TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Daimler CEO: Google, Apple 'our main benchmarks - not any more BMW, Audi and Tesla is insignificant.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AUSinator, Apr 12, 2016.

1. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

Daimler CEO: Google, Apple 'our main benchmarks - not any more BMW, Audi and Tesla is insignificant.

See:

Why Mercedes is worried about Google and Apple

I put this under the model 3 headline as its the Model 3's reservations that got the CEO of Daimler thinking.
    So i would love to hear your thoughts about his comment.
    My question is DO WE AGREE?

• Dislike x 1
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I think the reference to Tesla in your thread title is taken out of context. Daimler used to think Tesla was insignificant, but not anymore after the Model 3 launch:

• Like x 4
  3. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

agreed. their shareholders were in an uproar at their meeting last week.

4. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

Fascinating. At what point is a company no longer a startup? Tesla's products are pretty serious, much more serious than anyone else's.

"Startups GM and Ford Make Lame Attempts at EVs"

Free headline for any journalists out there ...

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To the OP: your thread title is inaccurate. It is obvious that Daimler is very concerned about competition from Tesla.

6. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Gee, I guess maybe they shouldn't have sold their stake in TSLA then. Ironic that Tesla would have gone out of business if not for the last-minute Daimler investment.

• Like x 1
  7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I guess, compared to 100+ year-old car companies, it's still a startup? I'm from the Bay Area (which includes Silicon Valley), so the term "start-up" is not a pejorative to me. Instead, it connotes innovation, daring, moxie, and being unfettered by established norms... qualities I associate with Tesla. So, yeah, the "start-up" is making some of the establishment uneasy.

• Like x 2
  8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

OP has title of thread all wrong

This is first line of article

Google, Apple and Tesla are now a bigger threat to Mercedes-Benz than traditional rivals Audi and BMW, according to Daimler boss Dr Dieter Zetsche.

• Dislike x 1
  9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Considering that the MS is outselling the S Class in the US, they better start worrying!

• Like x 1
  10. larmor

larmor Member

Wait till MX outsells MB 7 seater GL series....

11. NoPetrolDream

NoPetrolDream Member

Daimler should be asking themselves why NONE of their products attract a vast horde of diverse people out of the woodwork to plunk good money down on a vehicle none of these same folk have ever touched. All with no advertising. Just a product that has people willing to sleep in the cold to be further ahead in the reservation queue.

The old guard is worried. They should be. As more people experience EV performance and ownership, ICE will be seen more and more like rotary phones vs. smart phones.

Change is hard, but not impossible. One can either fight it or ride its forward moving wave.

12. Drivin

Drivin Member

Hyperbole alert.

Some shareholders asked about it. No idea if they owned a significant amount of shares.

Remember this is the same shareholder meeting where the police were called in to settle a fight over sausages.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

Unfair as the GL is a lot cheaper than the mx.

14. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

The vast majority of MB S class buyers aren't cross shopping the MS
    I'd say alot of BMW 5 and Mercedes E class buyers are cross shopping.
    S and 7 series buyer are still shopping the comfort and not so much performance.
    It's hard to talk the old guys out of their S class lol

15. larmor

larmor Member

I guess so, but i have a 2012 gl550, it was pricey, and after that they added a gl63 amg model as well. Then when i went in to try and lease a gl350 diesel (allegedly) the lease was much higher. And there was huge dealer explanation about massive demand for gl car, and after waiting two hours for the 'manager,' showed wife a video of FWD and we were out... Also tires for a gl550 295/45 22 are much more $$ than those for an MX, and our gl ate tires for lunch.

• Like x 1
  16. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

A mess of an article. I'm not sure if it was Daimler calling Tesla insignificant, or the 'journalist'. This thread title is further misleading.

• Like x 1
  17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This is the same CEO that one week said we don't need no stinking battery factory, then the next week announced they were building a battery factory...

• Like x 1