Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Danbury (CT) Porsche dealer w/ sign out front saying "We Service Tesla"???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
A relative who lives in CT tells me they've seen a sign out front of the Danbury Porsche/Audi dealership that says "We Service Tesla"....

So the question is -- is this for real!?

This would go against everything I've ever heard Tesla or Elon say about their policy of owning all service centers and not authorizing ANY 3rd party to offer service.

Is the Porsche dealership doing this legit? Does Tesla know they're doing this?

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow to learn more about what they mean. But I'm curious if anyone in CT already knows anything about this.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
A relative who lives in CT tells me they've seen a sign out front of the Danbury Porsche/Audi dealership that says "We Service Tesla"....

So the question is -- is this for real!?

This would go against everything I've ever heard Tesla or Elon say about their policy of owning all service centers and not authorizing ANY 3rd party to offer service.

Is the Porsche dealership doing this legit? Does Tesla know they're doing this?

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow to learn more about what they mean. But I'm curious if anyone in CT already knows anything about this.
Sounds like they're desperate.
No money in EV service... Oil change, lub, brakes, atf fluid, power steering fluid, ???? Evs don't need these.

• Funny
Reactions: Nikxice
Well, if you lived in Taiwan and had a Model S shipped there, it's either a Mercedes or Lamborghini stealership that does the work after Tesla air freights them the parts. Presumably they're trained to execute annual services as well.

With that said, I didn't expect the first domestic location for similar work to be Connecticut. Not that flushing brake fluid is prohibitively difficult. Wonder what the scope of their disservice will be and how that will affect warranty work subsequent thereto.

Pilot program? Publicity stunt?

Looking forward to finding out as I won't be back in New England for another couple of months at this rate.

I called Danbury Porsche just now and spoke to a Service guy. Has no clue what ever gave me the idea that there was a sign out front regarding servicing Teslas. So, forget that idea.

Now I have to go back to the relative -- who I drilled and asked multiple times to describe this sign, etc, so that I could verify it before I even posted this thread -- and find out what the heck is going on.

May be a false alarm, folks.

Do you have some numbers to back that up?
Elon has said service is not a profit center. Should show up on financial report.

Service handles warranty and some delivery.
Easy for it not to be a profit center when it's also cost.

(Doesn't mean that Tesla isn't _trying_ to minimize service requirements, just that Mr Musk's statement didn't really mean anything.)

Why do you think that Elons statement didn't mean anything?

Because there is so much cost in warranty and other prep work that it'd likely always be a cost center even with expensive hourly rates. And, costs would increase if Tesla ever ran their own autonomous taxi network. Independent dealers can make money (or at least cover overhead) on warranty work, while in-house work is a cost center.

That being said, with the EV promise being low maintenance, it doesn't make sense to chase money on maintenance. I think that similarly, making money directly off charging is a tough challenge (pricing is a bear), so it's really not a good idea to try to chase profit directly there either.

Because there is so much cost in warranty and other prep work that it'd likely always be a cost center even with expensive hourly rates. And, costs would increase if Tesla ever ran their own autonomous taxi network. Independent dealers can make money (or at least cover overhead) on warranty work, while in-house work is a cost center.

That being said, with the EV promise being low maintenance, it doesn't make sense to chase money on maintenance. I think that similarly, making money directly off charging is a tough challenge (pricing is a bear), so it's really not a good idea to try to chase profit directly there either.
So, it seems you agree with Elon that service won't be a profit center.