Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged the plastic part rear wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Locky

Jul 30, 2017
London
basically I have managed to damage the vehicle part just above the left rear wheel area where the “plastic” part (not the aluminium) has a few scratches and two narrow cracks.
Th aluminium body has a tiny scratch but I am fine with that.

First of all, as I am new to this, what exactly is this hard plastic part of the vehicle called?

And second, how much would it cost if I take it to the service centre for repair on this?

Would be glad if anyone could share some thoughts....
2485CAE3-13CF-42C4-A6FD-5A95236F07E3.jpeg

basically I have managed to damage the vehicle part just above the left rear wheel area where the “plastic” part (not the aluminium) has a few scratches and two narrow cracks.
Th aluminium body has a tiny scratch but I am fine with that.

First of all, as I am new to this, what exactly is this hard plastic part of the vehicle called?

And second, how much would it cost if I take it to the service centre for repair on this?

Would be glad if anyone could share some thoughts....View attachment 255990
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my X is in the body shop after wife hit a deer. I asked the shop to also repaint the FWDs due to excessive road rash just forward of the wheel well trim (what it's called). The shop called me back and said that (a) the wheel well trim must be removed to paint the doors and (b) the trim is one-time-use only and has sensors inside it. Was I willing to pay for that also?

I can't recall what the parts cost was ($200?), but the service center would probably just send it out to a body shop, so you'd be out the cost of parts plus labor to remove and replace.

Thank you for the responses.
Unfortunately I am in London (narrow roads thus the damage!) and everything costs more than US.

Sounds like it is not in the thousands of dollars range, although not sure about Labour cost!

I will contact service centre and share the costing!
I did notice that the rear wheel promitixty warning seems to be less sensitive as I didn’t really hear the expected alarm sound before hitting the corner at a very slow parking speed.

I know that the sensor for the wing door has a “blind” spot near the wheel but I assume the sensor for the wheel part is different right?

Hi Locky - did you managed to get wheel well trim fixed/replaced? If yes how much did it cost? I got myself a crack in the wheel well trim and some scratch on mine and trying to figure out what is the best way to go about addressing it.

The term they use is actually "fender garnish" I don't know why ... but it is.
That part should be relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to install. If it was the garnish on the bottom of your FWD, I assume it'd be more since that's where the sensors are. The SC has to order new ones for me as they damaged them when buffing the car for delivery. They said it was an easy install and that a mobile tech can do the install of those.

I had this part replaced in the UK.

I had the part just on the door scraped in a multi storey car park where some idiot parked opposite the charger space in the aisle and I couldn't get out.

It was £60.69+ VAT for 2 parts and miscellaneous items. I thought it was just the part on the door, but it may have been the part behind the door also. Anyway, way way cheaper than a door repair. It just clips on, they didn't appear to charge any labour, but it was in for a door sensor change anyway.

Maybe it's the picture, but that actually doesn't look all that bad. If it was me, I'd try to take a Magic Eraser (or any Melamin sponge) to wipe away some of the yellow. Then I'd hit the black surround with some Black Magic Trim Restorer (or any trim restorer, back to black, Meguiers Ultimate Black, etc.) and see what happens.