Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage repair progress -- doesn't get any worse, and Tesla is at fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now 3 weeks in waiting for Tesla to even get a loaner battery for my P85 so they can fix the actual battery. Granted, I've got a P100D loaner car, so I'm certainly not suffering! Yes, they found me a P100D car to borrow, but can't find a P85 battery after 3 weeks.

Service has done their job finding me the P100D, my SC has nearly always been great, but the fact that after 5 years of Model S production Tesla still hasn't figured out how to support their cars with proper parts production makes me incredibly leery of buying another Tesla.

Not sure how that in any way "tops" what a lot of us have gone through, bro. Try waiting 7 months for repair for getting rear ended the day after delivery, and getting told "it'll be done in 2 weeks" every week for 10 weeks. Artsci isn't going to see his car for another month (sorry man, it's just a gut feeling lol. I hope I'm wrong!).

Yea that sucks waiting for a just a stupid bumper for their mistake. But your car is driveable? Please. Artsci is in a mother effing FORD FIESTA! I had it a little better with a lincoln mkz. But man I would have given up sex for a year to have a driveable car. Ok maybe not a year, but you get the point!

I was more referencing Tesla's inability to order the correct part, notice that they received the incorrect part, had the incorrect part painted and still not notice that it was the incorrect part until they put it on the car. Not so much my inconvenience which yes, was minimal.

Reactions: tchockie
Not the case.
I can't tell whether you know for a fact that Tesla screwed up or whether that was just what the shop told you. It's certainly possible that Tesla sent what was requested.

Not the case. The shop sent photos of the wrong part and Tesla acknowledged that they had shipped the wrong part. But the correct part arrived at the shop today and work is proceeding apace.

When my headliner had to be replaced due to pano leaks the sc had issues with a mislabeled part from Fremont and didn't realize until after they had installed the new one that it was cut out for an AP car while my car was pre AP. They then had to go through the labor again on their end and cost to have the replacement part expedited. One would hope that Tesla would improve QC to avoid such costly mistakes.

This story gets more interesting by the moment -- just got this message from the body shop (Criswell in Annapolis, MD) doing the structural repairs:

We received the undamaged rear body panel in today! When we received it in today, we noticed it looked like the one we received the other day. Not even 20 minutes after receiving it, we got a call from the Regional Body Shop Manager for Tesla. He informed us that they now only make the one style, and that we would have to make adjustments to make the rear body panel trim fit. There is no bulletin of any kind to support this or give us guidance on retrofitting. Tesla parts did not inform us when we brought this issue up.

Our tech is fully aware and is actively working on the car. I have contacted SDR to revise the scope of the work they want us to do. We will be putting the panel on, and caulking the vehicle. We will also spray bomb with a green e-coat but will not be cutting it in fully. This will get your car to SDR faster. They will take care of the painting and adding of sound deadeners (will be supplied in the car.) There are wait times with the glues and caulk. My tech feels comfortable with releasing the car late Monday or Tuesday afternoon. Depends on how far he can get and drying times.

I have updated the Body Shop team at Tesla letting them know SDR is retrofitting the trim panel and should have your car by Tuesday night.

SDR is the local shop that will paint the repaired sections do all of the other cosmetic and other work necessary for me to get my car back.

So it appears that what several posters have suggested (changes in the body part details) was my problem from the get go. But Tesla failed to communicate that to Criswell.

I had some delays during repair of my car, too. It was another low speed accident where I was rear ended. I was told there was a parts delay, and some suggestion that it might have been due to an incorrect part arriving at the body shop, but the shop I was dealing with wasn't nearly as communicative as yours. I'm now wondering if what you're going through is the cause of my repair taking much longer than expected.

This story gets more interesting by the moment -- just got this message from the body shop (Criswell in Annapolis, MD) doing the structural repairs:

We received the undamaged rear body panel in today! When we received it in today, we noticed it looked like the one we received the other day. Not even 20 minutes after receiving it, we got a call from the Regional Body Shop Manager for Tesla. He informed us that they now only make the one style, and that we would have to make adjustments to make the rear body panel trim fit. There is no bulletin of any kind to support this or give us guidance on retrofitting. Tesla parts did not inform us when we brought this issue up.

Our tech is fully aware and is actively working on the car. I have contacted SDR to revise the scope of the work they want us to do. We will be putting the panel on, and caulking the vehicle. We will also spray bomb with a green e-coat but will not be cutting it in fully. This will get your car to SDR faster. They will take care of the painting and adding of sound deadeners (will be supplied in the car.) There are wait times with the glues and caulk. My tech feels comfortable with releasing the car late Monday or Tuesday afternoon. Depends on how far he can get and drying times.

I have updated the Body Shop team at Tesla letting them know SDR is retrofitting the trim panel and should have your car by Tuesday night.

SDR is the local shop that will paint the repaired sections do all of the other cosmetic and other work necessary for me to get my car back.

So it appears that what several posters have suggested (changes in the body part details) was my problem from the get go. But Tesla failed to communicate that to Criswell.

Wow!!! So are you saying a whole body panel needs to be modified or some small trim piece? Caulking?? Doesn't sound like anything in the scope of what I would want in a repair if the fitment isn't right for a panel. This story seriously makes me sad to think they don't have these legacy parts available to make the repair process much smoother for owners. Glad to hear though; that the fix in in queue though and in the hands of the people who actually want to fix it for you.

Reactions: hpartsch
Wow!!! So are you saying a whole body panel needs to be modified or some small trim piece? Caulking?? Doesn't sound like anything in the scope of what I would want in a repair if the fitment isn't right for a panel. This story seriously makes me sad to think they don't have these legacy parts available to make the repair process much smoother for owners. Glad to hear though; that the fix in in queue though and in the hands of the people who actually want to fix it for you.

From what I understand the part in question requires modifications to the mounting points for the plastic sill trim. They're probably some holes for the plastic clips that hold the trim in place. I trust Criswell and SDR to get it right. Remember SDR are the folks who helped me with the upgrade of my car from a nosecone to a facelift bumper, which required custom work and innovative skill.