Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage from tire rotation, Tesla's fault!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Tesla mobile service came to rotate my tires. I see the trim is damaged. Not sure how to fix it, if Tesla will fix it and not sure if the battery is damaged...

Very upsetting because I paid 2-4x normal tire rotation price to avoid risk of damage. But the tech didn't use jack pads and just balanced it all on the middle of the car to save time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-232844.png
    Screenshot_20200201-232844.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 307
It's one thing to not use jack pads, but another entirely to disregard Tesla's jacking instructions and use the middle of the pack. There are only 4 points this car can be lifted from.

In the future, get the pucks and use discount tire (or other). Ask them to jack up the car on the pads.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
This is why I do my own work, at least as much as I reasonably can. Even the "pros" will try to take shortcuts.

They all absolutely have to take shortcuts due to their pay structure. They try to take the shortcuts that you can’t see or prove. It’s that way at every dealer, which is why dealers do some of the worst repair work and often charge for things they don’t do like brake fluid changes. You’ll only know they didn’t do it if you change the brake fluid right afterwards and they know you won’t or you wouldn’t have paid them to do it in the first place. And you’ll never pin a brake system failure on them years down the road.

It’s a very bad system that promotes bad behavior for increased profits. If you don’t do your own work, you’re getting scammed guaranteed. Lots of youtube videos of undercover cameras proving it happens all the time.

Plus there is absolutely no checks and balances. No independent inspectors to review work in progress and most make sure you aren’t able to confirm what they are and aren’t doing even if you know what you’re doing.

• Funny
Reactions: Char
May want to report it to Tesla, because the tech will probably do it to others as well until they're stopped.
Agree with reporting it so the tech can be educated to the proper jack technique, or admonished for his shoddy work. It costs the company money to fix technician errors.

IMO, if one has access to a trusted tire and alignment shop (that has worked on Tesla cars) then that’s where alignments and rotations should be performed.

Forget Tesla for now. They’re just getting up to speed on service quality, whereas established shops have years, if not decades of experience.

Agree with reporting it so the tech can be educated to the proper jack technique, or admonished for his shoddy work. It costs the company money to fix technician errors.

IMO, if one has access to a trusted tire and alignment shop (that has worked on Tesla cars) then that’s where alignments and rotations should be performed.

Forget Tesla for now. They’re just getting up to speed on service quality, whereas established shops have years, if not decades of experience.

Agreed, the last tech that came to the house was a newbie from an Audi dealer...

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155

I want to add that you still have to follow the manual. My discount tire said they work on Teslas all the time, but they wanted to use crossbar lifts. I absolutely believe them, but they have been doing it wrong. I showed them the manual and they brought out floor jacks.

It's not a big deal for them, but you've got to specify (and bring pucks).

They’re just getting up to speed on service quality, whereas established shops have years, if not decades of experience.

Do you mean service quality like the Nissan dealer who left his stethoscope sitting on the valve cover?

or the Ford dealer who forgot to tighten the lug nuts on my left rear wheel?

Time in business has zero correlation with service quality.