Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Tesla X, Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 18 Tesla X with front end damage. The car started and drove onto our rollback and wouldn't start again.

I would gladly pay someone to assist us in finding the problem. I have hooked up a charger but I cannot get the vehicle to take a charge. It started up one time and that was it. Any ideas or anyone I can call? Again- will gladly pay good money for help from a Tesla Guru. Thanks!

I have a 18 Tesla X with front end damage. The car started and drove onto our rollback and wouldn't start again.

I would gladly pay someone to assist us in finding the problem. I have hooked up a charger but I cannot get the vehicle to take a charge. It started up one time and that was it. Any ideas or anyone I can call? Again- will gladly pay good money for help from a Tesla Guru. Thanks!
Search for threads on pyrofuse

It is not a salvage title, but it is not being covered by insurance. Car was hit in the front, parts taken off of the front to check the damage. We drove the car on the truck, It had a blown pyro fuse, they put one in it to drive it on the truck, then took it back out.

We bought a pyro fuse and the car never ran again other than one time. It's at a friends shop, who is pretty sharp and he says it has powered up once. For some reason the car isn't taking a charge I think. Is there anything else besides the Pyro fuse that would be a good place to check? Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated.

It is not a salvage title, but it is not being covered by insurance. Car was hit in the front, parts taken off of the front to check the damage. We drove the car on the truck, It had a blown pyro fuse, they put one in it to drive it on the truck, then took it back out.

We bought a pyro fuse and the car never ran again other than one time. It's at a friends shop, who is pretty sharp and he says it has powered up once. For some reason the car isn't taking a charge I think. Is there anything else besides the Pyro fuse that would be a good place to check? Thank you for your help, it's really appreciated.

The pyro fuse you bought could be defective, you should take it out and check it.

The other thing to check is the safety cut-loop in the frunk. It could be it was cut and someone just twisted the wires back together and transporting it on your rollback caused them to disconnect again.

Or 12V battery and its connections, as they might have been damaged or loosened in the collision or during the front end parts removal process.

The good news is that it is almost certainly something small. The bad news is that small intermittent issues can be tough to track down.

Double check every ground and make sure you don't have a cracked bolt that is really just held in place by the wiring harness.

Good luck & let us know the solution!

Or 12V battery and its connections, as they might have been damaged or loosened in the collision or during the front end parts removal process.

The good news is that it is almost certainly something small. The bad news is that small intermittent issues can be tough to track down.

Double check every ground and make sure you don't have a cracked bolt that is really just held in place by the wiring harness.

Good luck & let us know the solution!

Awesome, Thank you. Would the Tesla Service Center Diagnose this for us? They are not very customer friendly when it comes to ANYTHING outside the box.

Awesome, Thank you. Would the Tesla Service Center Diagnose this for us? They are not very customer friendly when it comes to ANYTHING outside the box.

The Tesla service centers won't touch the high-voltage portion of a salvaged car until after you have paid, and passed, the high voltage inspection. (I'm making the assumption that it has a salvage title.)

Note: They also disable Supercharging, and CHAdeMO charging, once they find out a car has a salvage title, and won't ever turn it back on.

A 2018 Model X with no insurance? And whatever you ran into wasn't damaged or you owned that too? Sounds a little outside the norm but we'll run with it.

If insurance isn't paying on it and you keep the title clean, then Tesla won't shut off Supercharging unless your car reports damage to the mother ship some other way.

Your best bet before trying to get any Tesla service, unless you want the full boat Tesla-authorized body shop repair price, is to fix the body damage BEFORE seeking Tesla's help on your no start problem.

Even safer for long-term Tesla service would be pay an independent shop to track down the no start problem before powering it up in hopes your car won't then report blown airbag(s) or other problems to the mother ship. Tesla service would probably see collision evidence, not cover anything under warranty and send you down the very expensive Tesla-approved body shop repair process you are obviously trying to avoid.

Folks here who "root" cars (search threads) could probably help you understand when and what your car will report back. You should post some pics (not including your VIN) of the damage so members can better understand your situation and give you better advice.

Good luck and still post later to let us know the solution. Everyone's cars will be out of warranty sooner or later and this knowledge base can help others in the future.