Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Danbury, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might have just found something interesting in Danbury Fair Mall. It's a rather large construction zone located in the lower level of the parking garage and takes up a row of about 15-20 spots. I tried to peak inside to see what is hidden behind the green curtain. I couldn't get better pictures without looking suspicious. There are several large wooden crates inside. Also lots of conduit and wires, some masonry supplies and a couple backhoes. Clearly, something is in the early stages of being built here. I did ask the mall concierge if they knew anything about this. They said they were not sure.

Can anyone confirm that this is the site of the Danbury Supercharger??

Danbury Supercharger Site??.jpg

So, good news and bad news. The bad news is that according to the property manager of the Danbury Fair Mall, this is NOT the supercharger location. However, the management company is "actively working with Tesla to build a Supercharger on the Danbury Fair Mall property". After all of the details are worked out, there will be an announcement made.

There are multiple inspection steps along the way, during construction, from what I witnessed in Milford. These inspections can slow the progress and are site dependent. There are often local town/county or state inspectors who must review and sign off on various parts of the work. Then I am aware that Tesla has an inspection and "turn on" crew(s) who review everything, on site and as built, prior to turn on. They are the team that installs the charger numbers and pretty much check everything. Also the local utility company probably has some turn on team as well.

At Milford, the Tesla team pulled all the skins off of each of the car stall chargers as well as the supercharger boxes, tested each with their Model S, then buttoned them up and affixed the bay number. They also labeled the large supercharger boxes. It was a two person team with the electrical contractor also on site.

Danbury, CT

Interstates: I-84
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None

I-84:
To: West Hartford, CT - 54.3 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: End (I-90 near Sturbridge, MA) - 103 miles

Lee, MA (I-84,CT-8,u,CT-8,MA-8,US-20): 90.8 miles
West Hartford, CT (I-84,CT-72,CT-9,CT-71): 54.3 miles
Milford, CT (I-84,CT-34,u,CT-25,CT-15,CT-MP,I-95,US-1): 38.2 miles
Darien, CT (south), CT (US-7,CT-33,u,US-7,I-95): 27.0 miles
Greenwich, CT (north), CT (I-84,I-684,NY-HRP,CT-15): 40.0 miles
Tarrytown, NY (I-84,I-684,NY-117,I-87,NY-119): 38.5 miles
Newburgh, NY (I-84,NY-300): 41.1 miles
Moosic, PA (I-84,I-81): 138 miles
Erie, PA (I-84,NY-17,I-86,I-81,NY-17,NY-96,NY-17C,NY-282,NY-17,I-86,I-90): 440 miles
Albany-Crossgates Mall, NY (I-84,NY-TSP,I-90): 121 miles

• Informative
Reactions: ArtInCT
My girlfriend was in the area yesterday evening and she took these pictures for me. She said she only saw 5 Superchargers. As far as I understand, each Supercharger controls 2 stalls. There are 5 more Tesla crates, but those crates appear to be smaller than Supercharger crates. Unless there are more Superchargers in that white truck (or elsewhere), this might actually only be a 10-stall Supercharger.

But, then again, there are also a number of spots with cones in front of them. I am assuming that these are the spaces which will become the charging stalls. If so, there are more than 10 spaces with cones in front of them. But, less than 20, for now, at least.

Still early in the construction process. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also -- Interesting to note that the fence that was being put up a couple of weeks ago has been taken down.

This location is also farther from the mall entrance than the other EV chargers at the mall. Probably a good thing. Less chance of people ice-ing the stalls. Not too far of a walk to Macys, Chipotle, LL Bean, Brio, and Cheesecake factory. But, it will be a pain for people who are supercharging to come back and move their cars in order to avoid paying the penalty fees for leaving their cars plugged in after charging is complete.

IMG_8031.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8032.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8033.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8034.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8035.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8036.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8037.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8038.JPG.jpeg
IMG_8039.JPG.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8040.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_8040.JPG.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 114
She said she only saw 5 Superchargers. As far as I understand, each Supercharger controls 2 stalls. There are 5 more Tesla crates, but those crates appear to be smaller than Supercharger crates. Unless there are more Superchargers in that white truck (or elsewhere), this might actually only be a 10-stall Supercharger.

I wonder if there are two sets of 10, making 20 all up. I know they have multiple "clusters" of chargers at some of the I-95 rest stops (Stamford for example)

Mods might want to consider moving Danbury from the 'Mid-Atlantic'. New England's already a pretty small region, would hate to see western Connecticut secede. :confused:
Was just going to say the same thing. I will probably be at the mall later this week, I'll have to see what's going on. From the pictures it looks like they are doing work in two spots, one along the edge in the main lot kinda near Brio, and the other truck is parked on the other side of the perimeter road in the outer lot. Interesting....