Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daimler in deal with Renault-Nissan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Daimler-Renault Deal: Birth of an 800-Pound Green Car Gorilla?

As Tesla noted in its most recent filing with the SEC (an amendment to its IPO registration), it’s now negotiating agreements for Daimler to provide “access to various parts, automotive support and engineering for the Model S,” and is in talks with Daimler “regarding various other areas of strategic cooperation.” However, it’s clear at this point that the startup is hardly a shoe-in to expand its supply deal beyond the 1,400-pack trial.

A big reason for the Tesla deal, Daimler’s Thomas Weber (who is responsible for group research and Mercedes cars development) said last spring, was to get an electric car on the market as soon as possible, faster than it could with internal development. As Daimler racks up more and larger partners in EV development and manufacturing, from Evonik to BYD and now Renault-Nissan — which is ready to start selling the Nissan LEAF this year — smaller startups like Tesla may have a tougher time getting in on the action.

Officially, Official: Renault-Nissan and Daimler announce alliance - Autoblog Green
It is the intention of both groups to create a long-term framework to work closely on future areas of cooperation between Renault, Nissan and Daimler. Each company will pursue future opportunities following the closing of the agreement on the strategic cooperation and the implementation of the first major cooperation projects. These include opportunities to be studied on shared modules and components between Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz vehicles, regional cooperation in the United States, China and Japan between Nissan, Infiniti and Daimler. In addition, opportunities to co-develop technologies relating to electric vehicles and batteries will be explored between Renault, Nissan and Daimler.

Last edited:
Beat me to it: Daimler, Renault Team Up On Electric Car Tech

My only concern here is that with the three biggest mainstream EV players getting under the same umbrella, it's far easier for some board-level change of strategy to kill the whole thing off...

Well the EV "cat" is out of the bag - with GM, Fiat, Ford etc all coming out with EVs. Besides, Nissan-Renault has essentially bet the farm on EV. They are spending billions in these hard times. I just don't see a 3% Daimler share changing that.

Infact, I'm not sure what Nissan-Renault is getting out of this deal. May be some access to dealerships for Infinity ? Daimler ofcource needs Nissan-Renault's small cars (atleast for CAFE etc) and batteries.

"Daimler and Renault Already At Odds Over Who Will Provide Power Packs for EVs" Green Car Advisor
Ghosn-and-Zetsche.jpg