TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Damn it. My mom hates Falcon Wing Door

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Quesder, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

I am driving a Corolla for now and carry my wife, 2 kids and my mom. I always feel so sorry for her that she needs to crawl in and out to the middle seat at the back.
    I bring her to Tesla and we tested drive a Model X. Then she said that the door is too flashy and catch people's eyes. Too fashionable, in a bad way. Kind of showing how rich you are. She doesn't like it. Disapprove buying it, unless I don't care her feeling. (PS. I am 39-year-old).
    What can I do? I tried all other 7-seat SUV and they suck. Very much. Mini-van is good but too bulky.

Should I buy it anyway and hope that she will gradually love it as time goes by?

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Buy what you want to buy and not what a parent thinks you should or shouldn't do. You have your own family now and shouldn't feel that you should still be answerable to your mom. OTOH, if it were your wife objecting, that's an entirely different matter. ;)

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 1
  3. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    With all due respect to your mother, you are 39 years old and need to be free to make your own decisions! You can explain to her why it's important to you to buy a Model X, and that while you understand her concerns about the doors, you think this will be the best overall choice for your family.

• Like x 7
  4. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

Your mistake was asking her opinion before you bought it. If you decided, and your wife agreed, that this is the vehicle that will fit your family's needs and then you had bought it and showed your mother, then you would have been telling her that you had bought it rather than asking her opinion. Then if she said that it was too extravagant and flashy. You could tell her that you are embracing the future of transportation, not trying to show off. What can you do about it now? I have no idea. I think your best chance is to persuade her that there are a lot of great reasons to buy a Tesla and showing off is not one of them.

• Like x 1
  5. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Go back to take a test. Adjust the suspension to the lowest level, demonstrate it to her, and tell her how the car recognizes she is a senior citizen and lowers itself welcoming her to hop in.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

How much is your inheritance?

• Funny x 22
  7. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

Here's something that might help you persuade her. As she ages, the Model X is a great vehicle for transporting people with reduced mobility.

We just visited my wife's 94-year-old grandfather in our Model X. He uses a walker and getting in and out was very easy for him. He rode in the 2nd row. We lowered the suspension to make it easier to step in. When he was getting out, we raised the suspension (like a lift chair, this helped him get his weight over his feet). The FWD open and move out of the way, this made it easy to assist him in and out as needed.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

It's also possible that she is resisting you buying it because she doesn't want you to buy it to make her life easier.

To me her opinion is irrelevant as long as she can physically get in the car.

Instead what matters is your opinion, and your wifes.

9. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

I agree with her -- the doors are flashy and look like you're bragging. You should agree with her too. But get it anyway, despite the doors, because it's just so damn good. The doors are not just flashy, but server an important purpose.

• Like x 2
  10. Quesder

Quesder Member

Thanks everybody. I payed the deposit. I will be the nicest husband and son for a while.

• Like x 9
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Good choice.

12. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Show her this.

• Funny x 1
  13. bushburner

bushburner Member

Get rid of your mom.

• Funny x 3
  14. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

This echos my comments. I remember second-guessing the decision to buy a Model S (especially in our oil and gas city) but the decision worked out great. Now that I decided to move into a Model X I know my wife and I both wish the doors weren't so flashy but we love the functionality of them. Too bad they didn't have two-way opening - a subtle standard hinge so you don't attract unwanted attention and the FWD for practicality (and car shows LOL). Good decision to move ahead with it. Parents shouldn't guilt their children (any age) with statements like "unless you don't care about my feelings"... does a lot of long-term damage. Enjoy your new Tesla!!

15. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Move out.

• Funny x 5
  16. Lex

Lex Member

I was raised humble too -- as I recently heard someone say, you should always act like a representative of your mother :)

To ease tensions I'd dwell on 2 things:
    1. The fact that the MS and MX are probably the safest cars on the road. Mom should be happy with this.
    2. The fact that they are the first practical zero emissions vehicles available. Moms love clean air and such.

But ya I agree the Falcon Wing doors were probably a tad "too much" not only because they are so highly visible but also because of the design and manufacturing costs / delays they caused, and the crowded Service Centres that I now have to face (2 more weeks without Autopilot, sigh).

17. bro1999

bro1999 Member

Hey, what does your mom think about a BOLT?? Lol

I see you already put a deposit down. Hopefully your mom warms up to the X.

18. Gen3

Gen3 Member

It also has Bio weapon defence mode to protect kids from harmful fumes when in traffic. (Only with premium upgrade unfortunately)

And emergency braking based on car ahead of the one in front of you.

Check out this accident warning. There are other videos too, but accident preventions don't get the same coverage as teslas in an accident.

Tesla Autopilot’s new radar technology predicts an accident caught on dashcam a second later

• Love x 1
  19. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

You need to live your own life, your mom should be proud that you are in a position to purchase a car like this. Honestly the FWD are not as flashy as everyone says and they make it easier to get in and out of. Life is short enjoy it now!

• Like x 1