Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daimler shakes up EV formula

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Daimler is converting Smart brand to all-electric in North America, no more gas-powered Smart cars

For you see... most car makers follow a simple formula when making an EV.

1. Make it an EV
2. Make it fugly so it won't sell
3. Make it crap so it won't sell

Daimler has taken a novel approach here

1. Make it fugly
2. Make it crap
3. Make it an EV.

While most might applaud, I can only see more fuel to the obvious that any 'traditional' auto maker is actively attempting to ensure no one buys EVs...

The Smart ICE was burdened with an obstinate transmission that made it almost impossible to squeeze into small parking spaces, DOH! The EV restores sanity and irresistibility. Plus there should be lots of 'tesla inside'. Make your 2 car garage a 3 car garage.
--

This thread completely misses the point. Smart in crowded narrow streets in big cities works. It has had weaknesses since the inception, and attempt to sell them in the land of F-150's is absurd. As an EV in the dense cities of Europe makes sense. It is not ideal, but they are making huge investments, so we'll see the results within the next two years. In the meantime, the half dozen Smart owners within a block of me in Rio de Janeiro suggest there is appeal in some markets. The two of them I know like them well, but the Smart of car #6 for one and car #3 for the other.

Daimler is converting Smart brand to all-electric in North America, no more gas-powered Smart cars

For you see... most car makers follow a simple formula when making an EV.

1. Make it an EV
2. Make it fugly so it won't sell
3. Make it crap so it won't sell

Daimler has taken a novel approach here

1. Make it fugly
2. Make it crap
3. Make it an EV.

While most might applaud, I can only see more fuel to the obvious that any 'traditional' auto maker is actively attempting to ensure no one buys EVs...

Most cars bought today are not attractive. Attractive cars are not big sellers.

Which sells more, the sexy BRZ Subaru or the meh Outback? I can tell you it's a bloodbath. 183,000 for the Outback, 4,000 for the BRZ in 2016.

The Smart ForTwo is a very specific tool for a job. Tight inner city streets and parking. Not a lot of demand because few US streets are more than 200 years old.

The EV version of this would do just fine...
smart-fortwo-car-monster-truck.jpeg