Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dallas Service Center damage while in-service >$30k, Tesla won't cover diminished value!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, in both cases it goes under the at-fault person's insurance. He would have likely spent less time dealing directly with the at-fault insurance than he has with Tesla.

I doubt it. Have you dealt with an insurance company after an accident? Will they give you a Model X as a loaner? If I were the OP, I would let Tesla deal with this also.

That isn't an option you get. That at-fault insurance company gets to determine if they will total the car or pay to repair it to "pre-loss" condition.

You especially lose any control over this by letting Tesla control the interaction/repair process. If you control it before you authorize any repairs you could say look with >$30k damage, plus rental fees, plus DV in the end you are likely going to pay more than the car is worth, why not just total it.

In the end if it is that important to you, why would you hand control over to someone who really has no skin in the game?

Oh Tesla has skin in the game alright as this is very much their problem to solve. I have every confidence that they will make this right.

I don't disagree with you that the OP COULD have gone after the at fault party but let me ask you this question, if you drive a Tesla loaner and someone runs a red light, would Tesla go after you or the at fault party? Tesla would go after your insurance company as their agreement to return their car is with you, not a third party. Same applies here.

Personally I would not go through the hassle of pursuing a third party but you may decide otherwise and there is no right or wrong here.

• Funny
Reactions: bonnie and vrykolas
Does it really matter who ran the red light?

Yes, it matters from a legal and insurance perspective. Tesla may owe a duty to the OP as a bailee depending on contractual and statutory requirements (and also has a non-legal requirement of acting in goodwill esp in circumstances like this), but Tesla may have a claim over for contribution and indemnity from the tortfeasor's insurer. That's why I asked. The OP should be pursuing both Tesla and the tortfeasor's insurer -- the more at the negotiating and settlement table the better -- and both are proper defendants in this situation should he not be satisfied with settlement offers and pursues litigation.

Isn't the $5000 for covering diminished value? I found the formula for insurance company to calculate diminished value for Texas on this URL:
How insurance companies calculate diminished value claims by Dallas labor lawyer Adam Kielich • Fort Worth and Dallas Employment Lawyers | The Kielich Law Firm

So if you 2016/17 MX is worth about $80,000 currently without accident records. And you have about 20,000 miles on it. The damage to it is considered as "major damage to structure and panels". The formula will be

Diminished Value = $80000 x 0.10 (cap) x 0.75 (damage multiplier) x 0.80 (mileage multiplier) = $4800

• Informative
Reactions: bonnie and vrykolas
I wouldn't want to deal with the 3P insurance. Minimum liability is is 25K in property damage. Unless the 3P has extra coverage or the OP has under insured coverage the max that he would get is $25K to cover costs of repairs, he'd then have to go after the 3P personally to reclaim the rest of the money. I'd be interested to know what the 3P insurance coverage actually was and what the police report says.

Does it really matter who ran the red light?
we in the Aerospace industry (covers a lot of automotive elements) have to regularly go through random drug tests. If it were the Tesla driver? And Tesla hadn't been testing their drivers? Oh yeah, whole different ballgame. That's why it pisses me off when they disconnect are blackvue dashcam. who's to say Tesla isn't covering stuff up. How long did they deny there was such a thing as windshields ghosting? ... how long ago was it Tesla said AP2 would be as smooth as silk?? just sayin'

Reactions: croman
Really? So if your friend was driving your car and someone else ran a red light and ran into your car you expect your friend to deal with it?

It sounds like Tesla did nothing wrong, and I don't see this as really their problem to deal with. Their responsibility should have been the exchange of information with the at-fault driver and getting that information to the owner of the car to deal with.

As far as the not totaling, if Tesla is footing the repair bills I can see that they wouldn't total it. This is why the OP should have been dealing with the at-fault insurance company directly. (Or their own insurance company.)
Your friend having an accident and Tesla employee having an accident while in their care are two totally different scenarios. I would demand a replacement bc of frame damage. If it hadn’t had frame damage I would go after diminished value and call it a day but the frame damage would be a deal breaker. I would co Tunis to escalate this until your taken care of.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and vrykolas
fwiw, i would take the tesla offer.

while it would be great to be 100% made whole, this is basically just an unfortunate accident that happens and is part of the risk involved when taking your car to service, valet parking a car, etc. i'm actually kind of surprised that tesla even gave $5k and the extended warranty and service. i would think they would simply just fix it and give you a loaner for the time that it's getting fixed and you'd be out the diminished value but maybe i just have low expectations.

Tough situation that is a 3rd person's fault, though Telsa should have done better. Under Texas law, the 3rd party is responsible to pay the diminished value of a vehicle. However, your own insurance is not
American Manufacturers Mutual Ins. Co. v. Schafer, 124 S.W.3d 154 (Tex. 2003) . Weird quirk of the law that hopefully will get fixed. I point this out because Tesla is really neither a 1st or 3rd party, but bailor of your vehicle. They are supposed to get you your car back as good as when you dropped it, but, I've never seen a case where there was a battle over Dim Val in a bailor bailee situation and I'm not sure which way a court would go, like a 3rd party or like a 1st party?

I can tell you that DV is a somewhat subjective damage in my experience. A vehicle is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Some might buy your car and never even ask if it was in a wreck before, others might say if it was in a wreck, they won't touch it. The market value for a previously damaged model X is not nearly as established it would be for say an F150 or a Camry. With those cars, you can probably project a DV figure with a grand or two. In your case, you've gotten to a stand off between $11k and $5k. That's not a huge chasm in a $100k car. Keep pushing, see if you can get a compromise and be done with it, even though you will not get your $11k. They are not going to pay $11k short of a jury verdict telling them to in all likelihood. Also...how long have you been without the car? Did they give you a loaner? If not, you also have a loss of use claim that you could assert to up what they owe you.

That said, you have the right to go after the 3rd party's insurance. I'm guessing Tesla will do that. Find out and if not closed, assert your DV claim against the 3rd party liability insurance and see if you can make up your difference there. I wouldn't do that without notifying Tesla though because they may have already cut a deal with the 3rd party insurer. If so, find out the terms of that deal. Good luck!

This situation is beyond exasperating, and I've been holding this story for >6 months, hoping Tesla would make it right.
But due to Tesla service's lack of responsibility & service-quality I'm forced to make this public.
I'm hoping SOMEONE at Tesla sees this and can help fix the situation asap.

Background:
  • Brought our X90D in for service for several items at end of September 2017, received loaner.
  • Dallas SC manager called later that day to say our X was in accident (no one injured); someone ran a red-light while Techs were on test-drive to reproduce problems.
  • Assessment found >$30k USD in damage, *including* frame damage on front-right corner
My concerns with damage:
  • High amount of damage estimate has invevitable diminished-value (3rd party estimated $11,000 in diminished-value)
  • Frame-damage could compromise the safety (which was one of the biggest selling points for us)
  • I was REALLY concerned with the frame-damage
My Initial goal/hope for outcome of the situation:
  • Get our car completely repaired (Tesla ensured us that frame safety was not compromised and would be repaired to "full" specs)
  • Get full dimished-value reimbursement from Tesla
  • Get extended-warranty to cover any reliability/efficiency problems that could result from repair
Tesla's offer varied several times over many months of negotiations with their Head of Service for Southwest USA. My MAIN complaint was that our Tesla was damaged to NO fault of our own and Tesla said they accepted FULL responsibility for the situation and we should be reimbursed for that.

In the end they would not go above $5000 cash reimbursement. Full disclosure, they (eventually) included 4yr extended warranty and 4yr service plan. But my complaint with this is that if we sold the car now, we would be at a LOSS! (for something that was completely under Tesla's responsibility!)

On top of the above, our contact (*Head* of Service) refused to give me updates or even a call-back to say he was busy for >2 MONTHS with multiple attempts/voicemails to reach him! ...even after many escalations to Tesla (central) support and the local Dallas SC.

My biggest disappointment is that I expected more from Tesla from this whole situation. I am (or *was*) a Tesla fanboy.
For years, I've seen Tesla "do the right thing" with Customers in the news and on forums, and I don't understand why this whole ordeal has needed to be so contentious.
I can't express the amount of disappointment, frustration, and sleepless nights (due to worry and unknowns caused by Tesla service).

All I wanted was my car, the full diminished-value, and extended warranty (due to concerns with the frame)...
It could have been solved SO easily and quickly.....

Help

Tesla repaired your car, extended your bumper to bumper warranty 4-years, gave you a 4-year service plan, provided you a loaner that was better than your actual car and paid you $5k cash. Is that correct?

I get that it's a crappy situation, but *sugar* happens. Seems like they took care of you better than I would have expected. Sucks that you had to push them to provide some of that, but that sounds like a good deal to me. Heck, now I kinda hope they crash mine next time I need service.

Sounds like Tesla has already done more than they are legally obligated. In many states the diminished value is a pretty grey area.
They gave you Tesla loaners while yours was being repaired. This means all those miles were put on their cars instead of yours. That plus $5,000 and extended coverages seems to be a pretty good deal, however you want even more...

OP, sorry you're in this situation. Hpnestly, I would be pretty upset if there was frame damage. I think of course they would say they will fix it up and it will be fine.. The structural integrity to me is more important than the cash and extra warranty and service plan.

I love my model X but things like this make me worried to have such an expensive car, seems there is so much at stake.

Good luck, at this point the only thing i can think of is to tweet Elon and to escalate the concern in the tesla app.

Reactions: vrykolas