Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged undercarriage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

From research I know this used to be an issue some time ago hence the redesigned undercarriage Aero shield...
I collected my car on December 22, let's say exactly a month ago.

A couple of days ago my car started to make a loud "bang" when changing from reverse to forward, and forward to reverse. (actually moving, not just flicking the stalk)
Just one bang almost as if something was rolling over - once it banged, then nothing and all good.

Today I had a chance to peak under the care and discovered (what my research points to) a torn Aeroshield - pictures attached.

I've booked an appointment at a "local" service centre in 10 days - the earliest available.

Given that I am 100% sure I did not hit anything (surely would have heard/felt impact strong enough to tear plastic) am I likely to be billed for the repair? If so, how much should I expect to pay?

Is it ok to drive?

IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3211.jpg

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 4,553
If there are no signs of damage such as scratches and tears to the surrounding area, my guess is that Tesla may cover it under a basic vehicle warranty. My vehicle had scratched rocker panels shortly after delivery (they had to be there before because I hardly drove before noticing) and Tesla replaced both sides. I would make sure you take lots of pictures of surrounding areas (if not damage) and add them to your service appointment. This way you can show them that the impact was indeed not your fault.

If they do not cover it, my guestimate is about $175 USD, so about 127GBP

As far as driving, I think your ok as long as it is documented well, but perhaps try to avoid as much as possible to prevent further damage.

Let me know how it goes.

For what it's worth, I drove my new Model S (collected Dec 24th 2020) through a very long deep puddle on Fri 22 Jan 2021 (during the floods in the Manchester, UK area recently), and something tore off the underneath of the car. I assume it was part of the aero-shield. Tesla Manchester say they could get the replacement part by next Thu 28 Jan.

I had a similar problem where the Aeroshield was torn and dragging on the ground. It was replaced at no charge. I think getting billed for this depends on the service center. Ive heard other people were charged.
I think if they determine that the car was driven through a large and deep puddle, for example, you would be charged.

Hi both,

HughEverett
I am based near Stoke On Trent, and Stockport is my chosen SC.
Did you just arrive unannounced? Will they be charging you for it?

hcdavis3
Does yours have the "updated" aero shield? I believe they used to be made of fabric - then they replaced them with more sturdy ones around mid 2019 ( If I am right ).
Mine is the latter.

If my situation wasn't bad enough, now I've noticed that the front aero shield is also torn and hanging down slightly!

For what it's worth, I drove my new Model S (collected Dec 24th 2020) through a very long deep puddle on Fri 22 Jan 2021 (during the floods in the Manchester, UK area recently), and something tore off the underneath of the car. I assume it was part of the aero-shield. Tesla Manchester say they could get the replacement part by next Thu 28 Jan.

Not sure if your repair has been done yet, but I had a similar experience. Went through a puddle which turned out to be much deeper than it looked and a part of the underside grounded. (Also Manchester, as it happens)

Turns out it had damaged a 'battery ski trim' which had to be replaced. Process was quite worrying as pressure tests were also required to confirm the battery was ok - it was. Cost £352 inc parts/labour and VAT.

Good luck with yours.

Hi both,

HughEverett
I am based near Stoke On Trent, and Stockport is my chosen SC.
Did you just arrive unannounced? Will they be charging you for it?

hcdavis3
Does yours have the "updated" aero shield? I believe they used to be made of fabric - then they replaced them with more sturdy ones around mid 2019 ( If I am right ).
Mine is the latter.

If my situation wasn't bad enough, now I've noticed that the front aero shield is also torn and hanging down slightly!

They were never made of fabric and all the Model 3s in the UK have the revised shields. There's a good video about it here:

Looking at your photos, that part of your driveway is dangerously close to the underside of the car. Are you sure the car hasn't bottomed out? If the lip of the aero shield caught on that bit of concrete with the tuft of grass sticking out, it may have been responsible for tearing the shield. Get some more close up photos around where it's torn and check for any scratches or scuffs.

If there are no signs of damage such as scratches and tears to the surrounding area, my guess is that Tesla may cover it under a basic vehicle warranty. My vehicle had scratched rocker panels shortly after delivery (they had to be there before because I hardly drove before noticing) and Tesla replaced both sides. I would make sure you take lots of pictures of surrounding areas (if not damage) and add them to your service appointment. This way you can show them that the impact was indeed not your fault.

If they do not cover it, my guestimate is about $175 USD, so about 127GBP

As far as driving, I think your ok as long as it is documented well, but perhaps try to avoid as much as possible to prevent further damage.

Let me know how it goes.
Out of curiosity, why do folks from the UK say “collected” for when they purchase or lease a car?

Hi all,

So today was my SC appointment.
Very smooth process to be honest - even had a little waiting area which I didn't expect.

In and out in 45minutes, middle aero shield replaced... but was also told that the front one has damage, but it's nothing to worry about with no urgency to get it fixed - strange, but fine by me.

Price - £0... good will gesture I was told. Didn't question it, smiled and went.

For those interested, the quote on the app was around £185 ( can't remember exactly and it seems to have disappeared now )

Reactions: KenC
Hi all,

So today was my SC appointment.
Very smooth process to be honest - even had a little waiting area which I didn't expect.

In and out in 45minutes, middle aero shield replaced... but was also told that the front one has damage, but it's nothing to worry about with no urgency to get it fixed - strange, but fine by me.

Price - £0... good will gesture I was told. Didn't question it, smiled and went.

For those interested, the quote on the app was around £185 ( can't remember exactly and it seems to have disappeared now )

Out of interest which Service Centre did you visit?