Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damn that is cold....and well inefficient

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minus 4 today when I pulled out of the garage. I was especially happy to be able to pre-heat the car from the phone app while it was in my garage. Thankfully I have a short commute cause I would not have had much range today - averaged 577 watts per mile traveling an average 44 MPH. I think that is a new personal record.

• Informative
Reactions: Jurnimon
What time did you leave and what time did your charging complete? The closer to your departure time your charging completes, the warmer the battery will be and the less energy you will use to heat the car and the battery. The HVAC uses heat from the battery to warm the cabin. Cold battery means using the electric heater. In the winter, I always try and schedule charging to be almost done right before I leave. Doing that will afford you much better efficiency. Also, at what temperature did you set your HVAC? You're much better off using the seat heaters than setting the HVAC at a high temp.

Ha, I came here to inquire with the Maine folks about how your S's and X's are holding up with the first round of brutal cold? Guess you beat me to it, thanks for the update! I am also curious if anyone with the X dealt with the snow/snizzle/ice we had this week? I really worry about the doors on the X and a winter climate. Thanks for any insight!

Ha, I came here to inquire with the Maine folks about how your S's and X's are holding up with the first round of brutal cold? Guess you beat me to it, thanks for the update! I am also curious if anyone with the X dealt with the snow/snizzle/ice we had this week? I really worry about the doors on the X and a winter climate. Thanks for any insight!
snizzle?

Regen remained limited during errands today on a preheated car out of a 40F garage. Range Mode off. At times Wh/mi was over 600 but as speeds stabilized and cabin reached temp (68F) that number was in the 400's. I turned off Climate for a bit and it made a small difference in consumption but then I noted the cold-Bjorn-head effect of all that glass. Love the heated seats and wheel. I'm guessing if I had to I could distance drive about 150 miles before having to charge. Heading out for more errands this afternoon, charging a few percent just before departure in the hopes of having full regen. Fortunately I've missed being out in the snizzle, this weekend I might not be so lucky.

I had charged my car at work on Thursday so I did not charge at home before leaving for work Friday morning. That certainly contributed to the high watts per mile. On my way home 3 of the 4 tires were showing low pressure (35 PSI) so that could have had some impact as well. I've had my car for almost exactly a year - overall I've been happy with the performance in the snow. Only complaint is the frequent "driver assistance features unavailable" message with modest amounts of road grime. I have not had that happen this year yet - wonder if shift to radar has had a positive impact on that.

I had charged my car at work on Thursday so I did not charge at home before leaving for work Friday morning. That certainly contributed to the high watts per mile. On my way home 3 of the 4 tires were showing low pressure (35 PSI) so that could have had some impact as well. I've had my car for almost exactly a year - overall I've been happy with the performance in the snow. Only complaint is the frequent "driver assistance features unavailable" message with modest amounts of road grime. I have not had that happen this year yet - wonder if shift to radar has had a positive impact on that.

I have had the driver assistance features unavailable three times this week, as I recall, including on the first leg of my errands today. Since many of my trips are short, around town, it is irrelevant, and it usually clears up next time I start. I usually assume it has to do with sun angle or something if there is no precip underway...

Minus 4 today when I pulled out of the garage. I was especially happy to be able to pre-heat the car from the phone app while it was in my garage. Thankfully I have a short commute cause I would not have had much range today - averaged 577 watts per mile traveling an average 44 MPH. I think that is a new personal record.

Shorter trips in the cold always look a lot worse than longer ones for Wh/mile - the first five or ten miles are much worse than the rest in my (still limited) experience. How long was your trip?

It still sounds like a much more pleasant experience than the last time I drove an ICE car in that kinda of weather. I was really impressed that my TDI started in that cold without massive drama, though.