Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Tire on MX and Roadside Assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on Sunday evening.... Drove out and got a warning immediately there was low pressure of 18PSI on my left rear tire... cussed a bit, looked at it and safe enough to drive back into the garage... Called Roadside and they were very nice, sent a truck over and the guy gave me a loaner wheel. All in all I think it was less than 1-hour in San Francisco so actually not bad.

Since all SCs are closed they said they'll take it to the SF SC and I was fine with that. I'm just glad a full size wheel was on it so I don't have to drive 50mph like a donut... When he showed me the tire it had one screw in there so I thought I should be repairable. I was too tired to pull my plug kit out so just had him take it.

What was funny was that I called today and they told me there was also another one in the sidewall (GAH!) and that I needed a new tire. I didn't bother to check the sidewall inside and the SC was going to send me a pic later. No hassle, until they told me that they don't have any in stock... I went online and found America's Tire in Millbrae with 8 x (275/45-R20) in stock so just ordered a single for a total of $310 (with tax mount etc.). Tesla quoted me $450 and it can take a week to three weeks, not surprised at the markup. So tomorrow I will be picking up the tire at the SF SC and driving it down to Millbrae for them to mount and put it on my car. Then I'll drop off the loaner to the Burlingame shop.

With the exception of the tire being in stock it was not bad. The sad part is I'm at about almost 19k so got some good wear, but not enough to be replaced yet..

Well, I'm driving off on a loaner that looks like blood has been splattered on it and the size is 265/45 R20. Didn't notice anything off but it works.... lol It looks like I'm driving a Frankenstein'd Model X!

BTW those are not scratches on my car, just hadn't washed it for 2-months since I keep driving up to Truckee and the snow along with all the rain we've been getting...

T2.jpg

T1.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: outie and Tam
I shouldn't have to pay for the loaner or service, it is included as long as the car is still under the 4-year/50k warranty and if you extend that (my understanding). I just have to pay for the tire repair and if I don't return the loaner. Here is the agreement from them on the T&Cs. I'm just so glad that you can electronically sign docs with Tesla, so much more convenient!

Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) is allowing you, our customer, to make use of a Loaner Tire and Wheel (the “Loaner Wheel”) for short term, temporary use so that you can reach a suitable destination to replace your flat tire and wheel. Your use of the Loaner Wheel is subject to the following terms and conditions:

1. Tesla is allowing you to make use of the Loaner Wheel, not selling it to you. You agree to return the Loaner Wheel to a Tesla Service Center (or other location mutually agreed by you and Tesla) within 3 business days of the date and time it is loaned to you or if explicitly agreed by Tesla, at the time of your scheduled service appointment. You agree to pay Tesla the full retail price of the Loaner Wheel if it is not returned on time.

2. You acknowledge that the Loaner Wheel may cause changes in the behavior and performance of your vehicle, and you agree that you will nevertheless remain responsible for the operation of your vehicle while using the Loaner Wheel. Examples include: altered steering response, grip level differences on the sides of the vehicle, steering pull to one side during acceleration or braking, reduced effectiveness of traction control and Electronic Stability Control (ESC), and alerts in the tire pressure monitoring system due to tire pressure differences.

3. You represent that you have appropriate insurance on your vehicle that meets or exceeds the minimum legal requirements. Tesla does not provide any warranty or insurance coverage under this Agreement.

4. You release and discharge Tesla and related persons or entities from any and all claims and damages relating to, arising from, or connected with the use of the Loaner Wheel and any incidents or claims related to the Loaner Wheel.

I had 3 nails on 2 tires in a span of 3 weeks. I feel you. I got lucky as all the leaks were in a place where I patched it myself. It was difficult, but made it work. Since I had a compressor and a plug kit in the car, I was able to get done within 30 minutes. Average wait time for Tesla is what, 3 hours now?

...so just ordered a single for a total of $310 (with tax mount etc.). ... So tomorrow I will be picking up the tire at the SF SC and driving it down to Millbrae for them to mount and put it on my car.
The sad part is I'm at about almost 19k so got some good wear, but not enough to be replaced yet..

You're just putting on *one*, with the other 3 at 19k miles? Is that a wise thing to do?

You're just putting on *one*, with the other 3 at 19k miles? Is that a wise thing to do?

Just gotta follow some guidelines on this and mileage does matter but tread depth even more. Yea you can make arguments to both sides but once you past the 4/32" mark yes you should replace at least both. Right now the tread depth is 7.14mm (new) and 5.5mm (~7/32). I'm planning to replace in the summer anyways with maybe the Pirelli Verde A/S. There's too many things going on and I won't be able to wait for an entire set. Once I get the new Verdes (if I decide on that) I'll get a used wheel and mount the conti on for a spare wheel.

Even when I was driving on the loaner, the one they gave me was a 265/45R20 for the rear and quite new on the tire... even though my rear is 275/45R20. :)

You can look for used tires on ebay and match the tread life. I've purchased 2 tires and both were under $150 each delivered. Mounting and balancing at a local shop is less than $30. I did have to provide them with the jack adapter which I already had. I just ask the SC if I can keep the spare for a week and they said no problem since a new tire from them would take 1-2 weeks delivery anyway.

thanks bFlat, I was too much in a hurry as I had a planned trip up to Truckee/Tahoe for skiing. Though with the new one and about to replace in about maybe 6 months or so, going to look for a 20x9.5 Tesla wheel so I can mount that as a spare to keep in the garage.

America's Tires in Milbrae wasn't bad at all they had them in stock and was ready to go since they get a lot of Teslas.