Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage to passenger seat- need replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y 2021- On a really hot day I found a bubble in my passenger seat, I tried to wipe it/cool it down and it now has a hole. Tesla service said they need to replace the whole seat $2100! Not covered.. I’m searching for just the bottom portion of the passenger seat or if anyone had their interior upgrade if they would sell me just the passenger so that I can have it repaired.. Appreciate any help or ideas!

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up
eBay is where I would look first. If you want something local, I would start by calling local body shops. Start with the Tesla approved ones first. They may have the part for you or can keep an eye out for one.

If you didn't want to do any of that, there are third party seat covers that go over the seats and others that replace the OEM seat material completely. Both are less than $2100.

tesla denying warranty. oh the shock and horror! ;(

sorry that happened. how old was the car? at that level of cost, wonder if it makes sense to escalate and lawyer up.

I hate it when vendors deny warranty. that clearly is a materials issue. tesla is definitely in their 'cheap out and deny customer work' period. the downfall continues.

just go to a auto upholstery place - PM me for a place I used in San Diego, if you need. I had the same issue, sort of BS issue, def due to manufacturing approach, but they refused. Got it done for $300, and it looks identical (and is better resistant to wear/tear) now

Model Y 2021- On a really hot day I found a bubble in my passenger seat, I tried to wipe it/cool it down and it now has a hole. Tesla service said they need to replace the whole seat $2100! Not covered.. I’m searching for just the bottom portion of the passenger seat or if anyone had their interior upgrade if they would sell me just the passenger so that I can have it repaired.. Appreciate any help or ideas!
I am surprised the Service Center would not let you order the booster seat cover, or at least give you the price of this piece?
If there is a Tesla authorised body shop near your place, I imagine that they could order it, or at least give you an estimated cost for the part, and the instalation.
Anyway, even if ordering it was possible, it would take many months to get the part...

If you are handy, you could remove the seat cover and find an auto upholstery who could use it as a model,
but I wonder if the heating elements could be easilly transplanted?

An other option is to get some seat covers of the same material and color.
The issue is they generaly come in a full set because of the air bag opening,
so you might have to get both the left and the right seat.

In fact, having some seat covers might be a good option, to add some softness and protect the seats
especially if you have passengers who typically put their phone in the back pocket of their pants.

when i was told by tesla sc that NOTHING on the seat is covered under the "B2B" warranty, I was asking about the driver side seat bottom since the previous owner must of weight 500 lbs and slid out of the car each time. They crushed the seat bolster so I wanted Tesla to replace.

They quoted me $570 to replace the bottom seat bolster (which I rejected) so its definietly possible to replace that. It comes pre-wrapped with the vinyl and has the seat heater and all already in there. Actually not a horrible price considering ... jump on the parts catalog and get your part number then find it on ebay. Plenty of dismantlers sell those, you can prob find a cheap used 1.

or yeah like everyone has already said just have a interior shop recover it. Its pretty easy to remove the bottom seat cushion. Its pretty easy to remove just about anything on this car, its built like a kids toy lol.

just go to a auto upholstery place - PM me for a place I used in San Diego, if you need. I had the same issue, sort of BS issue, def due to manufacturing approach, but they refused. Got it done for $300, and it looks identical (and is better resistant to wear/tear) now
Hello,
Can you please share the name/contact details? I am planning to buy a Model Y and I have some back issues so I may need to get the OEM seat altered or removed and get a custom one that fits my back.

Hey, could you provide this shops info in SD right now actually

The front passenger seat bottom not replaceable, but the driver’s side is. After speaking with a few different SC they all say about the same. This is their response, and I’m not entirely sure if I believe it. They say that there is an occupant sensor under the cover that is tied into the airbag and in replacing that seat bottom it can cause it to malfunction. If that’s the case how the heck are these guys selling upgrade kits? Tesla Model Y Seat Upgrade Interior Kit