TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Damage to cover underneath car

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by AndrewNSW, Jan 8, 2016.

1. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

Has anybody had any damage to that plastic shield / cover underneath. I've just noticed towards the front drivers side it's hanging down. I thought maybe a big puddle or something may have done it but the hanging part is actually facing the rear of the car and I would have assumed hitting something while driving forward would cause it to hang towards the front. Anyway I'm going to stop in at the service centre on Mon to get them to check it out...

2. ZTrekus

ZTrekus Member

Do do you mean the square plastic thing at the bottom rear of the car that looks like chrome?

if so, I have damaged mine too and they are ordering me a new part, due soon.

3. TesAus

TesAus Member

I assume you are talking about the cover that sits just behind the front skirt and goes the full width of the car in front of the front wheels? I managed to half rip it off after a few weeks of ownership by parking over one of those concrete stop block things in a car park. In my defence it was a stop block on steroids and would have damaged anything less than an SUV. I now always set the air suspension to very high when parking over those things!

I took it in to the service centre and they were able to re fix it using some new clips for no charge.

4. paulp

paulp Member

You might want to be carefull set on very high parking over those. Sometimes the suspension decides to adjust itself when you are not there to try and level the car (its a feature!!). If you are parked slightly up-hill at the front, it will lower the front as the back is already right up. When you leave you then scrape the wheelstop or kerb.

5. TesAus

TesAus Member

Thanks for the tip Paulp. I have generally only come across the stop blocks in level car parks to date, but will keep that in mind.

6. AndrewNSW

AndrewNSW Member

I actually just realised it's similar on the passengers side - it's where it goes around the wheel area. The drivers side is hanging a bit lower than the passengers so it probably did touch something but I'm guessing it's just doing its job - possibly designed to channel water up and out each wheel side if hitting a large puddle than it building up under the car... I think it should come right by itself...

7. 360C

360C Member

If you ever have occasion to jack your car up or take it to somebody who will, be careful to use the correct jacking points or you can damage the protective undertray. This is especially true if you or they use trolley jacks with a large contact pad.
    My wife has managed to curb 3 wheels in as many months and I have had to get them repaired. I have 2 spares and can rotate them with the damaged wheel while it is repaired. I noticed the potential for undertray damage the first time I jacked the car up.

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I have a narrow wood block to fit onto the trolley jack to keep load on the jacking point. The block is slightly hollowed to stop it slipping off the jack platform.

9. 360C

360C Member

I do the same thing; but many workshops will just whack a trolley jack underneath and start pumping.

10. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Had this happen with tragic result. At some point we lost a few clips fastening the front apron and it would drop a bit (opening facing rear). One day my wife called me telling me she was hung up on a curb in a parking lot. Raising air suspension wouldn't clear it. I tried to have her reverse off while I gave the front end (which is heavy as it turns out) some lift but instead the front bumper cover sheared from several of its anchor points and caused a few thousand dollars damage! My advice is replace any clips that fall out, watch out for curbs and if you get caught like this, use a set of ramps or call for a tow!