Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another one for the myth thread.
Sounds like a myth myth.

"I have no worries about the battery pack getting bumped on the bottom, it is impervious" is not something I've ever heard a Tesla owner say, really nothing like that. The opposite really, concern about jack points and high pointing the pack going over curbs and stuff. :p

My car has actually taken a couple bumps on the bottom. One the kid dropped the passenger wheel into a pothole that was actually part of the ditch so effectively bottomless, bottom of the car left gouges in the pavement. High stress moment, let me tell you. So no, it's not glass. Grinding a full-sized deer corpse up underneath at highway speed is a serious hit.

1/4" aluminum (assuming that is what it is) is no joke, that is legit "skid plate" construction. From the photo you can see it likely wasn't directly breeched. Tesla is likely just nervous about deformation impinging on the modules and longterm integrity (in case a seal got popped, you can see a bit of deformation on the leading edge, so risk of moisture getting inside), and wants to make sure they aren't signing off on taking on any potential problems under warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomB985
Yeah, the $40K truck is for the "loafer wearing boss guy" and the $70K blinged up truck is for the "lunch box labourer" guy. ROFL

I don’t think any actual trades person will buy a Tesla Cybertruck. It’s similar to how Mercedes vans took forever to get any traction here in the U.S. Because part of the problem is you roll up to the job site in it and you get automatic assumptions put on you.

I understand the money difference, obviously since I mentioned it myself. I’m saying Tesla owners...wear loafers, I’m wearing mine but only on the weekend.

Again, we still don’t have pictures of the incident days later

I don’t think any actual trades person will buy a Tesla Cybertruck. It’s similar to how Mercedes vans took forever to get any traction here in the U.S. Because part of the problem is you roll up to the job site in it and you get automatic assumptions put on you.

I understand the money difference, obviously since I mentioned it myself. I’m saying Tesla owners...wear loafers, I’m wearing mine but only on the weekend.

Again, we still don’t have pictures of the incident days later
I'm fully aware of the poseur attitudes, deeply seated prejudices, and peen insecurities that are likely to be at play to start with.

I just find it laughable that you think a vehicle that's priced at $75K base and has a rather urbane, nearly euro vehicle look to it will get outside that splash zone. Especially with Rivian's stated (unless they've changed it in the last few months?) marketing plan of focusing on top-end adventure safari-style packages as their actual core product.

I'm fully aware of the poseur attitudes, deeply seated prejudices, and peen insecurities that are likely to be at play to start with.

I just find it laughable that you think a vehicle that's priced at $75K base and has a rather urbane, nearly euro vehicle look to it will get outside that splash zone. Especially with Rivian's stated (unless they've changed it in the last few months?) marketing plan of fo cusing on top-end adventure safari-style packages as their actual core product.

I think Rivian will have more trucks out in the dirt than Tesla will. I understand the price difference, I get it as I can maths. But that is one ugly duckling and really only Mother loves it.

Still no pics of this damage.

But that is one ugly duckling and really only Mother loves it.
Rivian or Cyber? ;) Both strike me as kinda goofy, but then I have no interest in purchasing a truck.

Sure Cyber deviates from expectations of geometry. Because a lot of brains are stuck in the vestigial “two boxes stuck on top of two I-beams” mode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Form follows function, there. The under bed storage deals with the old method of reaching over the side of the box at the front. Change is scary but eventually function means a lot.

However, I hope you realize that doesn’t matter for some years to come? Tesla will sell every CT they can make.

Remains to be seen what supply & demand looks like for Rivian & whatever Ford does with the platform, but hopefully they can too [without joke production levels].

I think Rivian will have more trucks out in the dirt than Tesla will.
Outside their company run gilded age “adventures”?

Sad truth is my Model 3 has seen more dirt than the vast majority of both these vehicles ever will. It is becoming rarer for any truck. All this fetishized lifting and huge wheels. It’s kinda sad, really.

Last edited: