Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Aeroshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all! I got caught in a downpour yesterday and unfortunately met up with some road flooding that tore the aero shield off from under my Model Y. The back bumper is also popped away in one section and water got into the storage well of the trunk. I was going 30mph tops and can’t believe the damage. I watched others go through before I did with no problems. Lucky me. Apparently this has happened frequently and some have had Tesla do the repairs under warranty and others have paid. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to resolve it? Thanks!

Attachments

• 41EC8FE7-1751-4B16-BA65-C6025B0507A1.jpeg
    41EC8FE7-1751-4B16-BA65-C6025B0507A1.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 564
  • 00B418B4-2324-4302-82BC-6A03A2C58C01.jpeg
    00B418B4-2324-4302-82BC-6A03A2C58C01.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 8F0ED150-E097-41B3-AEC6-1D871045173C.jpeg
    8F0ED150-E097-41B3-AEC6-1D871045173C.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 326
Seen too many YouTube videos of people taking risks going through a deep water way or flooded area and then getting stuck and having to be rescued, I for sure wouldn’t take that chance.

Good luck on repairs you may have to come out of pocket on this one.

Fred

Seen too many YouTube videos of people taking risks going through a deep water way or flooded area and then getting stuck and having to be rescued, I for sure wouldn’t take that chance.

Good luck on repairs you may have to come out of pocket on this one.

Fred
I watched other cars go through with no issues. Apparently several M3 owners have had this happen and there’s actually a TSB on it. Didn’t know if it was common for MY as well.

Sucks it happened to you.. I believe this will not be covered by warranty like above comment. I think you should file a claim with your insurance... Hope it is not too expensive of a repair..
I’ll pay out of pocket if need be. There’s a TSB for this issue with the M3 and was checking to see if anyone else had experienced this and what their experience was.

Ok people! Geez! I didn’t post this to be slammed. I feel bad enough. Simple question- has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?? I’m inquiring since Tesla has acknowledged this to be a defect with the M3 and there’s a TSB on it. Please don’t post unless you are going to be helpful.

I believe the TSB for the M3 is a totally different issue, actually a defect that they subsequently modified in manufacturing.

Sorry you feel you're getting slammed. Water in the lower trunk in the rear would indicate a substantial depth of water, hence the collective responses about driving through standing water.

Hope this repair isn't expensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike_TV
What path is the water taking to fill the trunk that much? That does seem like an issue with poor design, even though I am in the camp of never ever drive in high water. Here in Houston, it's a broken record every time it floods with tons of people ruining their cars, and some drowning every time.

If water has an open and clean path into the rear trunk area that would be a defect. OTOH, water slamming into the underside of a car at 30 mph will blow through tiny crevices with great force so maybe not. I've seen videos of Teslas driving in water up to the windows, but none showed how much water intruded into the interior of the car when doing so.

Very interested in the outcome, be sure to post it here for us.

Hello all! I got caught in a downpour yesterday and unfortunately met up with some road flooding that tore the aero shield off from under my Model Y. The back bumper is also popped away in one section and water got into the storage well of the trunk. I was going 30mph tops and can’t believe the damage. I watched others go through before I did with no problems. Lucky me. Apparently this has happened frequently and some have had Tesla do the repairs under warranty and others have paid. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to resolve it? Thanks!
That happened to me as well, only I don't think I was going that fast. Probably about 15mph, and it ripped the skid plate off of the front and the back. Taking my car in today be fixed. Not under warranty, I think this is a design flaw, water was only six inches deep, any other car would have gone through this with no issues. So now we can't drive in the rain, what is next?

Ok people! Geez! I didn’t post this to be slammed. I feel bad enough. Simple question- has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?? I’m inquiring since Tesla has acknowledged this to be a defect with the M3 and there’s a TSB on it. Please don’t post unless you are going to be helpful.
The exact thing happened to me, filled all the storage compartments with water, popped the back bumper out a little, and also a little on the front. When I was going through the water, which was no more than six inches, a truck came buy me and created a wave, I am thinking that it created enough pressure to build up that it just popped all the plastic joiners. A did see where on the model S they have changed it to an aluminum skid plate instead of plastic, that would probably be a good idea. I would hate to see what will happen in snow, if water will do this kind of damage.

The design issue is that the front shield overlaps the bumper cover in the wrong direction namely back to front. Most cars will have the bumper cover overlap the aeroshield front to back so the air flow, water, snow, parking curbs flow in the primary direction of travel.