TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Danbury (CT) Porsche dealer w/ sign out front saying "We Service Tesla"???

Discussion in 'New England' started by tinm, Jun 27, 2018.

1. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

A relative who lives in CT tells me they've seen a sign out front of the Danbury Porsche/Audi dealership that says "We Service Tesla"....

So the question is -- is this for real!?

This would go against everything I've ever heard Tesla or Elon say about their policy of owning all service centers and not authorizing ANY 3rd party to offer service.

Is the Porsche dealership doing this legit? Does Tesla know they're doing this?

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow to learn more about what they mean. But I'm curious if anyone in CT already knows anything about this.

• Helpful x 1
  2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Sounds like they're desperate.
    No money in EV service... Oil change, lub, brakes, atf fluid, power steering fluid, ???? Evs don't need these.

• Funny x 1
  3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

4. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Well, if you lived in Taiwan and had a Model S shipped there, it's either a Mercedes or Lamborghini stealership that does the work after Tesla air freights them the parts. Presumably they're trained to execute annual services as well.

With that said, I didn't expect the first domestic location for similar work to be Connecticut. Not that flushing brake fluid is prohibitively difficult. Wonder what the scope of their disservice will be and how that will affect warranty work subsequent thereto.

Pilot program? Publicity stunt?

Looking forward to finding out as I won't be back in New England for another couple of months at this rate.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

There's generic service that doesn't need you to get Tesla-specific parts. Tire rotation and changes are obvious ones.

6. cmaster

cmaster Member

Tires, brakes, wheel, suspension, etc...can be serviced at any dealers. Who needs Teslas at a rate of $125/hour? I certainly don't.

• Like x 2
  7. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Most dealers charge high rates. Independent shops can do that work and charge less.

8. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I called Danbury Porsche just now and spoke to a Service guy. Has no clue what ever gave me the idea that there was a sign out front regarding servicing Teslas. So, forget that idea.

Now I have to go back to the relative -- who I drilled and asked multiple times to describe this sign, etc, so that I could verify it before I even posted this thread -- and find out what the heck is going on.

May be a false alarm, folks.

9. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I dunno, Tesla sure is making a fortune off it.

• Like x 1
  10. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Do you have some numbers to back that up?
    Elon has said service is not a profit center. Should show up on financial report.

11. noicepls

noicepls Kill Urban ICE - Save Polar Ice

My Porsche dealer charges $165/hour.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Service handles warranty and some delivery.
    Easy for it not to be a profit center when it's also cost.

(Doesn't mean that Tesla isn't _trying_ to minimize service requirements, just that Mr Musk's statement didn't really mean anything.)

13. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Why do you think that Elons statement didn't mean anything?

14. SSedan

SSedan Member

I see you got an answer but my first thought was maybe body work.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Because there is so much cost in warranty and other prep work that it'd likely always be a cost center even with expensive hourly rates. And, costs would increase if Tesla ever ran their own autonomous taxi network. Independent dealers can make money (or at least cover overhead) on warranty work, while in-house work is a cost center.

That being said, with the EV promise being low maintenance, it doesn't make sense to chase money on maintenance. I think that similarly, making money directly off charging is a tough challenge (pricing is a bear), so it's really not a good idea to try to chase profit directly there either.

16. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

So, it seems you agree with Elon that service won't be a profit center.