Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage from service visit | Full breakdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon intake of my car in March, it was noted that the cars steering wheel was barely off and that the car, as a result, it was turning slightly to the RIGHT when traveling at the 0 power point (i.e when 0 power is being given or taken from the car while moving). I brought it in immediately once I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off center. This was a slight pull to the right from the steering wheel being about 3-5 degrees off center, and was not causing sway to the LEFT on acceleration and regen, as is the case after this series of unfortunate events (details to follow).

After this visit in March, where I paid for a re-alignment, my car was given back to me with a large scratch and dent on both the driver side rear (by the charging port) and on the bumper. I could not believe that the team at Tesla handed me my keys back with this clear amount of body damage. As a result of this damage, the parking assist did not work, which had to be repaired by the team along with other damages. It is not clear to me how hard my car was struck and by what, and what other damages this could have caused.

After picking up my car with the damages, it was clear that the steering wheel was still off center. I asked for them to please do the original alignment and fix the damages caused by the service center. Casey then called and offered (as a complimentary service for hitting my car) to replace the front sway bars, as well as the rear integral links and spring and damper assembly. Great! I thought this was Tesla’s way of saying sorry… However after hearing the ervice managers explanation over the phone yesterday and in his email, these new parts, installed compliments of Tesla, are causing my other parts to wear quicker? In fact, they apparently weren’t installed correctly.

I went to pick up my vehicle and found that the steering wheel was centered, however the car had an extreme sway and pull on the road upon acceleration and regen. This was the first sign of any pull or sway from accelerating and regen, as the car would drive straight when traveling right between the acceleration/regen point (i.e when 0 power is being given or taken from the car while moving). I immediately called the service center and pulled over on the road. I explained that I got into my car and that it was pulling quite hard to the left when I accelerate (left) and on regen (to the right). I explained that this was quite scary as It swerved me over in my lane quite a bit, nearly grazing the car next to me.

I brought the car right back and was told that the sway bar that was installed failed due to being installed backwards. It isn’t clear to me how much wear that can put on other parts that work in harmony, however, it must be a good amount. The service team then took the car and put in a new sway bar the correct way. It appears that from this repair the car was mostly better, however I explained to Casey that I was extremely unhappy with my service and that I felt as though they had caused other issues with their negligence.

Shortly after this visit my car began making a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the rear. I took the car into Tesla and asked they diagnose. They said all I needed to do was have the axles lubed and torqued down. They also recommended that I have my front break pads and rotors replaced. I decided to do this all under once ticket and had the service center do break pads, rotors, and their recommended axle work. I went to pick up my car and noticed that the axles were still clicking. Please note that this is 5 times I have been to the service center where the claim was made that my car was ready, when in fact it either wasn’t or was damaged. Prior to my arrival I asked that they please test drive the car to ensure the clicking sound was gone. I was assured it was gone and proceeded to pick up my car which had an even louder click than when I dropped it off. The team took my car and assured me they would ‘knock out’ the sounds.

I came back once they said the car was ready and hopped in. I was relived that, although I went though car repair hell with service center, they worked to make it right and make sure all of my concerns were addressed. I was wrong. I pulled off in my car and felt a pull to the left that was many times worse than that caused by the negligent sway bar installation and failure. I released the pedal and felt a pull to the right. My eyes opened wide and I pulled over to call the service team.

I realized that my concerns was not being taken seriously by the rep that was helping me. I prepared a long-form timeline that I sent to the service manager explaining that I was extremely unsatisfied with the results of my car. I explained in detail what had happened in each visit and what the resulting drive experience was like. It is clear that test drives were not taken with my vehicle to ensure safety after repair. If this was the case, then a tech would have immediately noticed the backward sway bar and failure, they would have noticed the click was still apparent from the axles, and they would see the result of their work being a sway on acceleration/regen as they knew what the state of the vehicle was when I brought it in and did my original test drive with the lead tech.

It is clear that during my cars time with this service center it has been not only damaged externally but internally over and over again. From carelessness with the body of the car, to mistakes with installation, I am owed a clear explanation as to what will be done to fix this.

Reactions: rickyjb
You aren't doing anything to help the anxiety I get when my car needs to go into service!

The slow and expensive repairs aren't the part that freaks me out the most. It's having to go back 3 times, 5 times, for one repair. They are so focused on saving money - mostly at the owners epense - but this makes no sense - how does doing the same repair five times save them money? Surely someone must see that recruiting and retaining talented mechanics saves them money in the long run. Maybe even in the first week!

After this visit in March, where I paid for a re-alignment, my car was given back to me with a large scratch and dent on both the driver side rear (by the charging port) and on the bumper. I could not believe that the team at Tesla handed me my keys back with this clear amount of body damage. As a result of this damage, the parking assist did not work, which had to be repaired by the team along with other damages. It is not clear to me how hard my car was struck and by what, and what other damages this could have caused.

I don't know about your service center but when I bring my car to my local one, they walk around the car during check-in and document every single scratch/ding/whatever they find. This is to protect me (and them) from claims that the car was damaged while in service. I am assuming that because they damaged your car, they also repaired said damage right?

As for the other items, I have to ask (and it might be your location) why you wouldn't try a different service center when it became apparent that they were unable/unwilling to fix the issues with your car?

Upon intake of my car in March, it was noted that the cars steering wheel was barely off and that the car, as a result, it was turning slightly to the RIGHT when traveling at the 0 power point (i.e when 0 power is being given or taken from the car while moving). I brought it in immediately once I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off center. This was a slight pull to the right from the steering wheel being about 3-5 degrees off center, and was not causing sway to the LEFT on acceleration and regen, as is the case after this series of unfortunate events (details to follow).

After picking up my car with the damages, it was clear that the steering wheel was still off center. I asked for them to please do the original alignment and fix the damages caused by the service center. Casey then called and offered (as a complimentary service for hitting my car) to replace the front sway bars, as well as the rear integral links and spring and damper assembly. Great! I thought this was Tesla’s way of saying sorry… However after hearing the ervice managers explanation over the phone yesterday and in his email, these new parts, installed compliments of Tesla, are causing my other parts to wear quicker? In fact, they apparently weren’t installed correctly.

I went to pick up my vehicle and found that the steering wheel was centered, however the car had an extreme sway and pull on the road upon acceleration and regen. This was the first sign of any pull or sway from accelerating and regen, as the car would drive straight when traveling right between the acceleration/regen point (i.e when 0 power is being given or taken from the car while moving). I immediately called the service center and pulled over on the road. I explained that I got into my car and that it was pulling quite hard to the left when I accelerate (left) and on regen (to the right). I explained that this was quite scary as It swerved me over in my lane quite a bit, nearly grazing the car next to me.

I brought the car right back and was told that the sway bar that was installed failed due to being installed backwards. It isn’t clear to me how much wear that can put on other parts that work in harmony, however, it must be a good amount. The service team then took the car and put in a new sway bar the correct way. It appears that from this repair the car was mostly better, however I explained to Casey that I was extremely unhappy with my service and that I felt as though they had caused other issues with their negligence.

Shortly after this visit my car began making a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the rear. I took the car into Tesla and asked they diagnose. They said all I needed to do was have the axles lubed and torqued down. They also recommended that I have my front break pads and rotors replaced. I decided to do this all under once ticket and had the service center do break pads, rotors, and their recommended axle work. I went to pick up my car and noticed that the axles were still clicking. Please note that this is 5 times I have been to the service center where the claim was made that my car was ready, when in fact it either wasn’t or was damaged. Prior to my arrival I asked that they please test drive the car to ensure the clicking sound was gone. I was assured it was gone and proceeded to pick up my car which had an even louder click than when I dropped it off. The team took my car and assured me they would ‘knock out’ the sounds.

I came back once they said the car was ready and hopped in. I was relived that, although I went though car repair hell with service center, they worked to make it right and make sure all of my concerns were addressed. I was wrong. I pulled off in my car and felt a pull to the left that was many times worse than that caused by the negligent sway bar installation and failure. I released the pedal and felt a pull to the right. My eyes opened wide and I pulled over to call the service team.

I realized that my concerns was not being taken seriously by the rep that was helping me. I prepared a long-form timeline that I sent to the service manager explaining that I was extremely unsatisfied with the results of my car. I explained in detail what had happened in each visit and what the resulting drive experience was like. It is clear that test drives were not taken with my vehicle to ensure safety after repair. If this was the case, then a tech would have immediately noticed the backward sway bar and failure, they would have noticed the click was still apparent from the axles, and they would see the result of their work being a sway on acceleration/regen as they knew what the state of the vehicle was when I brought it in and did my original test drive with the lead tech.

It is clear that during my cars time with this service center it has been not only damaged externally but internally over and over again. From carelessness with the body of the car, to mistakes with installation, I am owed a clear explanation as to what will be done to fix this.
when you bring your car in to service they take "intake pictures" of key components of your car, complete exterior, interior (mcu, dash, seats etc.). I would escalate your experience and damaged they caused to the highest management possible (which is a challenge) I got to the Regional Service manager with my issue. He made it right but still covered up for the previous employees he was in charge of. It took a miracle just to get his email after weeks of going through the SC employees, it still took some effort to get him to reply to my email. There are some good SC but I'm uncovering a lot of shady, scandalous, price gouging SC. Please stand up to them. it is not right and unethical what they did.

I have had issues too. My Tesla model s was in an accident when in the care of Tesla’s Fremont California service center but they covered it up! I have not driven my car in 3 years there are all kinds of new parts that are unpainted I found broken glass under the windshield parts are coming off my car my computer does not work and there is 600 miles more on my car than when I dropped it off! Unbelievable Elon musk must hear about all of this! I wish you luck for sure!

I don't know about your service center but when I bring my car to my local one, they walk around the car during check-in and document every single scratch/ding/whatever they find. This is to protect me (and them) from claims that the car was damaged while in service. I am assuming that because they damaged your car, they also repaired said damage right?

As for the other items, I have to ask (and it might be your location) why you wouldn't try a different service center when it became apparent that they were unable/unwilling to fix the issues with your car?
I just realized that Tesla used to do this for me at both the Marietta and Decatur location and now they don't anymore. The loaner they gave me (a Model 3) has scratches and nicks all over it. My wife noticed the rear passenger wheel looks like it had been curbed so badly that the sidewall of the tire is gouged and now part of it is flapping around. Tire is holding air and seems somewhat safe, but what IF Tesla tries to say I did this?
What if Tesla damages my car while in service (it's happened before on my 2nd vehicle and they did a TERRIBLE job repainting the damage that's how I caught them) and it's he said she said? I'm sad to say I think my 2nd Tesla is my last.

Reactions: David.85D
Wow, what a nightmare! Elon needs to step up and take care of his customers. I feel Tesla is only a cash cow for him so he can fund Space-X which is his real passion. As the old adage goes.... Too many cooks spoil the pot!
Why would you come to the conclusion that Elon doesn’t take care of his customers and is just a cash cow, from one experience. ?
That’s a very irrational dramatic conclusion.

I’ve had many visits, and all were great.
So does that mean Elon is only amazing to all customers, and doesn’t try to profit from their service because my experiences were perfect. ?

I think it’s obvious neither is true in all cases.
Less drama, more rational conclusions needed on this forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
It's just my take. Not from one experience. I think he's growing too fast, hence quality control is not where it should be.There also needs to be better phone CS. On the other hand, he's light years ahead of other car manufacturers in terms of tech.
My son owns a model 3. He had issues with fit and finish, but still enjoys the car.

Why would you come to the conclusion that Elon doesn’t take care of his customers and is just a cash cow, from one experience. ?
That’s a very irrational dramatic conclusion.

I’ve had many visits, and all were great.
So does that mean Elon is only amazing to all customers, and doesn’t try to profit from their service because my experiences were perfect. ?

I think it’s obvious neither is true in all cases.
Less drama, more rational conclusions needed on this forum.
Drama? Tesla doesn't even OFFER a customer-facing phone number. ROFL

Reactions: fitnessinstbob
I see you're now in AZ. I was in Durango yesterday after a flight to Phoenix Friday to pick up a car and drive it back here.
I only lived in Colorado for a short time. I lived in California until 2017 when I was diagnosed with leukemia. Decided to buy a house in Arizona since it’s more affordable here and to put money aside in case I need treatment. So far I’m treatment free, but my doctor said maybe next year.
I remember around 1978 Durango only had about 10,000 population. I’m sure it’s probably tripled by now.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
It's just my take. Not from one experience. I think he's growing too fast, hence quality control is not where it should be.There also needs to be better phone CS. On the other hand, he's light years ahead of other car manufacturers in terms of tech.
My son owns a model 3. He had issues with fit and finish, but still enjoys the car.
What specific technology is Tesla “light years” ahead on exactly?

In the long run, Tesla service centers will affect everyone. In 4 years i only had a good experience with mobile service. I'm in NY and every time I had to go in to a Service Center turned out to be a bad experience. I have to go to a Service center in NJ for a decent treatment. Kind of sad.

when you bring your car in to service they take "intake pictures" of key components of your car, complete exterior, interior (mcu, dash, seats etc.). I would escalate your experience and damaged they caused to the highest management possible (which is a challenge) I got to the Regional Service manager with my issue. He made it right but still covered up for the previous employees he was in charge of. It took a miracle just to get his email after weeks of going through the SC employees, it still took some effort to get him to reply to my email. There are some good SC but I'm uncovering a lot of shady, scandalous, price gouging SC. Please stand up to them. it is not right and unethical what they did.
How would one find the name/contact info for the Regional manager?