Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage on Delivery to hatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - Need some advice. My delivery of my MYLR was cancelled today because during inspection, they discovered damage during delivery. Picture is attached.

They are delaying delivery while they fix it, replacing the entire back hatch. I'm having second thoughts on accepting the delivery of a new car that already has body work. My SA has advised that I'd be put back in the queue and I could get assigned a new VIN in a day, or two months but the experience has been that earlier rather than later.

Would you accept a new car with body work? I'm torn between wanting my car after a long wait and wondering how much it could actually affect and wanting a true new car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Model Y.jpg
    Model Y.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 205
Hi all - Need some advice. My delivery of my MYLR was cancelled today because during inspection, they discovered damage during delivery. Picture is attached.

They are delaying delivery while they fix it, replacing the entire back hatch. I'm having second thoughts on accepting the delivery of a new car that already has body work. My SA has advised that I'd be put back in the queue and I could get assigned a new VIN in a day, or two months but the experience has been that earlier rather than later.

Would you accept a new car with body work? I'm torn between wanting my car after a long wait and wondering how much it could actually affect and wanting a true new car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
You have my vote, from the other thread. Best of luck and let us all know what you decide, and why.

Reactions: Coyote18
This type of damage happens to vehicles in transit or while in a dealer's inventory more than most people know. The dealer is free to repair the damage, does not need to disclose that the vehicle was repaired prior to sale as a new vehicle, one that has never been titled. There are limits such as if the vehicle was damaged in a flood. In that case the vehicle should be considered a total loss and covered by insurance.

The hatch of the Model Y is made of steel (you can test this with any magnet.) The hatch may be able to be repaired using paintless dent repair. Still, you should be happy with the vehicle you purchase so waiting to be matched to another Model Y may be the better option. The person who ultimately receives the damaged Model Y, once the damage has been repaired, will never know about the damaged hatch, they will be happy too.

Reactions: zpaul and Coyote18
The Model Y hatch is flush to the rear bumber cover and the bottom is cut inside,
contraly to most of the cars where the trunk door is few inch away fron the bumber.
The trade off was to have the floor level flat without having a step behind the bumper.

I'm surprise that there was not too many reports of the Model Y damaged hatch back door on this forum.

Unless there is really a more noticeable structural damage,
I think getting a new hatchback door is simpler that waiting for getting a new car.

Last edited:
Reactions: zpaul and Coyote18
Is the concern about function of the hatch or diminished value? If the hatch replacement was due to misalignment or other manufacturing defect, I'd be more concerned than a dent that apparently occurred in transit. As for diminished value, the replacement won't show up on a CarFax so not so much an issue IMO.

Reactions: Coyote18
Is the concern about function of the hatch or diminished value? If the hatch replacement was due to misalignment or other manufacturing defect, I'd be more concerned than a dent that apparently occurred in transit. As for diminished value, the replacement won't show up on a CarFax so not so much an issue IMO.
The concern is somewhere between diminished value and the worry that this will lead to more issues. I tend to want to just take delivery following the repair, but am having some doubts so thought I'd run it by this group.

Refuse, not worth the hassle of a repainted car as there is a risk of it not color matching or coming out worse. Even if they replace with a new hatch, the paint work might not be as good as the factory.
I think the main concern is, from Tesla web site, that a new delivery time estimate for a Model Y LR is February 2022, versus having the current car been hold for few days at a body shop.

If timing is not an issue, getting a new replacement car will be a better peace of mind, but if you really need a car right now, what would you do?

Last edited:
Hatch dents very easily. Here is mine after a 3mph bump into a Honda. Honda was fine.

Full new hatch required and a bruise to my ego.

I vote take the car if the repair looks good and enjoy it. This is not a Ferrari or another collectible. It is a commuter vehicle, albeit an expensive one.

Attachments

• BD343623-FD41-46FD-B076-79AA6C4620AC.jpeg
    BD343623-FD41-46FD-B076-79AA6C4620AC.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 150
I would see what it looks like after repair. It is proven that Tesla’s paint jobs aren’t the best so aftermarket/body shop paint might actually be better. There will be no diminished value as it won’t show up on a car report. If you don’t take it, Tesla will fix it, and someone else will take it. Dealers fix new vehicles all the time that are damaged in transit. It just happens.

My delivery was today and got a call with same information that it is damaged with dent and hatchback needs to be replaced and painted. I was given the same options repair (4 weeks) or they will put back in queue. I am curious to know what option did you decide on your issue?

Take the car, they more then likely will simply replace the hatch for a new one, because that is way cheaper for a manufacturer then getting it to a bodyshop to fix the dent. It won’t be documented either, so not hurting the value of your car.

My delivery was today and got a call with same information that it is damaged with dent and hatchback needs to be replaced and painted. I was given the same options repair (4 weeks) or they will put back in queue. I am curious to know what option did you decide on your issue?
Go back and wait for another due to color potentially not mag hung after repaint.