TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Damaged my front spoiler / splitter - how much $$$ £££ ?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Alan, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Alan

Alan Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Its comical really, a friend who lives nearby has an automatic gate and there is a small metal post sticking up that you have to drive over.

My Lotus is too low to go over this so I park that on the street when visiting, but the Tesla has more ground clearance so I have got used to driving over it.

Last night I made a big mistake. There is plenty of ground clearance over the post with ONE person in the car. With two in the car there was a horrible crunching / ripping noise as I drove out through the gates. :redface:

My front spoiler / splitter is totaled and will need replacing. :cursing:

Does anyone know how much they cost, its one of the exposed carbon fiber ones so I guess its not going to be cheap.

Also does anyone know if its easy to remove - I might have to take it off or cut / trim away some of the damage as its hanging down so will drag across any speed humps etc.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    On a road to my house there is a stretch where one can get going pretty fast. There is a big car length long dip along that at speed the car springs compress pretty good. I found with a passenger at the same speed I heard a scrape. My Tesla mechanic pointed it out to me with the car on the lift. Minor but a lesson learned.