Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily use of summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to take a Model S home for a day and tried out summon to park in a two car garage.

While it worked, I was on pins and needles the whole time. Anybody use summon daily in a tight environment? Is it reliable enough to use all the time?

I use it twice daily. I'm living in an apartment while my house is being built. I have a narrow single car garage. I use summon to enter and exit. Works great....

Most of the time.

When backing in it sometimes stops 3 feet early and shuts down. Can't figure out why.

Yup, I use it to back into/pull out of my garage every day. It is very reliable, but I never take it for granted that it will do what it is supposed to. You can stop it at any time by clicking the remote. I've found that the key is doing a good job of lining the car up and getting the wheel straight before starting the summon. That sounds like a lot of extra work, but it really doesn't take long, and is a whole lot quicker than starting over from the beginning.

Once in a while it gets caught a little on the bump between the driveway and the garage floor, but it always fights its way through it. Once in a blue moon, that fight causes it to pull in a little cock-eyed. When that happens, I summon it back out of the garage, straighten it out myself, and repeat. Rest assured, the whole thing happens in slow motion, so there shouldn't be any mishaps if you're paying attention.

In tight spots I've had mix results including one time it hit (touched) the other car in the garage. The nose ended up in the rear wheel well of the other car. Luckily no damage to either car but they were definitely touching. I'm playing around with the clearances in "tight mode" to see if I can find the sweet spot for my situation.

Other scenarios I've used it in, pulling out of a spot where I parked tight agsinst the passenger side do that my passenger can get into the car and backing the car up when I didn't park far enough (of too far) in a space.

I also use it twice daily. My single-car garage is rather narrow and seemed to be custom built around a VW Beetle...

The lip between the garage and the driveway is fairly big from years of wear on the asphalt so sometimes the back axle doesn't make it over and the car bails on pulling into the garage. I tried to build up the area a little but it hasn't been a very good solution. Laziness has mostly been what has kept me from finding a better fix. (Currently if I feel like the car is going to not make it over I will just help it out with a solid push until it clears the lip).

The unintended but very welcome side effect to the interior drop of the lip is that since the garage is so shallow, the 8" minimum distance isn't quite far enough in for the garage door to close to my satisfaction. The momentum of the car coming off the lip causes it to brake (sometimes accompanied by the AEB "doot doot doot" much to my amusement) about 4-6 inches from the back of the garage (less if you take into account the Redskins #1 Foam Finger I've placed for a bit of cushion should the car drift too far).

IMG_20160707_192203.jpg

I also use it twice daily. My single-car garage is rather narrow and seemed to be custom built around a VW Beetle...

[...]

The unintended but very welcome side effect to the interior drop of the lip is that since the garage is so shallow, the 8" minimum distance isn't quite far enough in for the garage door to close to my satisfaction.

@kevinf311 Your garage sounds similar to mine: detached single car garage built ~86yrs ago. I think that pre-dates the VW bug!

Clearance through the door frame only 3" per side with mirrors extended (looks a heck of a lot less than that as I park the car. Yes I fold the mirrors in if I've misjudged the approach.)

To the OP:
I would use summon daily to park the car if it weren't for the minimum setting of 20cm (8") for front bumper clearance. I've tried it several times and it safely navigates the narrow width of the garage door. Seems reliable, no anxiety watching it do its thing. But my garage is both narrow and short - to safely close the garage door and leave enough clearance from the trunk, the car needs to be practically touching the front wall (closer than the photo above) which summon can't do by itself.

Unless they reduce the min setting of 8"/20cm by a couple inches (maybe a limitation of the ultrasonic sensor resolution?), right now I have to manually drive the car a couple inches closer after I park using summon, so that basically defeats the purpose.

When backing the car out of the garage using summon, often it will abort before it reaches the preset distance. I assume this might be caused by the car switching internet connection from wifi in the garage to LTE? Not sure but that's my guess. Note that here in Canada you can ONLY summon by continuous press of the button in the app, no fob summon supported here.

I use it in and out of my garage a few times a week (not quite daily). It works great with a little care lining the car up properly first,
and really pretty well even if you're a bit sloppy (I find it kind of cool watching it compensate for my sloppiness ;)). @jfoxny's
unfortunate experience notwithstanding, my experience is that its failure mode is almost always giving up "too easily", rather than
hitting hitting anything (and that's as it should be). What's kind of silly is more often than not after it gives up if I simply tell it to proceed
from exactly where it stopped with no other intervention it works. Go figure.

Bottom line: contrary to what you'll see some people saying on these boards, summon is not just a toy; for some people and some
circumstances it is very useful and very cool.

I usually pull mine in the garage my self but like to use summons to pull it out. But sometimes, it pulls out and keeps going. Down the driveway and heading out to the street. It ends up going like 45 to 50 feet. How come it does that?

It ends up going like 45 to 50 feet. How come it does that?
What do you have the summon distance set to? Maybe it is just something about the way you described it, but it is alarming
that you didn't just use the fob or the app to stop it when it went farther than you wanted -- it suggests, perhaps wrongly, that
you weren't remaining in control throughout the procedure.

@kevinf311 Your garage sounds similar to mine: detached single car garage built ~86yrs ago. I think that pre-dates the VW bug!

Clearance through the door frame only 3" per side with mirrors extended (looks a heck of a lot less than that as I park the car. Yes I fold the mirrors in if I've misjudged the approach.)

To the OP:
I would use summon daily to park the car if it weren't for the minimum setting of 20cm (8") for front bumper clearance. I've tried it several times and it safely navigates the narrow width of the garage door. Seems reliable, no anxiety watching it do its thing. But my garage is both narrow and short - to safely close the garage door and leave enough clearance from the trunk, the car needs to be practically touching the front wall (closer than the photo above) which summon can't do by itself.

Unless they reduce the min setting of 8"/20cm by a couple inches (maybe a limitation of the ultrasonic sensor resolution?), right now I have to manually drive the car a couple inches closer after I park using summon, so that basically defeats the purpose.

When backing the car out of the garage using summon, often it will abort before it reaches the preset distance. I assume this might be caused by the car switching internet connection from wifi in the garage to LTE? Not sure but that's my guess. Note that here in Canada you can ONLY summon by continuous press of the button in the app, no fob summon supported here.

These issues are true for me as well.

What do you have the summon distance set to? Maybe it is just something about the way you described it, but it is alarming
that you didn't just use the fob or the app to stop it when it went farther than you wanted -- it suggests, perhaps wrongly, that
you weren't remaining in control throughout the procedure.
I have had it set for 30, 20 and 10 feet but it does the same thing. I was in control, i had the fob in my hand but I wanted to see how far it would go. I wouldnt have let it get out of control.

I usually pull mine in the garage my self but like to use summons to pull it out. But sometimes, it pulls out and keeps going. Down the driveway and heading out to the street. It ends up going like 45 to 50 feet. How come it does that?
If you summon your car into the garage, the next time you activate it you will "unsummon" your car -- it will stop where it was when you first summoned it. If you pull in by yourself, pulling out is a "summon" and not an "unsummon," so it will travel the full distance set in the configuration page.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
I also use Summon daily.

It saves me time as parking in my garage is hard (tight), and I am 100% sure that in the last 9 months I would have hit a wall at least once.

I am also often doing blindly, commands the car to get out from inside the house, then go back to finish getting ready while the car gets out and closes the garage door.

I do check that nothing is on the driveway through the window, and locate the kids first, but otherwise, all automated.

it used to be even more automated with Remote S

Marc Boyer - Automation level 5 unlocked ! | Facebook