TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Damn Tesla...Damn......

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rogbmw, Aug 27, 2013.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Just had my loaner delivered and my car taken to the Tampa service center for a few items. Damn...why do you do this to me Tesla. My car is a standard 85. The loaner is an P85+ with all the bells and whistles......and only 280 miles.....and they offer a trade in program......:love:

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Some people say you can't really tell the difference between an 85 and a P85(+) for normal city driving."
    What do you say to these people, rogbmw?

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Definitely give us you impression of both 85 and P85.

4. B-Chicago

B-Chicago Member

I have the P85 and can tell you from driving an S85 loaner that there is a noticeable difference between the two on initial acceleration. Easy to differentiate because it is all in the "gas" pedal. I have never driven a + but imagine that might be a bit more difficult to feel as straight driving/soft curves probably don't feel much different.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I drove a P85 and a S85 almost back to back (ended up with the S85). My recollection was that the P85 did "pull" a lot quicker from a standstill, but if I was driving, say, 30 MPH or higher and punched it, I couldn't really discern a big difference.

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Somewhat similar situation for me....but I'm p85 to p85 without air suspension....

While the car feels tighter, it is noticeably higher and rougher on bumps and whatnot....

7. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That's what I thought before too. Now I have a P85 loaner, and it's quite a bit quicker at any speed. The major difference is the P85 allows for some wheelspin, while the standard 85 has none(at full throttle).

8. wormhole

wormhole Banned

I was charging at the Norristown SC one day, I have a S85, and they loaned me a P85+ to get some lunch, while I did notice acceleration, and some tighter steering, in 'normal' driving i didn't notice a difference. The biggest difference for me was the placement and change of microphone, and the steering wheel buttons were 'tighter'. I have no regrets on getting the S vs the P.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

placement and change of microphone? how so?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

11. wormhole

wormhole Banned

So if you look at older MS and newer ones, the microphone for hands free up in front of the pano has been redesigned, and when I used it, my wife said voice clarity was much much better. looks as though there are now two mics, one directed to the left the other to the right. In terms of the steering wheel buttons, they seem much more solid than mine, which wiggle around.

12. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

What kind of financial deal are the running for the loaners? I too have a standard 85, and I'm coming due for my 12k service - which will require a loaner...

13. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I noticed the same on the steering wheel buttons, it's subtle, but real I think. Wish I had the updated microphones, sound quality on the receiving side is horrible 80% of the time.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not only that, but I find using voice commands for Slacker or Navigation while underway is an almost futile exercise. My last car had excellent voice recognition, even if I was blasting down the highway. One clever thing it did was to automatically lower the HVAC fan while you were speaking, then restore it to the previous level afterwards. (Hint, Hint, Tesla!)

15. adurstewitz

adurstewitz P3853, VIN3062

100% Agree - very frustrating.

16. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This^^^

I didn't notice a difference at all above 30mph. My S85 pulls just as hard above 30mph below that the P85 is slightly bonkers :)

17. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Getting my Sig back from service tomorrow. I had listed poor BT hand-free audio quality as an issue, and today they said the corrective action was to replace the microphone. Possibly this will solve the problem, and if so, it points out again how Tesla service (certainly for signature owners!) really wants to go the extra distance to make the car right.

I notice that the new (loaner P85) has better steering wheel button/scrollers but my older ones do work fine, they just don't have the crisp tactile feel especially in the scrolling the the new ones do.

18. steve841

steve841 Active Member

#18 steve841, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I picked my Sig up yesterday from the Dania SC.... Expected the worst - a new scratch, a ding ...whatever (I dread any trip to service). NOT ONE ISSUE!

They did a host of updates - rear hatch seals, new floor mats, rear axle washers, new J1772 adapter, replaced my cracking charge port, rear window clips, P85 badge... AND

In my complaint about the BT, they actually replaced the MCU (17" screen). They mentioned the unit was updated and the BT antennae was rerouted. Tested and while still not perfect, the other party mentioned it was improved.

Oh .. and it appears they did a tire rotation on top of it all ....

Very, very happy. Can't say enough about the Dania crew. :love:

EDIT: Bluetooth ..The mic seems to be overly sensitive picking up ambient noise. As others have mentioned ...Slowing down, a/c fan lowering ... the other party mentioned major improvement in sound quality.

19. texex91

texex91 Banned

Wow, that's impressive on the proactive nature. Nice to see!