Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damage to passenger seat- need replacement

RadtechV

Aug 8, 2021
Long Beach
Model Y 2021- On a really hot day I found a bubble in my passenger seat, I tried to wipe it/cool it down and it now has a hole. Tesla service said they need to replace the whole seat $2100! Not covered.. I’m searching for just the bottom portion of the passenger seat or if anyone had their interior upgrade if they would sell me just the passenger so that I can have it repaired.. Appreciate any help or ideas!

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
eBay is where I would look first. If you want something local, I would start by calling local body shops. Start with the Tesla approved ones first. They may have the part for you or can keep an eye out for one.

If you didn't want to do any of that, there are third party seat covers that go over the seats and others that replace the OEM seat material completely. Both are less than $2100.

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
tesla denying warranty. oh the shock and horror! ;(

sorry that happened. how old was the car? at that level of cost, wonder if it makes sense to escalate and lawyer up.

I hate it when vendors deny warranty. that clearly is a materials issue. tesla is definitely in their 'cheap out and deny customer work' period. the downfall continues.

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
My sc told me Tesla warranty doesn’t cover anything with seats at all. That’s awful.

for $2100 you could prob have the entire interior redone in real perforated leather not vinyl. Hit up a local upholstery shop they can match it and recover for a few hundred bucks

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
My sc told me Tesla warranty doesn’t cover anything with seats at all. That’s awful.
beginning of the end of tesla, as a company that one would LIKE to buy from and work with.

I wont be buying another, no matter how fun the car is. the company is on a downward trend and customers be damned.

• Funny
Reactions: Mike_TV

gaswalla

Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery
Sep 23, 2012
San Diego
just go to a auto upholstery place - PM me for a place I used in San Diego, if you need. I had the same issue, sort of BS issue, def due to manufacturing approach, but they refused. Got it done for $300, and it looks identical (and is better resistant to wear/tear) now

NudleBoy

Sep 9, 2020
Ottawa
You can replace just the bottom seat. It comes apart fairly easy. The body shop oversprayed into my interior and Tesla replaced just the bottom cushion of my passenger side to keep the lumbar support in tact.

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
Model Y 2021- On a really hot day I found a bubble in my passenger seat, I tried to wipe it/cool it down and it now has a hole. Tesla service said they need to replace the whole seat $2100! Not covered.. I’m searching for just the bottom portion of the passenger seat or if anyone had their interior upgrade if they would sell me just the passenger so that I can have it repaired.. Appreciate any help or ideas!
I am surprised the Service Center would not let you order the booster seat cover, or at least give you the price of this piece?
If there is a Tesla authorised body shop near your place, I imagine that they could order it, or at least give you an estimated cost for the part, and the instalation.
Anyway, even if ordering it was possible, it would take many months to get the part...

If you are handy, you could remove the seat cover and find an auto upholstery who could use it as a model,
but I wonder if the heating elements could be easilly transplanted?

An other option is to get some seat covers of the same material and color.
The issue is they generaly come in a full set because of the air bag opening,
so you might have to get both the left and the right seat.

In fact, having some seat covers might be a good option, to add some softness and protect the seats
especially if you have passengers who typically put their phone in the back pocket of their pants.

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
when i was told by tesla sc that NOTHING on the seat is covered under the "B2B" warranty, I was asking about the driver side seat bottom since the previous owner must of weight 500 lbs and slid out of the car each time. They crushed the seat bolster so I wanted Tesla to replace.

They quoted me $570 to replace the bottom seat bolster (which I rejected) so its definietly possible to replace that. It comes pre-wrapped with the vinyl and has the seat heater and all already in there. Actually not a horrible price considering ... jump on the parts catalog and get your part number then find it on ebay. Plenty of dismantlers sell those, you can prob find a cheap used 1.

or yeah like everyone has already said just have a interior shop recover it. Its pretty easy to remove the bottom seat cushion. Its pretty easy to remove just about anything on this car, its built like a kids toy lol.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC