Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged MX inventory demo car - collective wisdom please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Given my current Model X custom order is now delayed until Jan/Feb, I've ordered a same spec inventory ex-demo car. 3000 miles, built in June so is raven/ £12k discount of new price, which I thought was decent.

However, I've been informed that the car has 'cosmetic damage' to the rear (see photo) and needs parts, which won't be in until January. Problem was, I was told this 10mins after I sold my existing car today, so face being car-less over Christmas.

I've asked for a loan vehicle until the repair is done. Not sure if they'll go for this, but if not they've said that as it's cosmetic, I can complete the sale as planned before Christmas and bring it back for repairs in January.

Am I total crazy to contemplate purchasing a car with damage? Being car-less is skewing my view, so appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum please!

Solihull Model X Ex Demo.png

It would not be my first choice but given the extenuating circumstances not crazy. Don't suppose you could negotiate a further discount as a result? or some free SuC credits?
It does look pretty minor so once repaired there should not be any knock on. TBH do any of us know when we buy a new car, inventory or otherwise, if this kind of damage may have occurred and been fixed. If you don't buy it it will be fixed and the next purchaser will get it and be none the wiser.
The irony is normally a respray is considered a bad thing. With a Tesla it is probably a plus :D

Reactions: tess19 and simon79
As long as you have in writing the timescale for completion and an agreed standard of quality, then go for it.

The irony is normally a respray is considered a bad thing. With a Tesla it is probably a plus :D

I bought a new Toyota a few years ago, on delivery day they removed the protective film from the panels and found the lacquer beneath had not cured properly, leaving a milky swirl all over the car.

We agreed on a loan car, a full respray, and a money back guarantee if I wasn’t happy with the finished result.

Most lustrous, mirror perfect, blemish free, perfect paint job I have ever had on any car I’ve ever owned. It was stunning.

Reactions: simon79
Tricky one. Assuming they are doing the repairs for free, not a bad deal. Would push for reduction by another 3k drive it home so not carless and have repairs done in January. Alternatively if set on new new car, hire a car until you get the one ordered but consider that it could be furthered delayed. Good luck.

Reactions: simon79
Which parts are needed? That dent is in the rear quarter panel, correct? That’s a huge replacement effort. Id knock that out and repaint. With that said, it should have no effect on the car operation.

Will it have damage reported on a car fax? (Do they have those over there?)

The damage looks fairly minimal. So long as you have confidence that they'll do a decent job repairing it and you're happy with the car in other ways, then I'd say run with it. Try to get as much extra compensation as you can (loan car, SuC miles, more £ discount etc). In 3 months time you'll have forgotten about the damage.