TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daimler Battery Tech Breakthrough??

Discussion in 'News' started by doug, Apr 19, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I thought this was worth posting here:

Daimler touting breakthrough in battery technology, increases R&D spending - AutoblogGreen
    TCC Blog » Blog Archive » Daimler Spending $21 Billion on R&D

How is this a "breakthrough" and how is this different from what Tesla's doing with their ESS? Daimler is acting like this is a new idea.

2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

You wait, any day now.

"Tesla sues Daimler" :)

3. BrianMRolfe

BrianMRolfe Member

Ok, I know I read too much fiction, but could this be a prelude to Daimler suing Tesla? (we had the idea first and patented it before you used it)

Regardless of the final outcome, if Daimler can drum up enough merit for an actual suite, they could bury Tesla in litigation, inhibit production of the Roadster, and run off investment capital.

Yeah, I know it is a conspiracy theory but what do ya'll think? Is Daimler "killing the electric car" again?

4. doug

Tesla has said that many (most?) of their own patents are on their battery pack. I assume that means the cooling system, as well as the packing and management for all those cells, etc. If one company is infringing on the other's patents, then they should pay royalties. It's hard for Daimler to patent something that Tesla can prove they've already been using. The systems may be different enough. As far as I know Tesla's battery pack temperature management is completely separate from the cabin HVAC system.
    It's hard to know what Daimler means by "the integration of the vehicle’s cooling system." Almost sounds like they have the coolant from the ICE running through the battery pack, or (more likely) that it works with the cabin HVAC system. Who knows. Don't even know if their talking about a pure EV or a hybrid.
    It doesn't off the bat seem to me that there needs to be a lawsuit. Just seems dumb to be bragging about a "breakthrough" when the current highest profile EV company has been using a similar sounding system for the past couple years. Daimler needs to be more specific about what their breakthrough is.

5. BrianMRolfe

BrianMRolfe Member

Hi Doug,

I see your point. It was the "We've protected this innovation with 25 patents" part that caught my attention. It sounded like a shot over the bow.

6. DDB

DDB Member

Well, put up or shut up. Protect what? This idea I have in my head? Yawn :rolleyes:

7. doug

I see your point too. We just don't know enough. Like DBB said, "Protect what?" Diamler needs to be more specific.