Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damn, dead in garage...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ECTO-1

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2019
AZ --> VA --> MD
Not sure what happened today, but I just went to empty out my car to clean it and the phone or key card didn't work. A quick check online (Teslafi) and it can't communicate with the car either. No symptoms, just dead.

Called roadside, they are coming to tow it. I asked if they could talk to it, but they said it is offline. I asked if this could be a 12V issue, they came back and stated it was showing fine up until 2:45ish. Seems that was around the time it died. The mobile charger is stuck in it, so I hope we can get that out before towing. Also I am "nose in" the garage.

Wife and I went out shopping this morning in it and she noticed a high whine (louder than normal) coming from behind the front seats that would change pitch as we accelerated and decelerated on the highway. It went away after 30 minutes or so. I chalked it up to the car being "cold" and not having much regen available.

2020.44.15 just installed 2 days ago, all other systems normal this morning for 80 miles of driving. Tow truck is on the way.

Any words of advice?

ECTO-1

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
How to...page 158.
If you can access the trunk.:(
Screenshot_20201121-130700_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Update: 12V somehow restored itself to let me in (both front windows went down), and I was also able to release the charge cable. Car is now cycling something under the frunk area. Sounds like some electronics. Tech guy stated he saw some brief hits of 12V issues. So it looks to be a 12V failure for sure. I didn't get any warning while driving today, or any other day. Hopefully when they jump it we can close the windows. I have just about 22K miles on it, June 2019 build. No real issues otherwise (I did have a taillight loose its seal, however they replaced under warranty).

Thanks @RoBoRaT and @josher32 for the ideas/help.

So does this indicate that there may be a bigger problem with the HV path to charging the 12V?

ECTO-1

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Update: 12V somehow restored itself to let me in (both front windows went down), and I was also able to release the charge cable. Car is now cycling something under the frunk area. Sounds like some electronics. Tech guy stated he saw some brief hits of 12V issues. So it looks to be a 12V failure for sure. I didn't get any warning while driving today, or any other day. Hopefully when they jump it we can close the windows. I have just about 22K miles on it, June 2019 build. No real issues otherwise (I did have a taillight loose its seal, however they replaced under warranty).

So does this indicate that there may be a bigger problem with the HV path to charging the 12V?

ECTO-1

Had similar issue 2 week post delivery of my (Dec) 2018 LR AWD M3. HV battery contactor was defective (something like it stayed in unlocked position), first warning was unable to charge able to limp home, then day later died in garage after 12V battery died.

Long story short, flat bed to SC - 12V battery, charging port and connectors, and HV Battery contactors were replaced - after 1 week in SC. No issues since.

Reactions: SlimJim

ECTO-1
Have had to change out Model X battery twice in the last 4 yrs. have heard of others needing to change these even after a year. If you have many electronics plugged in that could contribute.

Had similar issue 2 week post delivery of my (Dec) 2018 LR AWD M3. HV battery contactor was defective (something like it stayed in unlocked position), first warning was unable to charge able to limp home, then day later died in garage after 12V battery died.

Long story short, flat bed to SC - 12V battery, charging port and connectors, and HV Battery contactors were replaced - after 1 week in SC. No issues since.

Well good ton know that you haven't had trouble since. I wonder if I should try and jump it to maneuver it around to make it easier for the tow truck guy...

ECTO-1

Well good ton know that you haven't had trouble since. I wonder if I should try and jump it to maneuver it around to make it easier for the tow truck guy...

ECTO-1

My guess is that it just a matter of time before your 12V dies. Better if you can maneuver so that the car is facing towards the flat bed truck.
The tech was able to replace the 12V battery in my garage and the car was functioning since it still has about 50% SoC with new 12V battery - they even suggested that I drive it to the SC. I declined stating I am not comfortable driving it and risk dead in the interstate.

Reactions: vickh
I have just about 22K miles on it, June 2019 build. No real issues otherwise (I did have a taillight loose its seal, however they replaced under warranty).

ECTO-1
This is why I have a new Tesla 12 v battery sitting in the garage right now. April 2018 so I'm getting nervous. Replace it proactively or wait for trouble?

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim and RoBoRaT