Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damp cloth on super charger handle to reduce ramp down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 is new so I haven't had the opportunity to Supercharge yet. Is it just the handle that gets hot or is it the entire cable?
If it's the handle where the sensor resides, but if the entire cable gets hot during the supercharging process, then artificially keeping the handle cool with a damp cloth could cause the rest of the cable to become too hot.

Reactions: Ludalicious
YouTuber was Kyle Conner (former Tesla employee) that started Out of Spec Motoring. He's done various roadtrips and the cannon ball run.
His last road trip was with his girlfriend from NC to FL (work) then to SD. I think it was the episode where they went thru KS that they talked about and tested this (probably on several videos tho).
One of his YT channels: https://www.youtube.com/c/OutofSpecMotoring/videos
I think the road trip I was referring to was on another YT channel tho as I don't see it.

There’s a YouTuber who is putting a damp cloth on the handle of gen 2 chargers to keep the handle from getting too hot and forcing a reduction of charging rate.

Anyone know if this would work?

I recently did this trick at a Supercharger when it was hot outside. Seemed to help. The towel was very warm after my SC session.

Adds a nice touch to Supercharging - you get a hot towel when you are done :)

Timely post. I supercharged at Burbank supercharger this morning and saw a model S next to me with a towel over plugged in handle. I thought the owner is just trying to avoid getting COVID from the handle, but this makes more sense. I will try it sometime.

It just doesn't seems possible for the towel to cool it long enough to make a difference. Seems like it would just heat up the towel then perpetuating the hot condition.

I doubt it makes any difference. The throttling should primarily be battery cooling. Throw a powerful fan pointing at the grill might help. If you have a faulty charge handle heating up it might help for a short bit. The towel (wet or not) could just as much act as an insulator.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
YouTuber was Kyle Conner (former Tesla employee) that started Out of Spec Motoring. He's done various roadtrips and the cannon ball run.
His last road trip was with his girlfriend from NC to FL (work) then to SD. I think it was the episode where they went thru KS that they talked about and tested this (probably on several videos tho).
One of his YT channels: https://www.youtube.com/c/OutofSpecMotoring/videos
I think the road trip I was referring to was on another YT channel tho as I don't see it.

Brief discussion with Kyle. He was clear this was his opinion and not 'fact'. I do recall him experimenting on his roadtrips tho. I think he kept cool rags in a ice cooler. I have a fridge and an internal filled beaded eye cooling maks that seems like it would stay cooler than a towel.

Discussion:
He doesn't believe there to be a safety risk. [after all you can charge in the rain and snow so the handle and connection can get wet]
It could be fooling the sensor to allow higher power when the handle gets hot however the handle is cool to the touch (but what matters are the connectors).
He believes the temperature limitation was put in for customer experience (not burning hands) more than actual heat build up in the DC connection.

I doubt it makes any difference. The throttling should primarily be battery cooling. Throw a powerful fan pointing at the grill might help. If you have a faulty charge handle heating up it might help for a short bit. The towel (wet or not) could just as much act as an insulator.

There is a temperature sensor in the Supercharger handle. If it reaches a certain temperature, the SC will throttle down to keep the handle cool. These often overheat when very hot outside.

There is a temperature sensor in the Supercharger handle. If it reaches a certain temperature, the SC will throttle down to keep the handle cool. These often overheat when very hot outside.

I'm sure it does, and it's to detect a faulty / weak connection. I've never had the handle get above luke warm.
Maybe it doesn't get hot enough here in the Northeast.

I'm sure it does, and it's to detect a faulty / weak connection. I've never had the handle get above luke warm.
Maybe it doesn't get hot enough here in the Northeast.

A 100 year record was broken in Death Valley yesterday. 130F.

I'll be supercharging nearby this week, and will do a little experiment. No wet towel for first 1/2 of the charge, and then a cold wet towel for the second 1/2. Evaporative cooling really does work, and I'll post the results to prove it.

Reactions: wreighven
A 100 year record was broken in Death Valley yesterday. 130F.

I'll be supercharging nearby this week, and will do a little experiment. No wet towel for first 1/2 of the charge, and then a cold wet towel for the second 1/2. Evaporative cooling really does work, and I'll post the results to prove it.

Bogus test since the kW are high at the start and low at the end.

Only way to compare is to have two cars at the same battery level side by side.

Or do it a whole bunch of times with and without cooling cloth and note the battery level, temp and KW (lot of work to really figure it out).

Kyle is awesome, I want to be his friend. His videos are fun to watch

I haven’t tried the towel trick yet, it seems like too much of a safety risk than it’s worth. but it’s a bummer if it’s true that this sensor exists purely to keep the handle cool enough to touch