TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Danbury, CT Supercharger

Discussion in 'New England' started by tanker5, May 5, 2017.

1. tanker5

tanker5 Member

I might have just found something interesting in Danbury Fair Mall. It's a rather large construction zone located in the lower level of the parking garage and takes up a row of about 15-20 spots. I tried to peak inside to see what is hidden behind the green curtain. I couldn't get better pictures without looking suspicious. There are several large wooden crates inside. Also lots of conduit and wires, some masonry supplies and a couple backhoes. Clearly, something is in the early stages of being built here. I did ask the mall concierge if they knew anything about this. They said they were not sure.

Can anyone confirm that this is the site of the Danbury Supercharger??

Danbury Supercharger Site??.jpg

2. tanker5

tanker5 Member

So, good news and bad news. The bad news is that according to the property manager of the Danbury Fair Mall, this is NOT the supercharger location. However, the management company is "actively working with Tesla to build a Supercharger on the Danbury Fair Mall property". After all of the details are worked out, there will be an announcement made.

3. shelbri

shelbri Member

Stopped by today and did a little sleuthing.

Crates do not look like Supercharger crates I've seen in the past. I don't think these are Tesla Superchargers.

Dropbox - Sunday, May 14

4. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

Looks like construction has now started. Outside. I took a guess at the location based on pictures: supercharge.info

5. tanker5

tanker5 Member

Yes, Construction has begun just by the main entrance of the mall Parking lot. Based on the area which is being fenced off, this one will be huge.

• Like x 1
  6. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I hear the size is 20 stalls, indeed SuperChargers.
    Back when the Milford CT Post Mall SuperChargers were being built the electrical contractor told me he had a bid in on a proposed Danbury site.
    Supercharger info web site now lists the Danbury site as being under construction.
    supercharge.info
    Wow!

7. middle_of_here

i am inappropriately excited by this, given i live in the area

• Funny x 1
  8. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Makes a good safety valve for me when I'm driving back from Boston in the winter ... though if I can't make it the last 12 miles home I'm probably cutting it a bit too tight.

9. middle_of_here

how long does it takes to build a supercharger location?

10. maz4278

maz4278 Member

I too live 15 minutes from here and is a nice safety valve for when I'm coming back from NY. Anyone have pictures of exactly where it is getting built in the mall lot? Is it in front by Dicks or in back by the garage?

11. maz4278

maz4278 Member

I've seen anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. depends on a host of factors......

12. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

There are multiple inspection steps along the way, during construction, from what I witnessed in Milford. These inspections can slow the progress and are site dependent. There are often local town/county or state inspectors who must review and sign off on various parts of the work. Then I am aware that Tesla has an inspection and "turn on" crew(s) who review everything, on site and as built, prior to turn on. They are the team that installs the charger numbers and pretty much check everything. Also the local utility company probably has some turn on team as well.

At Milford, the Tesla team pulled all the skins off of each of the car stall chargers as well as the supercharger boxes, tested each with their Model S, then buttoned them up and affixed the bay number. They also labeled the large supercharger boxes. It was a two person team with the electrical contractor also on site.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Danbury, CT

Interstates: I-84
    US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None

I-84:
    To: West Hartford, CT - 54.3 miles
    Diversion: 1.6 miles
    To: End (I-90 near Sturbridge, MA) - 103 miles

Lee, MA (I-84,CT-8,u,CT-8,MA-8,US-20): 90.8 miles
    West Hartford, CT (I-84,CT-72,CT-9,CT-71): 54.3 miles
    Milford, CT (I-84,CT-34,u,CT-25,CT-15,CT-MP,I-95,US-1): 38.2 miles
    Darien, CT (south), CT (US-7,CT-33,u,US-7,I-95): 27.0 miles
    Greenwich, CT (north), CT (I-84,I-684,NY-HRP,CT-15): 40.0 miles
    Tarrytown, NY (I-84,I-684,NY-117,I-87,NY-119): 38.5 miles
    Newburgh, NY (I-84,NY-300): 41.1 miles
    Moosic, PA (I-84,I-81): 138 miles
    Erie, PA (I-84,NY-17,I-86,I-81,NY-17,NY-96,NY-17C,NY-282,NY-17,I-86,I-90): 440 miles
    Albany-Crossgates Mall, NY (I-84,NY-TSP,I-90): 121 miles

• Informative x 1
  14. tanker5

tanker5 Member

My girlfriend was in the area yesterday evening and she took these pictures for me. She said she only saw 5 Superchargers. As far as I understand, each Supercharger controls 2 stalls. There are 5 more Tesla crates, but those crates appear to be smaller than Supercharger crates. Unless there are more Superchargers in that white truck (or elsewhere), this might actually only be a 10-stall Supercharger.

But, then again, there are also a number of spots with cones in front of them. I am assuming that these are the spaces which will become the charging stalls. If so, there are more than 10 spaces with cones in front of them. But, less than 20, for now, at least.

Still early in the construction process. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also -- Interesting to note that the fence that was being put up a couple of weeks ago has been taken down.

This location is also farther from the mall entrance than the other EV chargers at the mall. Probably a good thing. Less chance of people ice-ing the stalls. Not too far of a walk to Macys, Chipotle, LL Bean, Brio, and Cheesecake factory. But, it will be a pain for people who are supercharging to come back and move their cars in order to avoid paying the penalty fees for leaving their cars plugged in after charging is complete.

IMG_8031.JPG.jpeg IMG_8032.JPG.jpeg IMG_8033.JPG.jpeg IMG_8034.JPG.jpeg IMG_8035.JPG.jpeg IMG_8036.JPG.jpeg IMG_8037.JPG.jpeg IMG_8038.JPG.jpeg IMG_8039.JPG.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  15. middle_of_here

I wonder if there are two sets of 10, making 20 all up. I know they have multiple "clusters" of chargers at some of the I-95 rest stops (Stamford for example)

16. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

Mods might want to consider moving Danbury from the 'Mid-Atlantic'. New England's already a pretty small region, would hate to see western Connecticut secede. :confused:

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. Dan_A

Dan_A Member

Was just going to say the same thing. I will probably be at the mall later this week, I'll have to see what's going on. From the pictures it looks like they are doing work in two spots, one along the edge in the main lot kinda near Brio, and the other truck is parked on the other side of the perimeter road in the outer lot. Interesting....

18. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Isn't that the area where the carnival sets up each year? That would be a kick in the teeth for people traveling that week.

19. middle_of_here

#19 middle_of_here, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Looks like they are 135kw superchargers located on the entry road near ll bean

Attached Files:

20. Dan_A

Dan_A Member

The latest pictures show them doing work in two locations, would they possibly separate the chargers, half on each side of the entrance road?