Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily use of Untethered Charger and Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, though most people wouldn't feel comfortable doing that (and to be fair, they shouldn't be doing it!). It's not that much more complicated than changing the plug on an appliance.

I wholeheartedly agree, it's a job for a competent person, one that knows how to safely prove a circuit is dead and has a reliable means to do that, plus an understanding of the need to ensure terminals are correctly tightened and the cable secured properly. Few electricians will charge less than one hour's labour, anyway, so getting one out to do a cable change would be a minimum of an hour's cost.

Having said that, there are people around who are competent to do a job like this. It's technically no harder than changing a plug, with the only additional issue being the need to ensure that the circuit supplying the charge point has been proved to be dead before starting work. One issue is that fewer people now know how to change a plug, since the regs changed to insist that all appliances are sold with one fitted. I remember my mother teaching me to wire a plug, when I was a small boy, and before we had 13 A plugs with fuses. "red on the right" is still a mantra that pops into my head whenever I do one, even now!

Reactions: Zakalwe
Changing a plug is a dying art.

These days it ranks up there with working on your in home gas pipes... at least with electricity the electrons don't leak out and explode.

I don't know the regs for house wiring, and sometimes struggle to get my head around which some of the fun stuff (like multi way light switches) as I'd very much have -every- live wire red/brown, and -every- neutral be blue... and they aren't. But as for simply undoing and redoing something... I'd do that without question.

For example, have smart lightbulbs all over the house. They need to be turned on at all times, so light switches have been removed, wago connectors use to join the right wires, and blanking plate placed of the top. Was it hard? No.

Reactions: Zakalwe