Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged CPO Photos after down payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
587683DC-A15C-41E1-926A-8883AFDEB6D6.png
05814C89-349F-4787-94AF-154CE2ACACED.png
F171BC4B-07CD-437A-8E5C-B42E925AFD7A.png
F171BC4B-07CD-437A-8E5C-B42E925AFD7A.png
587683DC-A15C-41E1-926A-8883AFDEB6D6.png
I purchased a CPO Model S 2015 22 hours ago and originally it had all these blurry images but had no damage pictures. I decided to check the images again and I saw towards the end of the images in the gallery a ruler for a massive scratch, 2 terribly curbed tires, major damage to the side of the body that is separated. I couldn’t believe my eyes and I refreshed and opened the link again and its gone - the damaged pictures are no longer there again. It is weird because for a moment with the damaged pictures I was able to click on photos and make them full resolution and see the no longer blurry photos which Tesla does on purpose I conclude. I know it was the correct link because it had the exact pictures as before just no damaged ones. What do I do?

Attachments

• B898752F-DE9D-4997-81CE-9C0B947DA3F6.png
    B898752F-DE9D-4997-81CE-9C0B947DA3F6.png
    736.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ludalicious
I know it's a silly question but are you sure it is the same car? When I was looking for a Model S, I received so many sets of pictures that I often confused them and had to resort to searching my email using VIN or mileage to find the one I wanted to review. Could've been a glitch in Manheim's photo system as well.

In any event, if upon delivery you find damage that is not disclosed in the photos, you can either refuse delivery or make a case for Tesla to repair/replace.

Hi Danny, yes I am sure it is the same vehicle as every picture was the same until a few navigation screen photos and damage photos were added (then damaged removed). I even went to my browser history to make sure and yup, it was the same vehicle just with pictures removed. But I was definitely not imagining it as the damaged pictures I was able to click on it to see a single photo that brought me to the webpage.

View attachment 397977 View attachment 397978 View attachment 397979 View attachment 397979 View attachment 397977 I purchased a CPO Model S 2015 22 hours ago and originally it had all these blurry images but had no damage pictures. I decided to check the images again and I saw towards the end of the images in the gallery a ruler for a massive scratch, 2 terribly curbed tires, major damage to the side of the body that is separated. I couldn’t believe my eyes and I refreshed and opened the link again and its gone - the damaged pictures are no longer there again. It is weird because for a moment with the damaged pictures I was able to click on photos and make them full resolution and see the no longer blurry photos which Tesla does on purpose I conclude. I know it was the correct link because it had the exact pictures as before just no damaged ones. What do I do?

It's a used car... If you want something in good condition buy new. I didn't say mint because even new Tesla's are not mint. Pop in the trim and just accept the dent. Just usual wear IMO.. The only issue I would have is what the heck is under that sticker on the bumper.... Ya the rims should be swapped... But what do you expect for a used car

• Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod
Only thing is, pickup is 2 hours away and don’t know if my $2,500 will be gone as they say its non refundable.

Do not accept a car you do not want. As others point out, it’s a used car. With other used cars you can examine the car before deciding whether to purchase it or not. You have the same rights here. They represented the car as one you would want. If the car isn’t as represented you have no obligation to purchase it.

That $2500 deposit was placed on the car as represented. If it is not as described, that money should be returned or transferred to another car. The fact that they misrepresented the car relieves you of any obligation to purchase it. If the car was exactly as described it would mean they have shipped it in good faith and that perhaps they might be entitled to keep the deposit. It wasn’t.

Don’t accept promises that problems will be fixed after you buy the car. Motivation to fix problems goes to zero after a car is purchased. Make sure anything that needs fixing is done before it becomes your car. Promises in writing are better than promises made that aren’t in writing, not much better, but spoken promises are absolutely worthless.

I haven’t heard of Tesla refusing to return or reapply deposits on used cars.

That rim tells me that the previous owner didn’t care for the car as you or I might. If he didn’t care about damage to his car, I’d be inclined to look to a car that had been better treated. That rim tells a story. To me that story is abuse. My rims don’t look like that, and they won’t, ever.

You are spending an enormous amount for a used car. You have a right to expect a car worth every bit of what you pay for it. In my mind it should look and function as if it was new. If you are buying one with paint damage, that should reduce the price by the amount you’ll need to pay to restore the paint to new appearing condition. If you don’t care about the look of the car, that’s fine. Keep in mind, you’ll eventually sell that car. The next buyer is going to care how the car looks.

The two hour drive is nothing compared to the cost of the car and the time you’ll spend with the car over the term of ownership.

Don’t be pressured. Pressure always favors the seller, never the buyer. It’s their car. If you don’t like the car, leave it their car, don’t make it your car. Only make it your car if you are absolutely certain it is the car you want. There are other cars. Lots of other cars. Get the one that’s right for you.

I’ve said enough. I wish you good luck, my friend.

Only thing is, pickup is 2 hours away and don’t know if my $2,500 will be gone as they say its non refundable.

Send those pics to your Tesla sales advisor and ask them. If they confirm the cars has those issues, cancel and explained the pictures weren't provided at the time of deposit and you would like a car with less issues. Ask nicely for a refund. Although, I do personally feel those issues are relatively minor.

Reactions: Saxgod and Russell
I would never advise someone to just refuse to accept a CPO car if it is not to your satisfaction and expect to get your deposit back. You have clearly agreed to provide a $2500 nonrefundable and non-transferable deposit when you bought the car.

Tesla may or may not refund your money. They are under no obligation to do so.

I would never advise someone to just refuse to accept a CPO car if it is not to your satisfaction and expect to get your deposit back. You have clearly agreed to provide a $2500 nonrefundable and non-transferable deposit when you bought the car.

Tesla may or may not refund your money. They are under no obligation to do so.

What??? Everything's fine with the non-refundable money, as long as the vehicle is honestly represented. The moment the photos of damage were removed (very shady tactics, seriously Tesla? Even Joe Blow's Used Car doesn't do that, Lol), that agreement/contract is no longer valid.

I can only explain our experience...paid the 2500 down - they brought it to us after 1 month (they don't answer emails and can't get answers in a timely fashion at all) there were other issues on the car paint wise when delivered - we refused the car - tesla called back and said they would repair said damages - took the car into their people for estimate for them to tell us the whole car had been repainted and they were pretty sure there were new parts on it - none listed in carmax - that was 2/6 - we emailed asking what to do that we weren't happy purchasing a car with more issues than listed - on 2/22 they emailed say " we are offering a full buy back" well that full by back has cost us $3000 - .80 per mile the car was droven and didn't offer to pay for tax title or license that we had to pay...not even the original purchase amount - we are stinking upset but feel that we can't keep the car - who knows what else is wrong with it - the car was taken back on Wednesday 4/17 and the loan has yet to be paid 4/24 and we have made another payment and interest. Moral - don't purchase a used car - get with you sales guy and say that wasn't listed and reject it...then start asking about the $2500. We have had a horrible experience with Tesla - Not one upper management - whoever they are - has responded to us...ridiculous yet we love the car so definitely looking into a new one - they call and email immediately...good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Denila
Picked up the vehicle today. I saw the damages and its the whole side skirt that they glued together in the end and the front bumper doesnt even clip. They offered to fix it but have not gotten any emails or info for servicing. The photos were of the correct car, they just decided to remove them because there were a ton of dings and dents and scratches down to the primer.

Overall very dissapponted, car drives well but inside the car was filthy, lipstick and makeup above the drivers seat, door sill plate scratched to much you could barely read the “Model S” and there was a bunch of dirt residue that was clearly wet on the center console and all over the vehicle.

Overall very dissapponted, car drives well but inside the car was filthy, lipstick and makeup above the drivers seat, door sill plate scratched to much you could barely read the “Model S” and there was a bunch of dirt residue that was clearly wet on the center console and all over the vehicle.

So after all we wrote, you still took delivery of a damaged, filthy car.

Kevin, why?

Picked up the vehicle today. I saw the damages and its the whole side skirt that they glued together in the end and the front bumper doesnt even clip. They offered to fix it but have not gotten any emails or info for servicing. The photos were of the correct car, they just decided to remove them because there were a ton of dings and dents and scratches down to the primer.

Wow that is shady AF.