 (2.23%)
* Morning's Fidelity short share drawdown or (covering) and interest rate: unknown, down from 2.0% to 1.75%, IB at 2.09%
* Yesterday's www.shortanalytics.com percentage of TSLA trading done by shorts: Not available

Reactions: GoTslaGo and 1kEE
tslajan18a.JPG

Here's the full after-hours trading of TSLA today. Notice that the stock had a nice spurt at the end, it closed at 238.72, up from market close of 238.36. The climb might not sound great, but I generally find such after-hours climbs as bullish indicators for the next day or two. We'll see.

Morgan Stanley just raised its target to $305 for TSLA. The good side of 240, here we come. I'm wondering if some of that late afternoon buying of TSLA in after-hours was done by people who caught wind of the upgrade. We may never know.

Wonder if Jonas read this (inspired by Curt Renz of course!):

I'm thinking 234 to 252. Then @Curt Renz pointed out potential Elliot Wave pattern formation. When I looked at that, the upside looks like it might go to 300!
;)

Wait, he's an analyst and they use Real Numbers, not squiggly lines on a chart...