Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage repair progress -- doesn't get any worse, and Tesla is at fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the last posts on this thread. What started out as a good story ended up being a total Tesla screw-up. Nothing has changed, at least IMHO, on the body shop front. Jon has formed teams to assist but they haven't seemed to have any impact in my case. What controls have been put on the parts department to ensure they ship the correct parts? Apparently none. The same mistake with Criswell has been made a multitudes of times.

I have a photograph of the wrong partTesla shipped and other documentation of the mistake. I've been accused of being a Tesla fanboy, but not this time.

I agree. Tesla has been slacking.

My brand new car I picked up had some issues. They had to replace the front bumper. They sent the wrong one out the first time. Sent another one finally painted. Now the other parts that they got are wrong.

2 months ago i took delivery. Drove it for 2 days and it's been in the svc.

I have been in a loaner. It's ridiculous.

The part in question has still not been delivered to the repair shop. If the part was in stock they would have had it by now. So I think the assumption that Tesla doesn't have the part is probably correct. This is a profoundly troubling situation, so bad I'm thinking of canceling my Model 3 reservation.

The only way Tesla is ever going to learn is if sales start to decline because of it... Sadly though, once that happens the damage is likely to have already been done and may be impossible to reverse... It's frustrating though to see something so simple to accomplish, be so difficult to execute...

Jeff

Been waiting almost 8 weeks for parts. Sad thing is the body shop was invoiced for the parts 6 weeks ago and still no show...This level of service is terrible!!!! Luckily; I was able to dump my stock when it spiked this past week, I love my car; but Tesla is a bad stock to own. A car company that can't provide parts in a timely manner will cease to exist. If they won't scale up in this area of the market as well; we are all doomed as owners.

See the last posts on this thread. What started out as a good story ended up being a total Tesla screw-up. Nothing has changed, at least IMHO, on the body shop front. Jon has formed teams to assist but they haven't seemed to have any impact in my case. What controls have been put on the parts department to ensure they ship the correct parts? Apparently none. The same mistake with Criswell has been made a multitudes of times.

Man, that sucks bro. Sorry to hear. I was hoping yours would be a better story, and that the crap i went through was behind us. I have a friend who had a dent in the quarterpanel that couldn't be fixed with pdr, and its been in the shop for 2 months now. My wife's Mercedes GLE got rear ended and needed new bumper and liftgate, it was fixed in 5 business days.

This is really sad to hear it's still like this, especially as a frikking shareholder. It's one thing if we were seeing tangible improvement, but so far it doesn't appear so. If they don't get their act together, this is going to hurt when the thousands of 3s start coming off the line.

Wishing your car a speedy recovery man.

Reactions: hpartsch
Man, that sucks bro. Sorry to hear. I was hoping yours would be a better story, and that the crap i went through was behind us. I have a friend who had a dent in the quarterpanel that couldn't be fixed with pdr, and its been in the shop for 2 months now. My wife's Mercedes GLE got rear ended and needed new bumper and liftgate, it was fixed in 5 business days.

This is really sad to hear it's still like this, especially as a frikking shareholder. It's one thing if we were seeing tangible improvement, but so far it doesn't appear so. If they don't get their act together, this is going to hurt when the thousands of 3s start coming off the line.

Wishing your car a speedy recovery man.

Thanks @tchockie. I'm a shareholder as well and this kind of thing should concern us all. I bought my car in 2013 when this might have been ok as Tesla was kind of a start up. But four years later they haven't seem to have learned a thing.

The latest from the Body Shop team:

"I do apologize about the delay. The parts team is currently working on the part and making sure we get the correct part sent out to the body shop. I will status you as soon as I get any information from them."

The parts team is "working on the part?" A part is a part, it has a number, and there's not mystery about it. What are they working on?

Reactions: 1 person
I can top all this! I bought my P85D with some damage on the front bumper that required Tesla to replace it. When they did, they ordered a non-AP bumper cover, had it painted and then put it on my car before anyone realized the part was wrong.

I'm now on week two of the body shop waiting on them to send a replacement fender for my accident repair. If the car wasn't drivable this would have been a less than ideal situation to put it lightly.

I'm no less in love with Tesla but I'll repeat the same message I've repeated for about a year now... The process is broken. Be it accident repair, the delivery experience, service giving people cars back with more problems than they came in with, etc. This is one area where Tesla would do themselves a huge service to poach an experience process manager from a legacy auto manufacturer. There doesn't need to be innovation here. For now they just need to be as good as everyone else and they're just nowhere near meeting that mark if anecdotal evidence is anything to be believed.

That said, thankfully the cars seem to have substantially fewer issues now than they used to. My P85D has been a dream compared to my 2013.

I can top all this!

Not sure how that in any way "tops" what a lot of us have gone through, bro. Try waiting 7 months for repair for getting rear ended the day after delivery, and getting told "it'll be done in 2 weeks" every week for 10 weeks. Artsci isn't going to see his car for another month (sorry man, it's just a gut feeling lol. I hope I'm wrong!).

Yea that sucks waiting for a just a stupid bumper for their mistake. But your car is driveable? Please. Artsci is in a mother effing FORD FIESTA! I had it a little better with a lincoln mkz. But man I would have given up sex for a year to have a driveable car. Ok maybe not a year, but you get the point!

Been waiting almost 8 weeks for parts. Sad thing is the body shop was invoiced for the parts 6 weeks ago and still no show...This level of service is terrible!!!! Luckily; I was able to dump my stock when it spiked this past week, I love my car; but Tesla is a bad stock to own. A car company that can't provide parts in a timely manner will cease to exist. If they won't scale up in this area of the market as well; we are all doomed as owners.

Seriously... someone needs to tweet / email Elon about this!! I bet he would bust some heads and make stuff roll... depending on the real root of the issue. I mean it's not just 1 person's body-work... it's the many-owner multi-month/week parts issue across the board that must be fixed!

Now I can really see the "parts nightmare" of "continuous change". Ok so they have some complex database w/ all parts tracked (hopefully)... BUT... how do you keep the right number in stock, for all the rare variations... you don't! And then when you need some uncommon part from a few years back (or even a common part from enough years back) then you can't materialize it fast enough -- no easy way to solve.

They need to sit their geniuses down and fix this... maybe the traditional model-year carmakers are right about this one -- it could greatly simplify the parts issues.

I have to say the Body Shop support team delivered on their promises. They worked with the parts department to find the right part and get it shipped overnight to the body shop. So why Tesla was at fault for sending the wrong part they correct the error and got the right part to the body shop.

So it got delivered? Has it been confirmed as the correct part?

This is the single most scary part about buying a Tesla. Getting into a fender bender, and you are stuck in a ICE for god knows how long while you make thousand dollar payments every month.

Reactions: mal_tsla
scary to think what will happen when the 500K model 3's hit the road....this was one of my concerns about buying my model S and it seems as though it is a real concern...this is a car company that was founded in 2003 ....i think Tesla has had enough time to figure out the parts and repair process.....same issues will apply to battery and solar business....if they don't fix they will crush under there own weight of success

scary to think what will happen when the 500K model 3's hit the road....this was one of my concerns about buying my model S and it seems as though it is a real concern...this is a car company that was founded in 2003 ....i think Tesla has had enough time to figure out the parts and repair process.....same issues will apply to battery and solar business....if they don't fix they will crush under there own weight of success

It shouldn't be as big of a problem with the Model 3. I think part of the issue with the Model S is that they have made a lot of changes over the years so there are a lot of different versions of the same part as they made improvements, cost savings, etc.

Hopefully they won't need to make as many changes for the Model 3 and there can be pretty much one version of the body panels.