Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Car following Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 serviced for replacing new tires and rotation yesterday from Melbourne. Today, I found my windscreen is cracked in the front. My husband and I drive this and we did not face any accidents. My husband picked up the car and he felt some water/shampoo on the windscreen when it was handed over, but unfortunately did not notice the crack. I parked it in the garage and alarms were active. From my end, I cannot think of something that damaged the car. I am very suspicious about whether it was damaged during service. I am not sure how to proceed.

Unless you can prove that it was "damaged like this when we picked it up" (which it sounds like you cant), you should just move forward with dealing with your own insurance. Damaged windshields can happen the second you leave the lot (either in a new car or a car from service) so there is almost no way to prove "you did it" unless you point it out before you leave the lot (either with a new car or picking one up from service).

Upvote 0
Unless you can prove that it was "damaged like this when we picked it up" (which it sounds like you cant), you should just move forward with dealing with your own insurance. Damaged windshields can happen the second you leave the lot (either in a new car or a car from service) so there is almost no way to prove "you did it" unless you point it out before you leave the lot (either with a new car or picking one up from service).
Do you think If I put a police complaint I may have a chance of proving it (By accessing CCTV footage of the servicing)? I feel so wronged.

Upvote 0
Do you think If I put a police complaint I may have a chance of proving it (By accessing CCTV footage of the servicing)? I feel so wronged.

No, I dont. there is very little chance there is some camera of someone damaging your windshield. This may sound abrupt (and its not intended to), but this is why you have insurance. Just tell your insurance you have found damage on your windshield when you came out from the store "today", and get it fixed and move forward / onto something else.

Upvote 0
Don't involve the police. Talk to the SC manager, just let him know your concern and see what he says. Don't expect much, but you might get pleasantly surprised. At worst, you call your insurance, and let them take care of it.
Ditto. Police are unlikely to force a private business to give over video footage (even if it exists, which it is unlikely as Tesla turns off even the dashcam during service, which seems to be common practice in the car repair industry) just on a hunch that the damage was from the service center. A windshield crack can easily happen while driving from a rock or other road debris.

Getting police involved simply burns bridges with the service center and people working there. Given the OP is in Australia, it's likely not going to be easy to drive the car to a different service center for future issues and never go back to the same one.

Upvote 0
Ditto. Police are unlikely to force a private business to give over video footage (even if it exists, which it is unlikely as Tesla turns off even the dashcam during service, which seems to be common practice in the car repair industry) just on a hunch that the damage was from the service center. A windshield crack can easily happen while driving from a rock or other road debris.

Getting police involved simply burns bridges with the service center and people working there. Given the OP is in Australia, it's likely not going to be easy to drive the car to a different service center for future issues and never go back to the same one.
Thanks. I thought about that too.

Upvote 0