Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage repair progress -- doesn't get any better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Criswell Collision Repairs Center, a Tesla authorized shop in Annapolis, MD, is doing the structural repairs to my Model S. I was rear-ended at a stop light by a woman on her phone. As Criswell provides frequent progress reports with photos as the repairs move forward, I thought this was so exceptional that it merited a separate thread. Criswell sends me emails and texts every two or three days, always with a projected delivery/completion date, so there is never an doubt about where the repairs stand. The photos are far from the best, but the details don't matter to me when I know that major progress on the repairs is being made.

I never seen this kind of progress report from an auto body shop before but happily I don't have that much experience with body shops. But I don't think this is the norm.

It all starts with an overview page:

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-08%20at%202.06.36%20PM.jpg

The page is updated with new photos as major repair steps are completed:

ResizeImage-1.ashx.jpeg

ResizeImage-2.ashx.jpeg

ResizeImage-3.ashx.jpeg

ResizeImage-4.ashx.jpeg

ResizeImage-5.ashx.jpeg

I never seen this kind of progress report from an auto body shop before but happily I don't have that much experience with body shops. But I don't think this is the norm.

This is Tesla's opportunity to make it the norm and dramatically improve its own reputation in repairs (make it part of qualifying as an authorized repair facility). Low hanging fruit with a big bang for the buck. Tesla just needs to be confident it can meet the demand for replacement parts, and this could be a good way for Tesla to hold itself accountable for timely deliveries.

@artsci - thanks for sharing!

Impressive, artsci, impressive. I wonder if the software/web interface your body shop is using is custom or available to all/other shops for their own customer service purposes.

Impressive, artsci, impressive. I wonder if the software/web interface your body shop is using is custom or available to all/other shops for their own customer service purposes.

Business owners often times fail to understand the importance of follow-up with their customers. No news is not good news when you're waiting. At least they're keeping you in the loop on the progress being made.

I'm going to ask them what software/web interface they use for this -- and praise them for doing it at the same time.

Latest report image -- they're making real progress -- starting to look like the car I love:)

ResizeImage-6.ashx.jpeg

I also PM'd JonMc suggesting that he make such reporting a requirement for all Tesla authorized body shops.

Now THAT, is a great idea. Probably the best idea that I have seen on TMC in a long time. And it would be great for the body shop to also include sending the same info to Tesla. Tesla would have advanced or immediate notice if progress was not going forward for the customer. At least requiring the body shop to also inform Tesla for a while would go a long ways to establishing this as a raising the bar standard.

Vice grip jig, that's interesting!

Probably holding the piece in place while welding or gluing.

The panel is being held in place with individual vice grips for both reasons. Its glued and spot welded at the corners as seen in pic. But the silver tube below is a frame alignment laser head. This hold a reference to both the frame rail and vehicle centerline whilst on the frame rack.

Called Criswell today to express my appreciation for the email progress reports -- no good deeds should go unrewarded. The women who answered the phone told me she was the person responsible for the updates, but she does it only for Tesla's. Every day she takes photos of the work on each Tesla in the shop and then sends the emails to the owners. This is an opt-in service. I told her that I couldn't be more grateful for her work.

...I never seen this kind of progress report from an auto body shop before but happily I don't have that much experience with body shops.

Very very cool - my guess is this shop must be using some body shop management software that gives the manager an easy to use "progress inspection" app on a phone/tablet and s/he can periodically just punch in your name, it brings up your case and they can snap some pictures and add to the record - it is awesome. Probably inexpensive too and would be nice if more body shops used software like this. I have a TON of experience with high end body shops in California and no - none of them have ever used anything this sophisticated. This is a first. Wish they all did - would save a ton of frustrating phone calls and emails.

Very very cool - my guess is this shop must be using some body shop management software.

Strangely enough. The automotive repair industry has dozens of third party apps for quotes/additional repairs. Some manufactures have started to intergrate this system into their dealer management systems. You would think the body repair side of things would have evolved at the same pace

Reactions: calisnow
I have about a 15 inch long deep scratch in upper left rear quarter panel. My damage (from when I was at an industrial park kind of place) happened when I was backing up and turning around a trailer and couldn't see their hitch -- it got me in my blind spot.

I just visited Criswell Collision today -- really nice facility. I'm going to use them. They came in about 1K cheaper (1.9K total) on their estimate than Severn Auto Body (3K). I emailed Euro Pro and they are on vacation -- sorry, you lose ;). Criswell can get me in in about a week and will take about a week to complete the job. I could see a Tesla in one of the bays as I stood at the front desk... so that's already encouraging.

I didn't realize they have to "blend" the quarter panel with the door (which was undamaged) and will have to remove rear tail light and charge port.... hence the need for a Tesla Certified Shop. It all seems a little excessive to me, but... what are you going to do ;) :). I think this is the best deal I'll find which will also give peace of mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20170809_213759.jpg
    IMG_20170809_213759.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20170809_213828.jpg
    IMG_20170809_213828.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20170809_213844.jpg
    IMG_20170809_213844.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 85