Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dallas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Showed off my Model S today at Cars and Coffee Dallas today. It was very popular and the only Tesla except a white roadster. Lots of nice cars there but no doubt I would not have traded my S for any of them. Would be great to have a tesla group at a future date.
First Saturdays at Classic BMW in Plano - there were hundreds of cars there - almost all of them very noisy.

Bill Tesla UT Tower.JPG

JUST TAKING A WILD STAB
-- Austin Tesla Owner Seeking New Dallas Friend with a NEMA 14-50

I've had my 85kw Model S for about six weeks; and, of course, absolutely LOVE it.

On Feb 22 I'm driving it to Dallas, staying at the Marriott City Center, then returning to Austin on the 24th. The Marriott doesn't have EV charging, and I can't change to a different hotel.

So far I've found two options for recharging my car:
1. Get a friend to follow me to the Tesla Service Center in Farmers Branch (about 10 miles) to leave the car overnight.
2. Drive over to the Omni Hotel and leave the car there for 12-20 hrs of Level 2 charging before the trip back to Austin.

Is there Dallas Tesla owner with a home NEMA 14-50 located near downtown (Highland, University Park, etc.) who'd be willing to let me plug in overnight?

I'd sure appreciate it and would certainly be happy to reciprocate any time you're coming to Austin.

Thanks,

Bill
[email protected]
conciergefamilymedicine.com

512-657-1261

I've just had our facilities guys install a 14-50 in the parking lot (there's also a 120v for one of my guys that owns a Volt). It's not really officially a 'public' station yet, although I'm working on that, it's good PR, all it needs is a sign and some bays painted out. Anyway, if you ever find yourself in the armpit of Irving (near the old Cowboys stadium), then you can juice up between 7am and 8pm (gates are locked outside those hours). PM me if anyone needs the location.

Yes - have you seen me there?

no, our main office is closer to Presby Dallas. I hang around a couple radiologist and other docs that are from there. We had a group that went out to Dallas Karting Complex to go racing and they saw my tesla. Once we got to talking, one guy ?INternist says he saw your S in the parking lot there and I stated I bet you were the one at Cars and Coffee!

I know it's been put off, but I would really love to get a Tesla store in Dallas. I want to be able to take my wife, family, and friends and show them what I've been talking about and see their eyes light up.

Why was the Dallas Gallery put off?

I don't know for sure, but my WAG is that having both a service centre and a gallery makes it too much like a dealership for Texas. Then again, maybe North Park wanted too much for rent or perhaps there were no available spaces that would work.

I don't know for sure, but my WAG is that having both a service centre and a gallery makes it too much like a dealership for Texas. Then again, maybe North Park wanted too much for rent or perhaps there were no available spaces that would work.

That doesn't fit with having both in Austin and Houston. I agree with the second part - there probably wasn't an appropriate space available at Northpark (e.g. second floor not ideal for bringing in cars). If so, I wonder if they would use the Galleria as a fallback if a space was available.

I agree with the second part - there probably wasn't an appropriate space available at Northpark (e.g. second floor not ideal for bringing in cars). If so, I wonder if they would use the Galleria as a fallback if a space was available.

The Galleria would be ideal. North Park is a pain to get to and even worse to park in.

SteveH: Ownership impressions Day 1

(Mods: Feel free to move this. I really didn't know where to put it.)

Picked my 60-Blue up from the Dallas Service Center yesterday afternoon. You heard that right, "from the Dallas Service Center." Yesterday afternoon was the first day Tesla allowed that in Texas. Not sure what legal risk debates and discussions lead up to it, but for me it was awesome as it's pretty close to work and allowed me to get my car sooner than expected.

After living vicariously through you all for months and dreaming of owning the car for years there were still some observations that surprised me once I got some real time in it:

1. OMG - After having so many people post that it's the greatest car on earth, I thought I was ready for this. It shouldn't' be able to beat my high expectations. But it did.
  2. Ride Quality - I've never owned a luxury car before so this may just be by comparison to my Prius, but the car smooths out bumps in the road like I wouldn't believe possible.
  3. Rear visibility - As others have mentioned, the visibility out the rear view mirror is poor. What I didn't know is that the restriction isn't really on the sides; with the mirrors adjusted properly (Car Talk Method) I had no problems watching traffic in adjacent lanes. The real problem was vertical visibility. I like looking in the eyes of the person behind me to get a feel for what he/she is thinking. Are they in a crazy hurry? Are they using a cell phone? Are they looking to one side or the other to change lanes and pass me? etc. With a pickup or SUV behind me even at a safe distance all I see is grill.
  4. Admittedly I'm moving from a Prius, but the performance in the 60 is more than enough and I actually scared myself a bit punching it on a winding road. Any faster and I would have been in a ditch on my first night. Slow and easy for now on and maybe a performance driving lesson in my future. (Anyone know a good place in Texas that teaches these classes?)
  5. I've always driven small cars and parking anxiety is going to be huge for me. Even being conscious of the low front bumper I accidentally got within an inch of a parking bumper. The size of the car is going to take some serious getting used to.
  6. My favorite cooler sits adequately in the well of the truck. It doesn't sit flat, but fits in there nicely enough that I'm not worried about spilling it. I know the rest of you won't care at all about this, but I woke up at 6am and couldn't go back to sleep until I had verified. (If someone comes up with a workable idea on how to safely turn the frunk into a giant cooler, please let me know.)
  7. The turn signal is a half of a fingers width forward of where I expect it to be. I'm sure I'll get used to this quickly.
  8. The cruise control level is no where near where I would expect it and my first impression is that I'm not a fan of the 3/1 mph changes. It's too hard to feel where the 1mph ends and the 3 begins. Also, I agree with whoever said that pushing the stalk forward to cancel cruise is backwards. I'm sure I'll get used to this lever as I use CC all the time, but it won't be as quick as the turn signals.
  9. The car is really beautiful. I like it better now than the other times I've seen it in person, but that may just be because it's mine.
  10. For my rare, but possible pre-Texas-SuperCharger roadtrips, I can't quite decide how I will sleep at an overnight stay at an RV park: seat laid back (not bad, but the head rest is too narrow for my fat head to stay on it all night), lay the back seats down and sleep back there (would need a pretty thick mat to make the elevation change between the trunk and the seats comfortable), or use a tent.

photo.JPG

1. For my rare, but possible pre-Texas-SuperCharger roadtrips, I can't quite decide how I will sleep at an overnight stay at an RV park: seat laid back (not bad, but the head rest is too narrow for my fat head to stay on it all night), lay the back seats down and sleep back there (would need a pretty thick mat to make the elevation change between the trunk and the seats comfortable), or use a tent.

Congratulations. Can't wait to get mine. However, I feel that the back of the Model S, although roomy with the seats down, isn't quite big enough to pitch a tent. :)

Thanks for sharing.
[*]Rear visibility - As others have mentioned, the visibility out the rear view mirror is poor. What I didn't know is that the restriction isn't really on the sides; with the mirrors adjusted properly (Car Talk Method) I had no problems watching traffic in adjacent lanes. The real problem was vertical visibility. I like looking in the eyes of the person behind me to get a feel for what he/she is thinking. Are they in a crazy hurry? Are they using a cell phone? Are they looking to one side or the other to change lanes and pass me? etc. With a pickup or SUV behind me even at a safe distance all I see is grill.
I have the same issue.

If the fellow Model S owner who introduced himself to me today at Royal and MacArthur in Irving is on here, my apologies. I had just gotten on a conference call that I was late for so I wasn't able to talk like I would have wanted to.

Please let me know who you are and it you're in the area often would love to have a 2nd chance at introductions.

Also, yours was the first other Model S I've seen in the wild.