Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage repair progress -- doesn't get any better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We hear you. The more I tinker with my S'(s), I have come to realize that such a short history of having built vehicles is starting to show. It seems to me that someone, as in this case a manufacturer, that does not have generations of vehicle design under their belt, and has not spent years maintaining or repairing broken or damaged cars/trucks, has not learned the differences of when the smallest of design changes can offset extra time and frustration restoring it to 100%.

We hear you. The more I tinker with my S'(s), I have come to realize that such a short history of having built vehicles is starting to show. It seems to me that someone, as in this case a manufacturer, that does not have generations of vehicle design under their belt, and has not spent years maintaining or repairing broken or damaged cars/trucks, has not learned the differences of when the smallest of design changes can offset extra time and frustration restoring it to 100%.

Based on what I've been told by folks in Tesla service they've worked very hard to make the Model 3 much easier to work on and repair by simplifying connectors, wiring, trim, and all manner of parts. So does appear that they've learned from their mistakes.

At long last I may have my car back by the end of this week. Met this am with the SDR tech who's doing all of the wiring to explain all of the connections for the lighted rear applique and lighted rear T and other mods I've made.

Here's where she stands as of this am. There are bundles of wires that have to be routed and connected -- a real mess.

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

Reactions: Akikiki
I regret having given this thread the title I did. In fact it couldn't be worse. 3 and 1/2 months later I am still without my car. Look at the wiring spaghetti in the photos in the previous post. That's the way Criswell (an authorized Tesla body shop) left the car when they did the structural repairs and sent it back to SDR for completion of the cosmetic work. There were no labels on the wiring and no documentation for how they should be reconnected. So SDR was left with a mystery to untangle and it's taken them more than two weeks and counting. It's all trial and error. Tesla may be trying to improve the way things are done by authorized shops, but based on my experience these initiatives have amounted to nothing. The body shop team that's worked with me has been very friendly but they have no power whatsoever over the shops. None. Criswell should be soundly reprimanded by Tesla for leaving my car in this condition for SDR, but that will never happen. There's no regard whatsoever for we owners and I'm not happy about it. IMHO, the body shop teams are just PR and nothing more.

Last edited:
I regret having given this thread the title I did. In fact it couldn't be worse. 3 and 1/2 months later I am still without my car. Look at the wiring spaghetti in the photos in the previous post. That's the way Criswell (an authorized Tesla body shop) left the car when they did the structural repairs and sent it back to SDR for completion of the cosmetic work. There were no labels on the wiring and no documentation for how they should be reconnected. So SDR was left with a mystery to untangle and it's taken them more than two weeks and counting. It's all trial and error. Tesla may be trying to improve the way things are done by authorized shops, but based on my experience these initiatives have amounted to nothing. The body shop team that's worked with me has been very friendly but they have no power whatsoever over the shops. None. Criswell should be soundly reprimanded by Tesla for leaving my car in this condition for SDR, but that will never happen. There's no regard whatsoever for we owners and I'm not happy about it. IMHO, the body shop teams are just PR and nothing more.
Very sad......

I saw your car there when I inspected the wiring. Hope it goes better for you. Were you also trying to get the facelift bumper?

Looks like I’ll get the car back today. It will be missing the black plastic trim panels on the underside of the lift gate (a supply problem with Tesla) and Tesla sent the wrong bumper (more sensor holes) but we’re going to fill the extra holes with blanks. Only possible hold up is approval of the insurance supplement. So I may be celebrating this weekend:)

Just read this all today prompted by your latest update. So sorry to hear Ric. Hope all goes well.

Has @JonMc been kept in the loop as things went awry? Looks like lots of learnings to be had here and although Model 3 appears to be addressing a bunch of the design considerations, there is much to be learnt by the body shop program team.

I also PM'd JonMc suggesting that he make such reporting a requirement for all Tesla authorized body shops.

The problem with this as policy is that increases shop costs, overhead, and may keep some great bodywork shops that aren't so web aware from doing Teslas.

Sure, it's a great differentiator for a shop to compete when there are 5 shops in town. But we aren't there yet. I'd hate to see a requirement keep a high quality shop from being certified.

It did make me think though... since all parts are comping from Tesla. And Tesla has a web interface for all Tesla owners attached to the VIN of the car. They are in a unique place as far as manufactures go... Does Tesla track parts through the My Tesla page? You would quickly find the bottleneck when you see no parts ordered on your page. Or you see the parts ordered a month ago and Tesla hasn't shipped it yet.

Here’s the latest. My car was ready to pick up today but USAA had not approved the insurance claim supplement, which was submitted to them 30 days ago. The claims adjuster was quarreling with SDR over the cost and didn’t seem to understand that there were no less expensive options and that State Farm, not them would be paying the bill. So I called USAA and read them the riot act, which resulted in immediate approval of the supplment claim. But it did me little good as SDR was closed by the time all of this played out. So I won’t see my car until Monday.

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into this right away.

FYI, I was mistaken about what Criswell did to the wiring. Actually SDR, when they installed the new lift gate, bundled and documented all of the wiring. When I saw my car and took the photos the SDR tech was in the process of unbundling all of the wiring and beginning to make the connections. I aoloigize for providing misleading information — Criswell was not to blame.