Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage from tire rotation, Tesla's fault!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, service techs do it all the time, just like in the OP. No thanks. I've also seen posted photos where Tesla mobile jack the car up like foot in the front so that the rear is intentionally high and do tire rotation front to back. Again, no thanks.

If I use the lift points, for suspension work, I use two jacks.
Pretty sure a lot of forum members on here (including me) have done this... again, no issues. You can do this w/ any car, especially this one, because it's so insanely stiff. I think it's far riskier to do what you're doing on the suspension components vs. the points that were designed to bear the load. On the TM3 they're integral to the battery pack frame. On my BMW, they're square pucks on the chassis. Either way... zero problems, ever.

If there were such a qualifier, you can rest assured that Tesla would've included it in the manual, as it's the most common way to interpret the included diagram. They include warnings for far more trivial crap. What's your specific concern?

If I use the lift points, for suspension work, I use two jacks.

Like so - makes it really easy. I realize the TM3's body is stiff enough to jack up both wheels at the same time from the front OR rear jack point, but I don't like it in practice.
20191110_170557.jpg

Reactions: mswlogo
Like so - makes it really easy. I realize the TM3's body is stiff enough to jack up both wheels at the same time from the front OR rear jack point, but I don't like it in practice.View attachment 508357

Yup !!! You almost can’t help jack up the whole side when you use either jack point by itself. You essentially are, just that you might not quite clear both wheels in the air.

I would imagine that the torsional stress of lifting one side by one jack point pales in comparison to a 4,100 lbs car entering a corner @ 110 mph...

I never go faster than 85 mph straight. Probably never over 60 mph in a turn (like a ramp).

The suspension is doing 90% of the “flexing” in a turn. And it’s not twisting, it’s both outside or both inside load, not one corner. The way I jack it up it’s like a small 2” speed bump at 1 mph.

Lifting half the car in the air from one corner is way worse. It’s not like the car is gonna break. But unibodies do flex. You can trigger a squeak from a marginal weld. Or maybe stress the glass roof and trigger a crack. Like cracks in the roof never happen.

I’m not here to argue. You’ll find the same argument on every car forum. It’s an endless argument. Jack your own car as you see fit.

I never go faster than 85 mph straight. Probably never over 60 mph in a turn (like a ramp).

The suspension is doing 90% of the “flexing” in a turn. And it’s not twisting, it’s both outside or both inside load, not one corner. The way I jack it up it’s like a small 2” speed bump at 1 mph.

Lifting half the car in the air from one corner is way worse. It’s not like the car is gonna break. But unibodies do flex. You can trigger a squeak from a marginal weld. Or maybe stress the glass roof and trigger a crack. Like cracks in the roof never happen.

I’m not here to argue. You’ll find the same argument on every car forum. It’s an endless argument. Jack your own car as you see fit.
And that's what I'll continue to do.

My problem is that completely unfounded forum FUD, like this, poisons people who are new to cars, as it did me when I was younger, and as I'm sure it does people on here who are totally new to cars - of which we are definitely over-indexed vs. any other car forum since there's a hilarious influx of gadget geeks that have never removed a wheel.