Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan Rather Reports (tonight 9/8/09)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
PRESS RELEASE

HDNet's 'Dan Rather Reports' Kicks the Tires on the Electric Car - Forbes.com

DALLAS, Sept. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Tonight's "Dan Rather Reports" examines the coming revolution in transportation--the electric car. While hybrids like the Toyota Prius have sold well, electric car makers - many of them Silicon Valley startups - are rolling out cars with zero emissions, and six- figure sticker prices. The first all-electric to be introduced was the Tesla Roadster.

In tonight's episode, Rather test-drives the new 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport on the busy streets of Manhattan. This two-seater accelerates from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and retails for around $125,000.

Tesla, has just received a 465 million dollar loan from the U.S. Government and plans to use the money to build a larger, seven-person Tesla "S" sedan, which will have a 300 mile range, go from 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and will retail at around $50,000.

Diarmuid O'Connell, vice president for Tesla Motors sees a future in which you no longer stop to "gas up," but to "plug in and charge up." He is already in discussions with many different interested parties. "Convenience stores, 7-Eleven's," O'Connell tells Rather. "Any place where people would reasonably stop to take a break or to grab a meal or to overnight."

One writer who thinks electric cars are coming fast is Dan Neil, Pulitzer Prize winning automotive writer for the Los Angeles Times. "Really, the transformation and the American rolling stock will be breathtaking, I predict," says Neil. "We're going to see millions of electric vehicles on the road very, very soon."

The report concludes with a round table discussion on the future viability of these fascinating electric vehicles and how soon they may actually become the car of choice for American drivers.

Joining Rather in the discussion are Jim Motavalli and Matt DeBord. Motavalli is an environmental writer, speaker and author. He is also a regular contributor to the New York Times Automobile section and Wheels blog, among numerous other publications. Matt DeBord also writes about automobiles and sustainability for national newspapers such as the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times. And, he's a regular contributor to Slates: The Big Money, where he writes the Shifting Gears blog.

"Dan Rather Reports: Electric Cars" premieres on HDNet on Tuesday, September 8 at 8:00 p.m. ET with an encore presentation at 11:00 p.m. ET to accommodate west coast prime time.

Last edited:
In tonight's episode, Rather test-drives the new 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport on the busy streets of Manhattan. This two-seater accelerates from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and retails for around $125,000.

I thought the Sport went from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds? I'm gonna check this out tonight. I'm glad I actually get this channel. Thanks for the heads up.

-Shark2k

HDNet Home Page
HDNet Schedules
drr428.jpg

----

Last edited by a moderator:
So what did you guys think of the show? I like to hear your opinions and you guys tend to me knowledgeable and I would like to hear what you think. Did anybody notice at the end when Rather's was interviewing those two guys the one in the blue search mentioned hydrogen eventually becoming feasible?

-Shark2k

It is too bad more people don't get HDnet. It was a good show. Mostly interviews with interesting people like Dan Neil and Diarmuid O'Connell.

The pace was a little slow at times but they covered a lot of usual topics that forum visitors here would find familiar. No hype, just honest discussion.

The part with Dan Rather driving the Roadster Sport was short and somewhat inconsequential to the rest of the show. There was a focus on Tesla, but they talked about all sorts of other EV makers including the Nissan Leaf and BMW Mini-E. There was a bunch of discussion about plug in hybrids like the Volt as well.

Overall a good intro to many of the pros and cons of EVs and reasons why we should expect to see a lot more of them soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=393&stc=1&d=1252637926.jpg

Attachments

• drtesla.jpg
    drtesla.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 216
Fascinating reminder. Interesting, too, that:
I just programmed my DVR to record the episode tomorrow morn.
I don't know what "DVR" is, possibly one of the old technologies that were common in 'olden times'.
My spouse and I have now discussed this program for about two hours.
Noting that one of the well-informed experts said fast charging would be a critical success factor, it's nearly inconceivable to think that only Tesla and Nissan took that mission seriously, and that only Tesla devoted adequate resources to the question. Had it not been for Superchargers I, for one, think Tesla would not exist today.

Had it not been for Superchargers I, for one, think Tesla would not exist today.
Good point, though I think Tesla would exist just be selling far fewer cars and not have a clear path ahead to becoming a major automotive manufacturer, which I know think is quite likely. Without the Supercharger network far fewer people would be buying Teslas, in my opinion.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Good point, though I think Tesla would exist just be selling far fewer cars and not have a clear path ahead to becoming a major automotive manufacturer, which I know think is quite likely. Without the Supercharger network far fewer people would be buying Teslas, in my opinion.
My primary question is whether they would have been able to raise enough capital without Superchargers, because their growth would have been less stellar.
This might be academic, but it does raise the question about how GM and any other manufacturer that fails to invest in infrastructure, can achieve profitable scale. Frankly the Bolt is typical. Fast Charging will be an option with zero backing from GM. How can that work?
This film keeps me focussed on the exact fundamental issues that still remain true.