Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage my new Model Y when backing :( what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I pretty badly damaged my new Model Y rear quarter panel while backing :(. Haven't had any incident in the last 10 years and got one just after I got my dream car :( A lapse of attention.

I haven't had much experience with body shop repair. Is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? Either way, what am I looking at in term of cost? If it has to be replaced it'll likely need to be an insurance claim. Not sure how much my premium will jump.

20220327_143148.jpg

The bumper might be ok but the quarter may have to be replaced. Search for a Tesla-approved body shop in your area and make sure your insurance will be able to work with that shop. Some shops will charge you Tesla tax so may need to shop around. My dad's M3 got into an accident recently and it will take 2-3 weeks to repair. MY may take shorter or longer, depending on the availability of MY parts. Premium will jump, most likely, unfortunately.

That doesn't look so bad to me. If it were mine and everything works including the rear door I would just not do anything immediately. Suppose in the not too distant future someone hit you in the same spot and it was their fault. That would be the time to have their insurance company pay for the damage.
If I go this route and change my mind later, is there a period of time after an accident that I must file an insurance claim?

That doesn't look so bad to me. If it were mine and everything works including the rear door I would just not do anything immediately. Suppose in the not too distant future someone hit you in the same spot and it was their fault. That would be the time to have their insurance company pay for the damage.
What a weird comment …… “ wait and see if anyone else whacks it there , then get a free repair ?”

Wow 🤦‍♂️

So I pretty badly damaged my new Model Y rear quarter panel while backing :(. Haven't had any incident in the last 10 years and got one just after I got my dream car :( A lapse of attention.

I haven't had much experience with body shop repair. Is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? Either way, what am I looking at in term of cost? If it has to be replaced it'll likely need to be an insurance claim. Not sure how much my premium will jump.

View attachment 787080
Oof! Sorry to see that. I have some experience with repairs in that area since I got rear-ended last October and my daughter scratched the rear bumper of a friend's MY shortly after that.😩

On our friend's MY, the bumper was replaced by Tesla SC for $850. My rear-end job required a new lift-gate, upper and lower bumpers, one of the quarter panels, and an impact bar underneath the bumper. That repair jab came out to be around $6,500 (covered by other driver's insurance through subrogation). My guess based on your picture is around a $2,000~$3,000 repair job. But that's based on my own experiences though. I see another poster that showed some damage that doesn't look as bad as yours and it's $5,200? So I don't know. Of course, repair costs are probably lower in Minnesota compared to California. I would suggest getting an estimate at a Tesla certified body shop ASAP so you have a real idea on the cost.

Ugh I have Geico. Are they bad to work with? I never had any issue with them before.

For > $5k, did you have to replace the bumper?
Yes they replaced the bumper. The other driver was assigned 100% fault and was insured with Geico. A company of clowns. As of today they are still trying to send me a $3700 check to cover a $5200 repaIr.

I suggest using Tesla insurance if possible as repairs can become controversial with unusual cars.

Reactions: spacedroid
Oof! Sorry to see that. I have some experience with repairs in that area since I got rear-ended last October and my daughter scratched the rear bumper of a friend's MY shortly after that.😩

On our friend's MY, the bumper was replaced by Tesla SC for $850. My rear-end job required a new lift-gate, upper and lower bumpers, one of the quarter panels, and an impact bar underneath the bumper. That repair jab came out to be around $6,500 (covered by other driver's insurance through subrogation). My guess based on your picture is around a $2,000~$3,000 repair job. But that's based on my own experiences though. I see another poster that showed some damage that doesn't look as bad as yours and it's $5,200? So I don't know. Of course, repair costs are probably lower in Minnesota compared to California. I would suggest getting an estimate at a Tesla certified body shop ASAP so you have a real idea on the cost.
I sent the picture to 2 Tesla certified body shops near San Diego (AJ-USA and Amato's in case someone in the area is reading). Amato's quoted me $13k, first availability is 2 months out. AJ said replacing the quarter panel is likely $6k and that doesn't include any work on the bumper, first availability is a month out.

I also got some quotes on Yelp for some local bumper repair shops and they are in the range of $1500 to $2500.

I have a $1k deductible with Geico. If it can be repaired with $1500 then I'm temping to do that to avoid the premium jump. Maybe I need to get more quotes...

I'm used to backing into my parking spot in the apartment garage. The proximity sensor always goes off. So I guess I'm a bit desensitized. This was a different setting. Lots of room. I just didn't see the mailbox column which has color blended into the pavement. :(
Yea, that's how these collisions usually happen.

I sent the picture to 2 Tesla certified body shops near San Diego (AJ-USA and Amato's in case someone in the area is reading). Amato's quoted me $13k, first availability is 2 months out. AJ said replacing the quarter panel is likely $6k and that doesn't include any work on the bumper, first availability is a month out.

I also got some quotes on Yelp for some local bumper repair shops and they are in the range of $1500 to $2500.

I have a $1k deductible with Geico. If it can be repaired with $1500 then I'm temping to do that to avoid the premium jump. Maybe I need to get more quotes...
You need to confirm what type of repair it is on the quarter. Is it a quarter panel replacement or or they gonna pull the dents and reshape/bondo etc etc. Both take time, one is superior and one is not. The low quotes... yea I'd be wary of that. Replacing a rear quarter is not a simple job.

Just a warning--I bought my first Tesla in 2013 and we are now on # 4 (2013 S85,2016 X90, 2019 3, 2021 MYP) Fanboy. But service,bodywork and communication can be an issue--more now than before because of rapid growth, supply chain issues and pandemic related personel problems. Short version--Model X was damaged in a "collision" by someone and we weren't aware of it for a couple of days (night, above front bumper, raining, we didn't drive the car for 2 days, etc.) Strictly small, cosmetic-no sensors,lights, glass, cameras etc. About an 8 inch dent.) Insurance estimate $1900. We left it at a Tesla approved shop on about Feb1,2022 with a 10 day estimate. Finally got it back on March 19th 7 weeks later (($1500 car rental was covered by the insurance also.)

I think the repair shop did what they could to expedite the repair. I talked to Tesla representatives who explained the difficulty with supply chain, shipping and parts issues. If we had known about this in advance we would not have fixed it. Car is back. Excellent repair but I wouldn't do it again.

I've had GEICO for over 40 years and never had any trouble with them getting repairs done. I've also not had them raise rates because of a single accident within a 5 year time period of any others. They've always forgiven ones within that time span.

I think the repair shop did what they could to expedite the repair. I talked to Tesla representatives who explained the difficulty with supply chain, shipping and parts issues. If we had known about this in advance we would not have fixed it. Car is back. Excellent repair but I wouldn't do it again.

Unfortunately Tesla hasn't continued the bi-weekly parts tracking notification for owners with a car in the body shop. I found Tesla disorganization understandable in the early days when they weren't substaintially profitable. But now I find no excuse for poor performance in areas where they are totally in control.

Of course successfully contacting a human being at Tesla to get parts status also took days of effort. This situation is also unacceptable from a highly profitable company like Tesla today. Geico + Tesla is pretty much a nightmare tag team. While Progressive eventually handled my claim well after some initial complaining from me I have now switched to Tesla Insurance in hope to minimize future drama.

In my experience Geico puts all their customers at risk from a lawsuit. I would have filed suit to collect the Geico underpayment from their customer and added a diminished value claim. That suit would have been just under the $10K limit for small claims in my state.

I checked my repairs and I did mistakenly said that mine included a quarter panel. It was actually an assembly just above the bumper. So I was probably wrong on my guess for the repair costs. Seems like quarter panels are really expensive to repair, unfortunately.